Tin Mines in Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
On Friday night we loaded the camper up with our cameras and spent the night down at Praa Sands. The idea was to get up early the next day and get some moody shots of tin mines in the area whilst it was really overcast. Well we didn't get up to early and it wasn't overcast at all. The weather was beautiful.

So no moody shots but an enjoyable day and here are a couple of pics.

IMG_0340.jpg

Botallack Mine
IMG_0332.jpg

And Again
Broken Link Removed
Also part of the Botallack Mines
IMG_0366.jpg

Wheal Coates, St Agnes.
IMG_0411.jpg

And another from Wheal Coates.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Great photos! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If you do the "SW Coastal Path" from St. Just to the Lizard, wonderful scenery, and a lot of Mining Heritage stuff, A good walk if you're fit.

Great Pics by the way:notworthy2:

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Great pics but hells teeth they are kind of scarey places. God knows what it must have been like to work in them above ground or below.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
If you do the "SW Coastal Path" from St. Just to the Lizard, wonderful scenery, and a lot of Mining Heritage stuff, A good walk if you're fit.

Great Pics by the way:notworthy2:

ragitira, I've just looked it up, that's some walk! Have you done it?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Not since about 5 years ago, even then it took best part of the day. One of my favourite spots here in Cornwall is the Lizard area. Just the walk from the Lizard to Penzance, or the other way St Just/Cape Cornwall to Lands end is worthwhile

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Great shots (y)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Great pics but hells teeth they are kind of scarey places. God knows what it must have been like to work in them above ground or below.

I was chatting to a local at Botallack yesterday who told me the mines in the top pictures reach out about a mile and a half under the sea. He told me that in bad weather you could hear the rocks moving on the sea bed above you. Very scary :cautious:

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Love the photos Wissel, in fact love Cornwall generally. Spent so many family holidays in north Cornwall. One year I stayed in what used to be the Lizard coastguard's cottage and went to a play at the intriguing Minack theatre, torn between watching the play and the sea.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
That brings back memories of holidays past for me. Going back over 50 years. For many years we had summer holidays in Gunnislake on the border of Devon and Cornwall.
We stayed in a little row of miners cottages. No loo just earth closets, in a row to match the cottages, about 50 yards away from the cottages.
Used to take two days to get there from Essex. Stopped at a hotel in Winchester for the night en route. And would have a brew at times on the way stopped in a lay-by and using a primus stove.
The good old days.:)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
a play at the intriguing Minack theatre, torn between watching the play and the sea.

Another great place to go, but take a cushion those stone seats are cold even in summer

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The mines ran under the sea in many places as the coal mines at Whitehaven did. Made for a lot of water - and hence Trevithick (a Cornishman) and his high pressure steam engines, although the first steam pumps in the mines were designed by men from the foreign shores of Devon - Savery and the better known Newcomen. http://www.engineering-timelines.com/who/Trevithick_R/trevithickRichard3.asp

Great pictures!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Hi there me again! Think I should explain, just in case you thought I was (emphesis on WAS) some kind of super hero. I walked to Lands End, took the Bus to Penzance/ Porthleven, then started again. As I was then 70, I was quite pleased with meself, and it did take most of the day, and yes I was sore for a while after

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Really great photos Wissel, please can you tell me where do you park? Is there a spot for a 7m van? And have you a sat nav post code address? ( or nearest to) As I would love to get some shots as well,
Many thanks :).

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Hi there me again! Think I should explain, just in case you thought I was (emphesis on WAS) some kind of super hero. I walked to Lands End, took the Bus to Penzance/ Porthleven, then started again. As I was then 70, I was quite pleased with meself, and it did take most of the day, and yes I was sore for a while after

Now there was me being very impressed because St Just to the Lizard is about 65kms and you did it in a day! Best to be honest though just in case I meet you and your underpants aren't on top of your tights.. :whistle: :whistle: :imoutahere:

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Really great photos Wissel, please can you tell me where do you park? Is there a spot for a 7m van? And have you a sat nav post code address? ( or nearest to) As I would love to get some shots as well,
Many thanks :).

For Botallack you can easily park a 7m motorhome. Last New Year we stayed with the Missus's parents and their monolith of a van (Gaz43 on here).

If you type these coordinates in Google maps you can see the car park (on Earth view):
50.140658, -5.689294
It's the patch just past the building and a lovely area to visit.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Now there was me being very impressed because St Just to the Lizard is about 65kms and you did it in a day! Best to be honest though just in case I meet you and your underpants aren't on top of your tights.. :whistle: :whistle: :imoutahere:

;););););););)

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
For Botallack you can easily park a 7m motorhome. Last New Year we stayed with the Missus's parents and their monolith of a van (Gaz43 on here).

If you type these coordinates in Google maps you can see the car park (on Earth view):
50.140658, -5.689294
It's the patch just past the building and a lovely area to visit.

Many thanks Wissel for the information, much appreciated

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back