Tips on taking my wheelchair bound mum with us. (1 Viewer)

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
This coming Thursday we are hoping to get our MH back from the dealer with all our problems from the Spain holiday fixed and have decided to take my 93 year old mum for couple of nights to Robin Hoods Bay. She has always wanted to travel and stay in a MH so we thought its the least we can do. The problem is that she cannot do anything for herself and cannot walk more than a couple of steps. We are going to take her commode for the night-time as she will sleep at the front (Us at the back where the toilet is). Does anybody have experience with wheelchair bound people and could you give use a few tips that may help. ( Please don't say to transport her on the bike rack as i had already thought of that and packed an extra coat, hat and goggles for her ! )

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Enjoy, it will be difficult but enjoyable, hopefully. I think the most difficult will be getting her in and out of the van hab door. Once she is inside it will be easier. I would take plenty of visions for her to lean on or that you can box her in with to make her comfy.
Best of luck

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If the problem was long term a number of portable hydraulic lifts are available to assist disabled people to get into caravans and motorhomes but short term maybe a cheap set of car ramps from Halfords or Amazon and help from others could overcome the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Does this give you any ideas.

1567971070995.png

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Enjoy, it will be difficult but enjoyable, hopefully. I think the most difficult will be getting her in and out of the van hab door. Once she is inside it will be easier. I would take plenty of visions for her to lean on or that you can box her in with to make her comfy.
Best of luck
Was supposed to say cushions:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If she can walk a couple of steps, she should be ok inside. Can she do steps ?
If it’s only for a couple of nights I’m sure you will manage and I hope you all have a good time.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I put a funny for the bike rack remark.:)
Daft question, Have you ever been to Robin Hoods bay ? It’s a lovely place, a favourite of ours , but very steep. I wouldn’t like to think I was pushing a wheelchair up it. It’s bad enough a pushchair and I’ve done that a few times , I can tell you.
Can’t help with the other questions . But good on you for wanting to take her with you . I think I’d have chosen a flatter spot personally though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Yes we have been many times before and would not attempt to go to the bottom with her but as we are are stopping at Hooks House Farm we will take her on the bus to Scarborough for fish and chips on the front. It stops right outside the campsite.
She can't do steps but i will carry her down MH step to her chair.
Two on Tour: Thats is a very funny photo and when i showed it to my mum she said that if she ever meets you she " will bloody kill you for giving me idea,s"
I have just been told that all the problems have been sorted apart from one (The oven has no ignition and they have said its bottom of the range and does not come with one, you have to do it manually !) Thats all well and good for the grill but how would I light the gas underneath the oven ? Has it got a burner on the bottom of the oven I wonder ? O well fish and chips it is :)
Thankyou all again for your help and advise whatever it was (Two on Tour ;))

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I put a funny for the bike rack remark.:)
Daft question, Have you ever been to Robin Hoods bay ? It’s a lovely place, a favourite of ours , but very steep. I wouldn’t like to think I was pushing a wheelchair up it. It’s bad enough a pushchair and I’ve done that a few times , I can tell you.
Can’t help with the other questions . But good on you for wanting to take her with you . I think I’d have chosen a flatter spot personally though.
I really do have to agree... You won't push a wheelchair back up, it's about a 1 in 3 gradient or steeper.
In my youth we used to visit a pub at the bottom on motor bikes.... A hell of a job keeping the front wheel on the ground climbing the hill back out.
There is a carpark of sorts very near the bottom but only suitable for cars due to the very narrow road and 90° entry... If its still there.
You'll also find it very difficult to turn around at the bottom.
I haven't been for decades but access may even be restricted to residents only now.
There's always Staithes further up the coast, much more accessible.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just to say that I hope all goes well for you. I changed my van to this one hoping I could take mum away with me but it was never to be.

If you take her to meets and she can sit comfortBly outside lots of people will stop to have a chat with her. :)

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Most ovens have the burners inside at the bottom. If you don't have a piezo igniter built in then buy one of the long reach gas lighters that are refillable. You won't have any hairs left on your hand BTW.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Yes we have been many times before and would not attempt to go to the bottom with her but as we are are stopping at Hooks House Farm we will take her on the bus to Scarborough for fish and chips on the front. It stops right outside the campsite.
She can't do steps but i will carry her down MH step to her chair.
Two on Tour: Thats is a very funny photo and when i showed it to my mum she said that if she ever meets you she " will bloody kill you for giving me idea,s"
I have just been told that all the problems have been sorted apart from one (The oven has no ignition and they have said its bottom of the range and does not come with one, you have to do it manually !) Thats all well and good for the grill but how would I light the gas underneath the oven ? Has it got a burner on the bottom of the oven I wonder ? O well fish and chips it is :)
Thankyou all again for your help and advise whatever it was (Two on Tour ;))

Please be very careful with carrying your mum down or up steps. Motorhome steps aren’t the easiest. Mind your back and minimise risk of slipping should it be wet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
We have just returned back from a couple of nights away with my mum. On arriving at Hooks House Farm we were told my mum would not be charged as anybody that can go camping at 93 should go for free so that was a nice start. We struggled at times with her as the wheelchair did not push easily over the gravel and grass but on the whole it went ok but most importantly my mum loved it. We visited Scarborough and Whitby on the bus and all was well. It is not something i would want to do often as its very time consuming and not much fun for my wife but maybe a couple of times a year won't be too bad. We bought my mum a portable folding commode which proved very useful. She loved being snug in the MH when the wind was howling outside and said she looked forward to coming again.
7U5MtMh1RAS1vHAX3d5+Xg.jpg
uFyInb%DSQyLEKPYNYYOEA.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Sounds like you had a really good time. What a happy experience for your mum. A nice memory of motorhoming with the ones she loves.
Well done :love: (y)

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I’m so glad you and your mum had a great time away !
She does look snug in the bed!
She will gave lovely memories of an enjoyable trip with you both.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back