wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ok, I'm a bit of a luddite but why would you not have a torque convertor proper auto box if you have the choice over a 'tiptronic' type...especially in a MH where wear on the clutch plate is significant due to the wheight of the vehicle compared to a car...and given that modern auto boxes come with nearly as many gears these days and lock up top for cruising (my Isuzu truck cruises very nicely in lock up at an indicated *0mph @ 2500rpm smack bang in the torque (indicated *0 is about 73 mph according to satnav))

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
More cars are being produced
with asm(auto shifted manual)
as they are more fuel efficient(read greener)

I did try a corsa easytronic
before we bought a pug 206 auto
wasn't much in it probably would of had the corsa
if it had of been a little wider

we now have an auto scenic was looking for a zafira asm
scenic felt an all round better car

but I do fancy a comfortmatic/asm box on the next m/home

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I have an auto car and have just sold my auto motorhome. The car is a true auto and the motorhome was an ASM. While it is true the true automatic is smoother there is a heavy fuel penalty whereas the ASM on my Transit (which you can use in tiptronic or auto form)worked efficiently and nearly as smoothly as the true auto but with better fuel consumption than the equivalent manual gearbox.

In essence its swings and roundabouts and I've just bought a Fiat with Comfortmatic ASM gearbox which I'm due to collect shortly. A true automatic motorhome is now only available in Mercedes form but there is a huge price penalty so its an ASM every time for most of us even though the Merc might be marginally better in terms of smoothness of gearchange.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Heavy trucks and racing cars avoid torque converters at the moment, kinda says it all.

The way full autos are coming on nowadays the time might not be too far off though when the auto will come of age in the real world.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`ve had two Yaris with this auto clutch and the second one was the semi auto both cars c**p, the second one the actuator in the gearbox packed up 3 months out of warranty
and the car lost all drive.:Angry::Angry::Angry: I part exed it for an Avensis auto, fabulous motor, SWMBO loves it:thumb: :thumb::thumb:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Heavy trucks and racing cars avoid torque converters at the moment, kinda says it all.

The way full autos are coming on nowadays the time might not be too far off though when the auto will come of age in the real world.

All RV's are autos- so first comment not quite correct.( I know they're not trucks, but they are BIG!Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back