Tires Again (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have just sold our motor home which had 4 almost brand new Michelin Agilis Camping car tires. We have now purchased a new to us Motor home which will shortly need a new set of tires, I'm reluctant to fork out a fortune again on tires. Our original MH came with Continental camper tires which were great on the road, both in the wet and in the dry. However on anything other than a tarmac road or even on gravel on tarmac they would struggle to pull the MH and loose traction.
I replaced them with the Agilis camper which I was also quiet happy with. The Michelin were rated with a M&S mark which to be honest I don't know how they qualified for it as there was a slight improvement in grip, but nothing worth getting excited about.
I have been doing a search on tires and the Michelin's have become very expensive. Almost double the cost of some ordinary van tires. My thinking is would the Michelin's last twice as long as ordinary van tires?
My other concern is would van tires without the extra strength that Camping car tires are supposed to have in there walls still perform as well on the road.
I drove a sprinter van with ordinary van tires which would sometimes be left standing on the driveway for several days/weeks which never seemed to cause any problems with the walls of the tires and I seemed to get better mileage out of the tire than I did with the MH with camping car tires.
I might also go for either 4 season tires or M&S rated to hopefully have better grip.

I did read a threads some time ago but can't find it now where a couple of MH'ers were happy with Vredestine winter tires which they used all year round.
What are your thoughts folks

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I like Toyo H09 winter tyres, we are getting them on our new to us motorhome. Great grip on snow, mud, grass, sites, good wear.
Decent price too.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I would do your own research and make your own choice but would say the following.

It's about weight, weight and more weight.

It's about standing still for long periods with weight weight and more weight.

In terms of winter tyres, I fitted full on snow tyres to mine a few weeks ago for a ski trip and they were amazing in the snow. I refused to believe all the hype until I used them, whilst other's reached for chains, I drove right on by. They will now come back off and be replaced by the michelin M&S tyres. which are really good in my opinion.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
just put a set of these on van note they are 12ply

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would do your own research and make your own choice but would say the following.

In terms of winter tyres, I fitted full on snow tyres to mine a few weeks ago for a ski trip and they were amazing in the snow. I refused to believe all the hype until I used them, whilst other's reached for chains, I drove right on by. They will now come back off and be replaced by the michelin M&S tyres. which are really good in my opinion.

Which type of snow tyres though did you fit, think that's what the OP wants to know, there are loads, some better than others.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User

Where we live we switch to winter tyres in Nov and back again around April.Winter tyres are amazing in the snow. My car with winter tyres
has better grip than my Defender.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Which type of snow tyres though did you fit, think that's what the OP wants to know, there are loads, some better than others.

Nankang Winter Activas

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Where we live we use snow tyres from Nov to April and definitely some are better than others. I had a cheap pair on the front of my car I dumped them as in my opinion they were dangerous. worst than useless. Four seasons tires are OK in snow but not as good as full blown snow tires. The postman pulled me out of a ditch, I was in my Defender. He was in his Renault kango with Michelin Alpine snow tyres. Most embarrassing.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I have been led to believe that you can put more air in the Michelin’s which is allegedly better with heavier vans, don’t know if this is true someone will be along in a minute no doubt!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Welcome to the club. They are amazing are they not?

The only down side to them are that the people who don’t fit them (the vast majority) think that you are driving like a lunatic when in fact it is them that are taking their lives in their hands.

I would not now consider driving in winter with ‘normal’ tyres on.

Ian

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Tyres can make the difference between life and death.
Camper tyres are designed to take the constant load of a motorhome, few commercials are fully loaded all the time. For a couple of hundred pounds you could save your own life and other road users. Its a no brainer.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Look at the Blackcircle own brand winter tyre. £100 a tyre fitted. They are also rated for a higher load (121) than the Camping tyres (116). Having 6 fitted and they worked out £75 cheaper than the Michelin camper tyre for only 4

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
We leave the winters on all year around, always have, great grip all year.

Which brand do you run on and what sort of mileage do you think you will get out of them? We switch back to summer tyres around April as when the temperature averages over 9C the winter tyres start to wear out quicker I'm told.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have been led to believe that you can put more air in the Michelin’s which is allegedly better with heavier vans, don’t know if this is true someone will be along in a minute no doubt!

I was running my previous MH with 5 Bar, 70 psi in the front and 5.5 Bar 80 psi in the rear. I think the tyres were marked with a max of 60 psi. which I am told was to comply with USA law. I phoned Michelin in Clermont Ferrad which is there head office, I was told the recommended tyre pressures for a Motor Home were as I had been running them. 70 psi in the front and 80 psi in the rear, they suggested I could reduce the front to 65 psi if I wanted a softer ride, I did try them at 65 psi but I could feel the steering was a lot heavier and the steering felt woolly. I didn't like it.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Quite a few of us use Michelin 4 seasons 2
If i could get Michelin winter at the next change I would and keep them on all year round.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No

I was sceptical too until I put a set of snow tyres on a Renault kango van in Bulgaria the difference was amazing it turned it into a tractor almost !
I would definitely fit proper winter tyres if I was going somewhere in the mountains.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Broken Link Removed
Think I am going to give the above a go.
They are commercial van four season tyres.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Just had 4 Pirelli Winter tyres delivered £79 each, having them fitted tomorrow ready for the Alps next week.
Will you run on them just for the winter or all year round?

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.