Tips for Gluing Solar Panels? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Hi all

I've just purchased 2 x 200W solar panels for our Burstner 748. I plan on fitting these myself gluing them to the roof using Sikaflex 221.

These panels are quite large and heavy, so -

Couple of questions:

1. Can anyone recommend good support brackets for corners and sides suitable for gluing?

2. Being heavy any glue between the bracket and roof would be squeezed out. What is considered to be an adequate thickness of glue between the brackets and the roof surface? Would inserting someting like matchsticks between the brackets and the roof provide the correct thickness of Sikaflex to remain and cure?

Any tips appreciated.

John

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi all

I've just purchased 2 x 200W solar panels for our Burstner 748. I plan on fitting these myself gluing them to the roof using Sikaflex 221.

These panels are quite large and heavy, so -

Couple of questions:

1. Can anyone recommend good support brackets for corners and sides suitable for gluing?

2. Being heavy any glue between the bracket and roof would be squeezed out. What is considered to be an adequate thickness of glue between the brackets and the roof surface? Would inserting someting like matchsticks between the brackets and the roof provide the correct thickness of Sikaflex to remain and cure?

Any tips appreciated.

John

There was an excellent article posted on here a couple of months back by Techno 100, he described the fitting with photographed steps as to how he did it, see if you can do a search for the article.

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks Tony.

I do recall reading an excellent article, maybe the one you refer too.

I should add, I did search before posting and read quite a few of the results ::bigsmile: I decided to post my specific question.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have used Sikaflex on all four of my panels but I have also used a nut and bolt through each bracket too... this is NOT usual practice... but the one thing I do know is that the surfaces must be cleaned correctly before using the Sikaflex...

I just used aluminium angle pieces rather than proper brackets from dealers at £50 ish a go...

Others will know much more...

JJ

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I bought a length of aluminium angle. I cut it into lengths that matched the width of the panel (shortest side) I predrilled the ally brackets then used self tappers to the panel and to the roof of the van.

I used sikaflex 512. Squirted a good 10mm deep splodge. I then used self tappers through the angle to pull it within 3mm of the roof.

The panels are aligned so the mounting brackets act as wind breaks to stop the wind getting under the panels when driving.

This has held fine and no leaks.

PS: JJ posted between me opening the thread and me posting sorry. We both use a similar technique. I didn't clean my roof first but I did sand the spots where the panels were to be glued to rough up the surface.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back