Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Hi all....... embarked on a journey from Darkest Cornwall to Malvern for the FOL...got as far as Tiverton on the M5 when i felt in the steering wheel what I thought was one of the front tires becoming unbalanced, slowed down from 55 to 40, ...getting worse, then suddenly a lot of noise from the offside rear. Luckily next to an exit junction, pulled up straight after the junction exit onto the A38. The outer rear tire had decided to shred itself, and it was obvious that a section of tire tread had turned into a rotary whip and removed half of the wheel arch!
I had been toying with the idea of fitting a tire monitor system, but the cost of having a 6 wheel system put me off, well,...having to spend £175 on a new tire and innertube, Plus,,,,£300 to have the wheel arch rebuilt from new...I am sure you get my drift.....I am convinced that had I had a monitoring system, then it would have allerted me to the puncture before it became apparent by vibration. Luckily the rear axle has 4 wheels, so although the tire was shredded, we could continue to the exit on the inner wheel without damaging the wheel rim...LESSON LEARNT

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Commisserations. Coming back from Spain this Spring we had the inner rear go too, but luckily it was overnight and my morning pre set-off checks picked up the bulging outer, carrying so much extra weight.

At the Galp station 400metres away, the attendant rang a mobile tyre fitter man from his own village who turned up after 50 minutes and repaired the puncture & re-fitted the wheel for ---- 20 euros!! In Britain, they would have started at £100 for the call out.

I've since fitted TyrePal and feel better knowing the alarm will sound if a rear deflates whilst in motion.

OP
OP
robert groves

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
I will look at TyrePal online....another thing that caught me out on the bus.....nearside nuts are Left Hand Thread !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
i have tyrepal on my van and find it very reasuring knowing whats going on. and yes many wheel nuts are lh thread on left

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I just bought the Tyrepal Solar version (for 4 Wheels) on a special offer of £90. including delivery. I believe you can fit the extra sensors at around £30 each?.

And yes many Twin Wheel set-ups do have LH nuts. Most P40 based R-V`s for starters!!

Pete

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I have tyrepal & was very happy with it until last month, when 1by1 5 of the 6 sensors packed up. Upon opening them to presumably change the batteries, I found they had all corroded! I sent a photo to tyrepal and asked if this was normal? and received a curt reply saying no and that it could have been caused by defective batteries or improperly fitted caps. I replied asking that as the batteries were fitted by them & that I had never previously opened the sensors, what did they propose? To date I've had no reply. So I'm afraid I would treat tyrepal with caution.

OP
OP
robert groves

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Thanks Richard.. for the 'heads up with Tyrepal....Customer service and aftersales care are paramount in my book

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have had two tires that just exploded without any warning on two separate vehicles. One was on my Defender coming back from Morocco. The tire just went bang and completely disintegrated. I pulled over to the side of the road running on the rims. The second was on my car, again no warning what so ever. Luckily no serious damage was done. I don't think tire monitors would have made any difference.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back