Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Is there any way of telling if the timing belt on my Ducato MH has recently been replaced

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Unless you have paperwork to support a change of belt it bought it from new there’s no way of knowing.

Personally I’d get it changed if in doubt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Okay put it this way, if you bought a motorhome from a dealer and up until the time of collection there was no mention of any remedial work required apart from a service and an MOT would you accept that the cam belt was changed as a matter of course. The paperwork does indeed state the belt having been changed but don't you think they would have given me the option to have the water pump replaced which normally is something that goes hand in glove. I should not be doubting there word as they are a reputable dealer but I was hoping there might be some external signs that would confirm the work being done

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Okay put it this way, if you bought a motorhome from a dealer and up until the time of collection there was no mention of any remedial work required apart from a service and an MOT would you accept that the cam belt was changed as a matter of course. The paperwork does indeed state the belt having been changed but don't you think they would have given me the option to have the water pump replaced which normally is something that goes hand in glove. I should not be doubting there word as they are a reputable dealer but I was hoping there might be some external signs that would confirm the work being done
I wouldn't be happy as I would have wanted the lot changed, idlers, tensioner ,complete kit. Not just a belt. & no I wouldn't even believe it had been changed unless I walked in whilst they were actually doing it.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I wouldn't be happy as I would have wanted the lot changed, idlers, tensioner ,complete kit. Not just a belt. & no I wouldn't even believe it had been changed unless I walked in whilst they were actually doing it.
Couldn't agree more.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

It would appear we were a little lite on info with the op ??

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Sometimes the garage/mechanic stick a sticker on the top of the engine or front crossbar to show when it was done. (I saw one once!)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
There are no visible signs unless you remove and examine it which is pointless as the labour cost of replacement with a new one plus the idlers/tensioner etc. exceeds the parts cost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back