Tip to remind you before driving off (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As several have replied before -

Walk-round check - up, down and sideways.

This is what we did with aircraft - before we flew you lot on holiday.

And there were more items to check than on a MH.

Happy MHoming

Geoff

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
And you can't be done for speeding either!
But back to the OP, I would need to add the following to the list.

Wine
Wife
Dog

The order of course does not reflect the relative importance. :)
As I posted one before, we once drove off with the dog's lead hooked onto the towball. We thought everyone was just being friendly, waving and shouting at us! ( The dog was fine- just a little out of breath!)

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Wow, what a load of different replies, all may I say, brilliant.
Before moving, her indoors and who must be obeyed at all times:rolleyes: does the indoor thingies:whistle:, while I do the out door things, first make sure the waste has been sorted out, check van has not sunk into the grass, remove all hoses and other grey wast anomalies, remove ariel (if erected) from the bike rack, unhook the electric, start the van up, remove from ramps if on ramps, then go:winky:. Get rattling noise or what ever, brief inspection from her indoors while me driving, she discovers a roof vent not closed:fubar: (her job), and discussion ensues:lipssealed: which ends up with finding a lay-by, where I explain she can do the outside details and I can do the inside details:madder:, oh yes she can also drive the rest of the way home:wasntme: - - - Oh I forgot to mention, she does not like driving any vehicle wider that a car or the cars length, also it has to be an automatic - - - oops. A peaceful journey home:giggler:

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I came up with this idea after driving off forwards forgetting I was on the ramps.
My van is a Citroen Relay I think it will also work with Fiat and Peugeot vans
There is a pen holder on the left of the dash which just lifts out, I have made 3 dymo tape
Labels :- Ramps Electric Lead Wheelclamp and stuck them on the back of the pen holder,
When it is in place the labels cannot be seen, when I park up I just lift it out and place it over
the gear lever with the label facing outwards reminding me to check them before I can put the
Van in gear, see attached photo.

My butler does all the mundane stuff before he puts me behind the wheel! :D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Actually, I had to take the MH off the drive yesterday as the builders arrived with a mini-digger and I didn't want them anywhere near it with that and I very, very nearly drove off with the electric hook-up still connected. Luckily I remembered just in time.

There are a few alarms that go off when I start up, the jacks down start to retract so alarm sounds, the steps auto retract, another alarm sounds, the door open alarm then also kicks in until my wing-woman shuts it up, another alarm (as the door is open but the steps retracted) but not a bloody whisper that the power cord is about to be ripped out!

Back in the day when I was in crash rescue at Heathrow, the power drop-lead (for engine/ gearbox oil heaters and battery charger) would auto eject as we started the engine to prevent such a mishap (which I witnessed a few times before they were fitted).

Surely it can't be that hard for a warning to sound that the MH still has 240v connected when the engine is started, can it? Does this exist on anyone's MH?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I believe that ours does. We weren't about to drive away but it was plugged in at home and we started the engine - an alarm sounded.

GRUMPY OLD GIT

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Started in1974 with a converted London ambulance
Leaving a site in France last year and l was just finishing topping the water tank.SWIMBO says l'my just popping to the loo l'll meet you by the entrance,ok says l thinking water/lock cap etc. Got half a mile down the road before the silence hit me! No instructions ! No SWIMBO !! Quick U turn but l was too late she was there waiting.Needless to say l was not flavour of the day.

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
[QUOTE="OurMoreloLife, post:

Surely it can't be that hard for a warning to sound that the MH still has 240v connected when the engine is started, can it? Does this exist on anyone's MH?[/QUOTE]
Does on my autotrail comanche

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
[QUOTE="OurMoreloLife, post:

Surely it can't be that hard for a warning to sound that the MH still has 240v connected when the engine is started, can it? Does this exist on anyone's MH?
Does on my autotrail comanche[/QUOTE]
I'm sure our Autotrail Navajo does as well, it says it does but I keep forgetting to check.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I really like that - "Siri, is the MH ready to go"

There is an app called IFTT - meaning "If This Then That" - basically a logic operator for your phone/ PC etc. See it here

So an example could be "If the power to the MH is connected then sound iPhone siren sound (or other indication) on your iPhone.
Now that's all good but there needs to be an interface with the MH to supply status of a sensor on MH. Now its over to the hardware boys!

Actually that reminds me, I sponsored a Dutch based Internet of Things (IoT) hardware interface (Pycom - LoRa) project on Kickstarter last year and haven't yet used it for a project; this USB sized interface might just do the job; wirelessly of course! LoRa is a radio network used by cell phone towers using a discrete frequency to send messages to each other so they can hand-off an active call to the next tower as the subscriber is moving and we can now access that system.

Googled it and got this:
LoRaWAN is a protocol specification built on top of the LoRa technology developed by the LoRa Alliance. It uses unlicensed radio spectrum in the Industrial, Scientific and Medical (ISM) bands to enable low power, wide area communication between remote sensors and gateways connected to the network.

Or any other indication / status we want like, for example,

Is the reservoir at Kentmere at high level Tango? If yes, open sluice gate X-ray at the north end by Y centimetres until level lowered to Z centimetres.

or, possibly

"is the KitKat stock in vending machine 123 located in the students cafe in the University of Nowhere at low level? This can be queried daily by a server automatically (so long as the vending machine is connected to the Internet - which some already are (using a mobile phone sim card interface) and all of them soon will be) and if the response if "yes" then new stock of X number is ordered from a supplier for delivery to the address based on a pre-set low stock level. Bingo!

what-network_diagram.png

My Kickstarter kit from Pycom below and more about LoPy Broken Link Removed

IMG_6727.jpg

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017

Ah, but that in-built one has a tendency to let you down when you most need it, it degrades over time and occasionally, when affected by other factors (such as age of the unit), distractions from external influences, a lack of energy (food) or an excess of conflicting priorities; it simply doesn't work at all (like mine) :)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Usually walk up and down like a air hostess. OH checks outside. Our step alarm goes off if still out.
A couple of weeks ago had to flag down a motorhome leaving a site dragging leccy cable.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Ah, but that in-built one has a tendency to let you down when you most need it, it degrades over time and occasionally, when affected by other factors (such as age of the unit), distractions from external influences, a lack of energy (food) or an excess of conflicting priorities; it simply doesn't work at all (like mine) :)
Very true but as that "app" deteriorates it's ability to use other apps diminishes greatly and then we're in real trouble.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back