Tips On France Trip During August (1 Viewer)

Gorsecover59

Free Member
Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
Greetings Sayers of Sooths,
We have arranged to take our next trip for 3 weeks during the annual French holiday period (yes I know,silly eh?). Unfortunately we had no choice and having never visited during this time, I was hoping for a few tips/pointers other than the "I`ts going to be very busy" type posts.
We are not ones to generally book ahead and was wondering if this would be a disaster in August?
We use a mixture of campsites and aires depending whats available.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
Martin

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It depends on where you are going; the coastal areas will probably be busy so arrive at aires / municipal campsites earlier than non-coastal areas (around lunch time). We haven't had issues when travelling in August but don't tend to get too stressed if we can't get into our first choice of site. The only problems that I have had were near the Pont Du Gard where there are many more tourists than campsites.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Try not to travel on holiday routes at weekends (starting on Friday afternoons). Last year we were travelling from France into Italy via Briançon over the last weekend in August and the traffic coming back into France was almost continuous (not too bad going into Italy though). We had arrived in France on 19th August and saw relatively little traffic before the Alps passes, but we were not near the coast. We had no trouble finding aires during our ten days in France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We holiday every year July/August and as siad coast busy inland easier, but you will always find something. roads can be very busy and why I used to do long jaunts at night....

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
You are going at a great time, there are loads of festivals, carnivals, village fetes going on, as above I would recommend staying away from the coast, and make sure you get get to the aires early. 2 years ago we managed to get into a campsite on Lake Geneva on arrival, and we also used the Municipal campsites which can be found here.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I hope you have aircon in the motorhome otherwise you may well melt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Agree with all the above, we always go in August and have always found a campsite. You may have to avoid coastal areas but if you arrive just before 12 you can usually get in somewhere! Enjoy!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back