Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
One thing I notice in seemingly every motorhome is a tiny kitchen. I struggle in our Autotrail, yet many are even smaller with far less or even NO kitchen workspace. How do folks manage with their kitchens?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Tidy as you go , as my gran used to say. Something that has to be done in the motorhome , much more than the house kitchen.
The only thing i have struggled with is dishing up a big meal.
5 large dinner plates . 6 at times.
The 4 rings usually have things on them which im dishing up , so i cant use the glass top to the hob to put the plates on. So the work surface to the side of the hob , and the otherside where the sink is have to be used.
Then i dish up, from the hob right left right left:roflmto:
If its just something from the oven Im ok cos i can use the glass covered hob and both sides of the work surface, loads of room.
Better still , get Ralph to cook outside on the Cadac . Plenty space then:winky:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We tend to cook outside mainly. I have a 2 ring electric hob and a hot plate thingy along with a ramoska.

If you are on hook up , why use your own gas?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've only used hook-up twice since we got out current van. In both cases simply because the camp site we needed to use included hook-up in its prices.

We have gas only cooking (and heating) and mainly use sites (e.g. THSs) where there simply is no hook-up. If hook-up were optional I think we would do without except in cold weather (where we might wish to power a fan heater) as the cost of the small amount of gas we use for cooking is rather less than a typical daily EHU charge.

To return to the main point, though. Our kitchen is L shaped with the hob at one end, sink at the other and worktop in the middle (corner). We have a cover for the sink which can be put in place when dishing up so plenty of room.

gawatt

Free Member
Mar 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
In the first!
A huge space saver (for those of us with older vans without sink covers) is a wooden chopping board that can cover the sink if you need a little extra space.

Tidy as you go is the mantra though. :Smile:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
We are banished to rear lounge in our apache 700 se,
allowing her whos job it is, full use of the kitchen and dining table
to undertake all her work.
Agree with Ralph and Bev, tidying as you go is a big help, as
this is the wifes normal way of doing things at home it works
well in the van.
Regards
Steve:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
One thing I notice in seemingly every motorhome is a tiny kitchen. I struggle in our Autotrail, yet many are even smaller with far less or even NO kitchen workspace. How do folks manage with their kitchens?

Yep......but many cook and eat outside::bigsmile:Mmmmmm

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Tidy as you go , as my gran used to say.......::bigsmile: Something that has to be done in the motorhome , much more than the house kitchen.
The only thing i have struggled with is dishing up a big meal.
5 large dinner plates . 6 at times.
The 4 rings usually have things on them which im dishing up , so i cant use the glass top to the hob to put the plates on. So the work surface to the side of the hob , and the otherside where the sink is have to be used.
Then i dish up, from the hob right left right left:roflmto:
If its just something from the oven Im ok cos i can use the glass covered hob and both sides of the work surface, loads of room.
Better still , get Ralph to cook outside on the Cadac . Plenty space then:winky:

Tidy as you go , as my gran used to say.......Side away::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We only camp in the sunshine so always bbq or cook on two burner gas cooker outside.. Only got a small van convertion but kitchen is hugh though and is ok whilst travelling.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I will have to ask Lorraine as i didnt know MH,s came with kitchens:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We where actually looking at some new mh over the weekend and where surprised by the amount that dont even have ovens which is fine in warmer weather but dont really see the point in buy a fully insulated van for all year year use in this country and you cant cook in it.

Gerry

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Just a comment that everything in a motorhome is a compromise dictated by the size of the van. So a bigger kitchen means smaller lounge or sleeping areas etc.
We don't cook ambitious things in the van! But its the washing up thats a bigger issue. If on a site we use their facilities, otherwise its just being tidy as you go along.

Re hook up, we only use hook up if its included in the price as in UK or ACSI or camping cheque deals. Other wise I refuse to pay up to 5 euros a night for elec that in some countries is only 3 or 4 amps and will not power anything useful anyway. My gas is cheaper, even for heating.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Cooked outside.......Mmmmmm lovely...now where did I put my knife and fork...

P5100087.JPG

P5100089.JPG

Such a big kitchen outside and safer....no smells....no smoke or grease...

Mel

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I will have to ask Lorraine as i didnt know MH,s came with kitchens:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We where actually looking at some new mh over the weekend and where [HI]surprised by the amount that dont even have ovens[/HI] which is fine in warmer weather but dont really see the point in buy a fully insulated van for all year year use in this country and you cant cook in it.

Gerry
When we bought our Autoquest (2 years old at the time) the oven had never been used - paper stickers still on it. When it got bent the oven had still never been used as we bought a double skillet which does everything we need. Not sure if the current van's oven has ever been used but we haven't used it :Smile:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We mostly cook in our kitchen tent - 2 ring camping gaz cooker, microwave, toaster, electric pan, slow cooker and Weber BBQ. No mess and no smells in the van! :Smile:Have had a couple of 2 ring electric hobs but as they spend so much time outside I find they either corrode quickly or just stop working efficiently. We tend to buy the cheapest electric items we can find as being in the tent most of the year they have a shorter life.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
When we bought our Autoquest (2 years old at the time) the oven had never been used - paper stickers still on it. When it got bent the oven had still never been used as we bought a double skillet which does everything we need. Not sure if the current van's oven has ever been used but we haven't used it :Smile:

GjH...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..FB pies ....Hello:Doh:......OVEN....:Doh: ....Crisp on top.....OVEN:Doh::Doh:.allows the steam to escape.....:winky::winky:...skillet even Double skillet.....the steam from that lush flaky puff pastry that surrounds that BEST PRIME FILLET STEAK inside the FB pie can not escape...recipe for disaster = SOGGY TOP........and....BOTTOM.........:Doh::winky::winky:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
GjH...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..FB pies ....Hello:Doh:......OVEN....:Doh: ....Crisp on top.....OVEN:Doh::Doh:.allows the steam to escape.....:winky::winky:...skillet even Double skillet.....the steam from that lush flaky puff pastry that surrounds that BEST PRIME FILLET STEAK inside the FB pie can not escape...recipe for disaster = SOGGY TOP........and....BOTTOM.........:Doh::winky::winky:

FB pies are a luxury to be eaten only at home to console me for not being away in the van :roflmto: I know I have to forego the succulent prime steak and the mouthwatering pastry whilst we are away but it does give me something to look forward to between trips :roflmto:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
FB pies are a luxury to be eaten only at home to console me for not being away in the van :roflmto: I know I have to forego the succulent prime steak and the mouthwatering pastry whilst we are away but it does give me something to look forward to between trips :roflmto:

:thumb::thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I've got a big one........look.......

Here's my Boat
Link Removed

.........and here's my camper
.....................Link Removed

This is my kitchen on both.......
........................................Link Removed quite large,

...and it produces 1st class ........Link Removed
.......Griff.......:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!