Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Morning all,

Will be purchasing new a class shortly 3500 kg. Options out there regards chassis seems to be mainly “wide” Fiat or Al-Ko.
Is there a definitive plus side for the Al-Ko, bearing in mind the extra expenditure ?

Thanks in advance

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I have driven the Ducato with the Fiat axle and the Ducato with the AlKo and the alko is a better ride but needs to be greased every year to avoid any problems :)

OP
OP
Jim lea

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our first motorhome as on a Fiat chassis and the present one is on the Alko Maxi. Alko uses torsion bar suspension rather than the leaf spring out of a horse drawn cart on the Fiat. Alko gives a much better ride IMHO.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Our first motorhome as on a Fiat chassis and the present one is on the Alko Maxi. Alko uses torsion bar suspension rather than the leaf spring out of a horse drawn cart on the Fiat. Alko gives a much better ride IMHO.
Yes - a big improvement

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Fiat with full air suspension is better than both, no torsion bars and no leaf springs, better payload and smoother ride. Plus its self leveling and you can lift the rear end for ferries etc.

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I would slightly disagree - I have had three motorhomes, two on a Peugeot chassis and one on AlKo. The AlKo suspension with its transverse torsion bar I found to give a very hard and unforgiving ride (confirmed by a dealer I spoke to at a motorhome show), especially on our poor road surfaces. But on the plus side, road holding is marginally better. On balance I prefer the leaf spring approach because it seems slightly softer and doesn't shake the inside of the motorhome so much when traveling over bad road surfaces.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Should any repairs be required Alko will be dearer. If you want to add semi air for increased payload Alko will be dearer.
Floor height of an Alko chassis may be lower as indeed ground clearance maybe lower.
Only had 2 vans, both on Alko and happy.
Annual greasing of Alko needs to be done with wheel suspended, in past I have asked mot man to do it, I supplied grease gun and he was happy to do so.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Didn’t Morris Minors and Morris Marinas have torsion bar suspension?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Didn’t Morris Minors and Morris Marinas have torsion bar suspension?
Only on the front. Despite leaf springs being referred to as cart springs the reason they fell out of favour on cars was the need to more accurately locate the axle (handling) and on off-road vehicles because they limit wheel travel. In both cases the reduction in unsprung weight is a bonus. Technically there's no reason to think they are a poor solution for the rear of a commercial vehicle (or motorhome). The reason for the popularity of Alko is the lower floor height allows for a double floor and a wider track is possible - less important now that Fiat offer the Camper chassis. The only real improvement (in comfort and adjustable ride height) that can be made for motorhome use is full air as already suggested.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
First van was on the Fiat Camping Car chassis, 2nd on Al-Ko both 3500 kg, Al-Ko was a far better ride. Current van is on an Al-Ko 4500 kg bone shaker ride even the front crashes over bumps.
I think it really depends on layou tand weight distribution only real way to find out is to drive both, not very practical.
Big down side of the Fiat is you can't have a double floor, personaly I would go for the Al-ko.

OP
OP
Jim lea

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks all, really helped out. Just put deposit down on a 4400kg double floor al ko Rapido a class

OP
OP
Jim lea

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Did you go for a completely different van or just upgraded to a maxi chassis to give a sensible payload.?

Completely different van Lenny, can’t wait

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back