Time to mention the tyre monitors again me thinks (1 Viewer)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
With poor oddsocks having his tyre blowout in Spain

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/blow-out-in-spain.89546/page-2#post-1067914

and some Funsters mentioning pressures etc, I thought it time to re-kindle the awareness of the superb Tyre Pressure Alarms available for us all to use :)

I have them fitted to both the motorhome and the car. While the ones on the car flashed once in a while (until I fitted 4 new tyres) the ones on the motorhome never have :)

I got paranoid at one stage as they had never blinked once. After having them fitted for months and months, I checked the pressure and it was spot on :)

Now I don't need to get dirty when I check the tyre pressures ( which of course we all do before setting off ;)) now I simply give the monitors a quick look and I know alls well when it comes to pressures :)

I thought them expensive when I first reviewed them, but they're worth every single penny for the clean hands, quick checking and peace of mind :)

Jim used to sell them too :)

http://www.tyrepressurealarm.com

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Look good but they won't help if you get deflation when driving, I was expecting a siren & huge flashing light on the dash! :unsure:

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Look good but they won't help if you get deflation when driving, I was expecting a siren & huge flashing light on the dash! :unsure:
I don't think anything can prevent it happening, however it may just give someone an indication that their tyre pressures are low and that in itself can prevent all sorts of catastrophes and travel misery, not to mention increase safety :)

Oh and there's no commission either, just want to share the love :h::talking:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When towing my car I use an RVi Brake unit which sits in car footwell and activates brakes from braking inertia.
They also offer wireless pressure monitors for the car which shows on the remote in the RV cab but have hesitated at 250$ a set.
www.rvibrake.com

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
For information on tyre pressures whilst on the move, have a look at the Tyre Pal systems.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I now have tyre pal remote pressure/temperature monitoring on the MH. Interesting to see how much tyre pressures increase as they warm up driving. It shows how important it is not to check your tyre pressures till the tyres have cooled down otherwise you would be miles out. This system has the advantage that it will warn you if you have a loss of pressure while driving, and will also show if a tyre is overheating. Their is a version that will also monitor the toads tyres but that is pretty pricey. (£330 as opposed to £140 for the usual one) The basic one will also monitor the spare if you buy an extra sensor (£30) (Just noticed that it is cheaper to buy two of the ordinary ones so have a separate display for the toad)

I have a set of Jim's which I will probably put on my Disco. Because the MH is in storage, a flashing light could end up not being seen for weeks and the battery would go flat. As a result I was never sure if the absence of a flashing light meant all was well, or if the battery had died, so I ended up checking it manually anyway

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
We also have tyre pal and if I find the temperature rising too much I will increase the tyre pressure to compensate. It is also a serious clue to the wheel being overloaded. Under inflation and/or Overloading are major causes of tyre failure.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
There's something devious going on here fellow Funsters, this about the 4th time PP B has paid obeisance to the Grand Master (hallowed be his name) numero uno, lord Jim:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
Another life member coming up?:rolleyes:
Don't know what you mean :giggler::winky::clap:

By the way, you're looking well again today Jim :makeup::giggler::blusher:

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I had intended to buy some of Jim's flashing valve caps at Peterborough but after a catastrophic rear blow-out in Morocco went for TyrePal from RoadPro and wangled a good extra discount on the low show price because we had our Funster Badges on.(y)
I am really pleased I did now because they monitor temperature and pressure so I will probably get an early warning in the cab if the same happens again. Initial setting up is a bit tricky as all tyres have to be cold and at the same temperature so I just got up at dawn and did it with a portable compressor. It is really interesting to see how quickly temperature and pressure rises and how the sun on one side gives you uneven pressure from side to side. Mine very quickly rise 10psi then stay rock solid stable so the slightest change will indicate a problem which needs checking. Will be very interesting to see the effect in Morocco next year.
I know it is nearly a hundred quid more but having had two rubber valves fail one costing a new tyre at the price of the first tyre place we came to and the major blow-out costing in fact three tyres as two others looked dodgy, at much higher Morocco prices.
Interestingly after the second valve failure a French independent tyre company told me that at the high Motorhome pressures rubber valves should never be fitted in the South of France and he wouldn't fit a new tyre until I had them which he didn't stock. I had to get them from a Motorhome dealer.
I totally recommend TyrePal to anybody who cares to listen after all it is only a fill of diesel at UK prices and what price safety. Perhaps Jim could negotiate an extra special deal for a pre-paid bulk buy.
My only gripe is that they don't wake up till after a few miles of driving. But I will be contacting TyrePal about that. I have no connection with them just very pleased with the purchase.
Steve :happy::happy:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As I understand it, they come on quite quickly when you drive but only transmit every five minutes if the pressures/temperatures are within the normal range you set. I think if there is a fault it will come up much quicker.

The power saving feature on the display, which turns off after a while if there is no movement of the vehicle doesn't work well in a motorhome, with people getting in and out etc, so I always switch off manually when parked.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Actually this thread reminded me to contact them, because at the weekend we took the van out after a couple of months inactivity and the fronts woke up within a few hundred yards, one rear took about ten miles the other rear nearly twenty miles which is too far. What I would like is to be able to wake them up perhaps by waving a magnet or something like that so as to check the pressures before setting off on a trip, which I would usually do as I have a compressor at home with an accurate gauge so no need to rely on suspect garage ones and usually pay for the use. With these caps fitted it is an absolute pain to check pressures manually because I have to remove the lock screw completely as it fouls on the rim which is an extreme fiddle.
I will report back on this thread their answer.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back