tissington trail and carsington water questions (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
what are the best mh sites for getting on the tissington trail or a nice ride in the peak district , and, are you allowed to ride round carsinton water ? or do the fisherman get a bit humpy..

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
We stopped at Uppertown Farm back in July shortly after lockdown (1!) ended. It’s basic facilities but suited us fine. The reservoir was very busy but we cycled part of it with no problems, and it appeared that others were doing a full circuit (assuming that’s possible?)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
thank you, having just fitted a biker carrier im now keen to know where is best now given that overseas travel is off limits for a while, maybe even next year is in doubt, so like many I'm rediscovering out own fair isle

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
There are loads. Brundcliffe Farm CL has access straight onto the High Peak Trail. You could go from there north to Parsley Hay, where it meets the Tissington Trail. Then south down the Tissington to Ashbourn, then cross country around Carsington, then pick up the High Peak Trail again back home. It’s a route I’ve done several times. Really nice ride.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Can second upper town right at carsingtonwater basic site but at £8.50 can’t fault it and can arrive early leave late if you wish

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Peak District is great for off-road cycleways.
All old railways, so no big hills.
Loads of camp sites, of all denominations.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Done the High Peak and Tissington loop a few times. There is also a CL right in Tissington. If you include Carsington water and then do both trails it will be about 30ish miles mostly flat along the trails with a few hills between them.

I would start in Tissington, head for Bradbourne then onto Carsington. Go round Carsington Water and head for the High Peak trail. Do the High Peak to Parsley Hay and then return along the Tissington Trail. All the hills will be done at the start then.

I can recommend the Gate pub in Brassington. Very quaint and the food is great though not cheap, but is cooked by a proper Chef who cares about the food.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
thank you ! all gold !

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Warning, Callow Top Caravan Park....allegedly a “Premier Park”
Booked 3 nights there last year...stayed for just 1

Couldn't stand the Shaved heads, horrendous top of voice language, arse cracks, string vests......and the men were worse
Rowdy pub on site
There were unsupervised Ferrel kids EVERYWHERE,...not our scene Im afraid

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
C&CC Ashbourne (one of the few sites that kept it's toilet / shower block open, is about 3 miles from Ashbourne end of the Tissington Trail. Apart from about 500yards of A road, quiet lanes can link to the Carsington Water routes. Somehow (legs hurt a lot after) a couple of weeks ago, I managed to do a big loop from the site via Carsington up a serious hill onto the High Peaks trail that linked to the Tissington through to Ashbourne and back to the site for a lie down.
Carsington was very busy with lots of walkers, made cycling on the shared perimeter path quite tedious. The trails were much better. Tissington had a number of cafe stops at former stations, but High Peaks was in my view the nicest ride being a windier route that you could imagine that little tank engine really having to puff away.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
thank you, having just fitted a biker carrier im now keen to know where is best now given that overseas travel is off limits for a while, maybe even next year is in doubt, so like many I'm rediscovering out own fair isle
You could try the ride around Coniston. From the C&MC site on the lake side.
Phil

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Roadwarrior, have you ever cycled the Manifold Way ?
Thats another nice one. Very different to the other peak trails.
Runs from Holme End near Hartington down to Waterhouses.
Its a good one to know about because it’s a lot less exposed if the weather is iffy.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
Have stayed at Rivendale Holiday park lots of times. Very well located for Tissington trail - just over the road from it. Nice segmented pitches. Onsite bar and cafe nice when they are open.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Have stayed at Rivendale Holiday park lots of times. Very well located for Tissington trail - just over the road from it. Nice segmented pitches. Onsite bar and cafe nice when they are open.
Sure it's closed which is a real shame

Ashbourne Heights is right on the trail and very good.. we opted for an en suite pitch for and extra £5 which was brilliant as we had a toilet/ shower and drying room all to ourselves

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Visited callow top last year,was quite,pub was closed. But very steep access onto tissington trail

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Tissington Trail;

Be aware: Ashbourne is at about 100m and the other end at Parsley Hay is at 350m

Whilst a 800 foot climb over several miles is no real effort to a regular cyclist.
I did it a few years ago, the wrong way around, Top to bottom to top, (Parsley Hay to Ashbourne and back) with a bunch of irregular cyclists.

One ended up walking the last 3 miles, and at least two others promised they would never get on a bike again (A promise they have kept as far as I know)

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
what are the best mh sites for getting on the tissington trail or a nice ride in the peak district , and, are you allowed to ride round carsinton water ? or do the fisherman get a bit humpy..
Whitehouse Farm CL in Heathcote. 200 metres to trail through a gap and your off.quiet and great views. Used to own it.
hartingtons nice.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Another vote for Ashbourne Heights

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
thank you everybody - what a mine of information you all are.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Peak District is great for off-road cycleways.
All old railways, so no big hills.
Loads of camp sites, of all denominations.
Once did the whitepeak marathon which was a gentle climb all the way I thought well what goes up must come down soon.... Well it didn't till mile 25 and then it dropped down like a lead balloon which on tired legs wasn't funny!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back