Time to move on (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
The older I get the itchier my feet get.

I've only recently returned from overwintering down in Cape Town and tomorrow I'm off again back to my regular early summer bimble around France.
Everything planned in minute detail, well as far as Dunkerque, then it's the usual question at that first roundabout on the A16, left, right or straight across. :)

I learnt years ago, that the very best way to start a long drive from a channel port is to catch a Saturday evening ferry/train, pitch up for the night close by (I use the Dunkerque Ticket Office car park) and then an early start on Sunday morning - no ferry to catch and virtually no trucks on the road. You can get a long way on Day 1 like that.
OK, so the ferryport car park is not the prettiest place but it's close, secure and has WC facilities.

I'l be revisiting some of my favourite locations and hopefully stumbling across some new and unexplored places by defying my sat nav and taking that interesting little turn-off signed to ???????. It's worked well so many times in the past with only the occasional need to do a 25 point turn 500 metres further on.
I drive a small PVC and mostly use aires with the occasional ACSI stop although in recent years I find, travelling solo, it's often cheaper to pay the full tarrif than the ACSI discount.
I've also stumbled across a goodly number of traditional Municipals with traditional tarrifs - no bells and whistles but loads of charm and long grass where the reception opens at 7 PM - sometimes.
I was in a Municipal site at ???? last year when the usual pizza van pulled in - this one had a pukka wood-fired pizza oven in the back of a Transit panel van :) A lovely Calzone - What EU H&SE?
I'm not a techie so don't have any fancy communication gizmos, nor want them, so I'll catch up with you guys and gals in July. I'm sure there will be a few "Post Referendum" threads running by then :) Are we in, are we out, was it rigged, who's to lose their head/job, will Angela be moving into Buck House?
Have fun.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Enjoy your travels, not jealous, not one bit.

:censored:

One day I won't be a wage slave and ill be on the next pitch to you (y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
They have one of those wood fired pizza oven vans in the square at Gravelines on a Friday night. Great pizzas!

Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Enjoy your bimble around France, you never know we might bump into each other , as we are over on 6th june somewhere south/east of Nantes - La Rochelle - Loire area

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Happy bimbleing and get lost if you want to! enjoy your trip

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just booked up.. going over on the same crossing on June 26.. 20.00 hrs..

£135 return.. for 7mt van, 2 adults, 1 child, one pet.. that's quite a saving over the tunnel price..

may stop at Gravlines aire..

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The older I get the itchier my feet get.

I've only recently returned from overwintering down in Cape Town and tomorrow I'm off again back to my regular early summer bimble around France.
Everything planned in minute detail, well as far as Dunkerque, then it's the usual question at that first roundabout on the A16, left, right or straight across. :)

I learnt years ago, that the very best way to start a long drive from a channel port is to catch a Saturday evening ferry/train, pitch up for the night close by (I use the Dunkerque Ticket Office car park) and then an early start on Sunday morning - no ferry to catch and virtually no trucks on the road. You can get a long way on Day 1 like that.
OK, so the ferryport car park is not the prettiest place but it's close, secure and has WC facilities.

I'l be revisiting some of my favourite locations and hopefully stumbling across some new and unexplored places by defying my sat nav and taking that interesting little turn-off signed to ???????. It's worked well so many times in the past with only the occasional need to do a 25 point turn 500 metres further on.
I drive a small PVC and mostly use aires with the occasional ACSI stop although in recent years I find, travelling solo, it's often cheaper to pay the full tarrif than the ACSI discount.
I've also stumbled across a goodly number of traditional Municipals with traditional tarrifs - no bells and whistles but loads of charm and long grass where the reception opens at 7 PM - sometimes.
I was in a Municipal site at ???? last year when the usual pizza van pulled in - this one had a pukka wood-fired pizza oven in the back of a Transit panel van :) A lovely Calzone - What EU H&SE?
I'm not a techie so don't have any fancy communication gizmos, nor want them, so I'll catch up with you guys and gals in July. I'm sure there will be a few "Post Referendum" threads running by then :) Are we in, are we out, was it rigged, who's to lose their head/job, will Angela be moving into Buck House?
Have fun.
Never mind Angela,don't think she's in with a chance with that fishy woman from north of the border who has her eyes on Balmoral..shes the danger to Britains harmony..IMHO ..Roy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just booked up.. going over on the same crossing on June 26.. 20.00 hrs..

£135 return.. for 7mt van, 2 adults, 1 child, one pet.. that's quite a saving over the tunnel price..

may stop at Gravlines aire..

In honour of the Judge (RIP Eddie) thanks to his persuasion I am a frequent traveller and share with a funster, it works out at about that price on the tunnel(y) give or take £20 maybe :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In honour of the Judge (RIP Eddie) thanks to his persuasion I am a frequent traveller and share with a funster, it works out at about that price on the tunnel(y) give or take £20 maybe :)

not being frequent travellers it's not really an option yet.. .. maybe when we are will look at that again..

last year it cost £291 ..

Departure
(local time)
Standard Fare | Folkestone to Calais | Thursday 23 July 2015
Check-in closes 11:20 Departure time 11:50Arrival time 13:25 £135
Broken Link Removed
Returning
(local time)
Standard Fare | Calais to Folkestone | Thursday 13 August 2015
Check-in closes 11:20Departure time 11:50 Arrival time 11:25 £88
Broken Link Removed
Vehicle details
Campervan
Registration number: XXXXXXXXX
Broken Link Removed
Pets Outward journey2 Dogs / Cats / Ferrets £34
Return journey2 Dogs / Cats / Ferrets £34
Travelling with your pet? Check out our online pages on pet travel and DEFRA's information on the Pet Travel Scheme for a smooth journey.
Broken Link Removed
Travel Cost £291

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Fantastic plan, stick to it. See/read you in the summer.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013

Lordy, you've just reminded me to get booking...we hope to travel out Friday 24th June.

Hope you have a lovely bimble, very envious of your freedom(y)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Enjoy,,I am getting excited myself with the prospect of my planned touring starting in Somerset next week and all around England and Wales (sorry to miss out Scotland,but will be there next year) and finally ending up in France for a great meet up at twin lakes,plus many great places to visit that I have never had the opportunity to do before..Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back