Titre test and Rabies prior to Jan 1st 2021 (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I know this has all been done prior to end 2019 but we have been studying the advice on HM.Gov.UK and correct me if I’m wrong.
It states that there will be no change on requirements of your dogs re entering UK after a no deal from EU but if leaving after 1/01/2021 the Titre test and Rabies will be required.
So in effect we can leave UK in November 2020 without doing any of the new requirement and will still be able to return in 2021 so no different for this winter? Obviously next year we will definitely know what is required to enter the EU and will have to do whatever is required.
My reason for looking is both our boys Rabies are due next year and with the Titre they recommend having booster prior to test as the possibility of positive result is more likely. With the CV19 at the moment it’s proving difficult to get vets appointments and am thinking if not required yet leave until next year when we will hopefully have a lot more info (or not) and hopefully Covid easing,
I would point out I have considered all the possibilities arising from not doing Titre and can find no reason as to why we should not wait until 2021.
Unless someone knows differently?😊🤔

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
With the CV19 at the moment it’s proving difficult to get vets appointments
or get them done abroad where they are working normally albeit with ppe.
I wouldn't bother as you are correct in what you state. I only had Alfie done last year as returning from the UK into eu would have required it if they hadn't kept kicking the can down the road.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you check the govt website, I'd depends on how as a country we are classified. In some circumstances ie if the UK is classed as a 3rd world or similar then rabies titre tests are required on return to the UK. I suppose it depends how amicably we actual leave at the year end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Yes I have considered that and feel it’s probably unlikely we would be classed as third world 🤞
I think if we leave on WTO then we will immediately be on the Third Country list. We are in the same situation regarding travel with Barney and have been trying to get our Vet to issue the AHC (Animal Health Cert) which proves the Rabies & Titre, but they don't seem to know or want to know what the rules are/going to be. The AHC is only useable if you leave the UK within 10 days of issue and only lasts (must return within) 4 months max.

We have designed our trip around the AHC meaning we will be back before the end of the year (had planned to be in Spain for Xmas and New Year). My reading of the Gov site is that since we have already left the EU we need the AHC to return, even in 2020?

Would love it if I was wrong on that!

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There are however three options we become (a) unlisted (b)part 1 (c) part 2
As you say if we are unlisted then titre required.
I suppose if EU want to really rub it in they could go for that but I believe and hope unlikely so let’s hope one of these ?

Third countries can apply to the European Commission to be listed under either Part 1 or Part 2 of EU Pet Travel Regulations.

Part 1 listed countries operate under similar rules as EU member states.

You’ll need to obtain documents from an official vet that will replace the EU pet passport. The type of document you need depends on whether the UK becomes a Part 1 or Part 2 listed country.

Part 1 listed country status
If the UK becomes a Part 1 listed country, you must have your pet microchipped and vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before travel. You’ll need to make sure your pet’s rabies vaccinations are kept up to date and make sure your dog has tapeworm treatment if needed.

You must also apply for a new document, the UK pet passport. You can use this for travel to the EU for your pet’s lifetime (or until full) as long as your pet’s rabies vaccinations are kept up to date.

Part 2 listed country status
If the UK becomes a Part 2 listed country, you must have your pet microchipped and vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before travel. You’ll need to make sure your pet’s rabies vaccinations are kept up to date and make sure your dog has tapeworm treatment if needed.

You must also visit an official vet no more than 10 days before you travel to get an AHC confirming that your pet is microchipped and vaccinated against rabies.

Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to the EU if the UK becomes a Part 2 listed country. On arrival in the EU, pet owners travelling with pets need to enter through a designated TPE. At the TPE, you may need to present proof of microchip, rabies vaccination and tapeworm treatment if required

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
IanRJ Here's what they say about entering UK.
Overview
You can enter or return to the UK with your pet cat, dog or ferret if it:
Dogs must also usually have a tapeworm treatment.
Your pet may be put into quarantine for up to 4 months if you do not follow these rules - or refused entry if you travelled by sea. You’re responsible for any fees or charges.
You must follow extra rules if the animals will be:

May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That is currently - but will that remain the case after Jan 1 2021?
from what we can make of it they say that there will be no change in the entry to UK from EU and you can only go with what they are saying.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
If you check the govt website, I'd depends on how as a country we are classified. In some circumstances ie if the UK is classed as a 3rd world or similar then rabies titre tests are required on return to the UK. I suppose it depends how amicably we actual leave at the year end.
I read as we may need Titre test depending how we are listed to prove that a dog leaving a rabies free island does not have rabies, when entering a continent that does!!
However, the rules for returning will remain as at present and no further restrictions will apply.
But I may be wrong.............

May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
from what we can make of it they say that there will be no change in the entry to UK from EU and you can only go with what they are saying.
Of course - just seems some degree of ambiguity with the statements. I guess if we have all of the requirements for re-entry to UK (Rabies/Tapeworm) then there should be no issue getting back in.

I have a friendly Vet in Spain who is very amenable to the Tapeworm treatment dates for travelling (we don't usually get back to the Tunnel before the expiry of the Tapeworm treatment) which BTW he charges €12 for.

Perhaps the French Vets may not be so easygoing in terms of completing the 'UK Pet Passport' for the treatment if that is no longer a legal document in EU - though I doubt they'd turn away money for the service (€53 last October)?

If we cant get our Vets to clarify the situation here in UK I guess we are going to find out at the end of the year - I'm hoping to be through the tunnel on 15th this month and take it from there! If the worst happens - then I suppose a very sleepy dog in the back of the MoHo when checking in to the tunnel ...

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I'm hoping to be through the tunnel on 15th this month and take it from there! If the worst happens - then I suppose a very sleepy dog in the back of the MoHo when checking in to the tunnel ...
No one seems to check dogs going out from the UK but they charge £18 for the privilege. o_O

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If we cant get our Vets to clarify the situation here in UK I guess we are going to find out at the end of the year - I'm hoping to be through the tunnel on 15th this month and take it from there! If the worst happens - then I suppose a very sleepy dog in the back of the MoHo when checking in to the tunnel
We may be in the same boat but we will deal with that when it happens good luck and safe travels😊

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If you go for the Titre test phone around your local vets. Apparently there are only two recognised labs but the prices vets charge vary considerably, we found a difference of £120 .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back