Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
This isn't easy for me. For days I have pondered about even bothering, but I have made too many friends on *FUN* to just not sneak off and disappear. Then came the 'but how' thing, and, following more deep thinking, I have come up with this. It's the only way for me to be able to draw a parallel.
Up until thirty odd years ago, the drill was easy. We were on an operational plan called 'Spearhead', which meant being ready to deploy anywhere in the world, at the drop of a hat, or in our case, at the drop of a beret. My kit was always packed, and kept under the bed. If the call came at night, it was a bang on the door, which woke up everyone in our block of married quarter flats. Others being summoned had woken me up in times past, so I knew. Get dressed, fish out my bergan and small pack, a hug and a kiss for Alison, now fully awake, then a sneak into our sleeping kids room, for two more kisses. Then, without looking back, the front door closed, and I was being hoisted onto the back of the Bedford three-tonner, and off to collect weapons. The adrenaline drove away any tiredness, and within an hour, we were all gathered in N02 Hanger at Brize Norton, the buzzing arc lights screaming down from above. Then, with a roar of engines, we lifted off into the dawn sky.
Sometimes it was Northern Ireland, one time Malta, twice Sierra Leone, and others, well, just lets say that even now that stays with me.
And so now, once again, the deployment is nigh. But this time, there wont be kids running down the path, screaming 'Daddy, Daddy....' or my lovely wife throwing her arms around my neck, helping me inside with my kit. There will be no paper 'welcome home' banner over the front door. Nothing.
My kit is packed, I'm ready to deploy. But this time, it will be my body that makes that decision, not the government, nor the MOD. And before the Morphgesic stupifies my thoughts, or the Omeprazole stops me chucking up, nor the Dexamethasone spoils my good looks, or the Liquid Morpine Solutine half dribbles from my mouth, I want to take this opportunity to thank you all on *FUN*, for years of happiness, cheeky good times, stimulating posts, and a comradeship at rallies we have both enjoyed to the full. OK, I could have PMd you who know me, or emailed in the same way, or even have phoned, (not likely, as the cancer has now hit my voice box), but hey, you know me, I like a good story to finish the evening off. :D
I'm not going any further into this, except to say that I have fought like hell to stave the inevitable off. Already I have survived the 21 months maximum they gave me, and even the unheard of two years since diagnosis, but hey, I'm running out of ammunition now, and I was never much good with a bayonet. Time to lie back and rest, I think.
If I can, I will keep posting as long as possible, and I will certainly be reading all your story's and stuff. Ali sends her love to you all guys.

And thanks Jim, I never thought that anyone could, but you took my edge off me. (y) Cheers peeps, keep on trucking.
Dave.

A Little Pair Of Wings.

God…WE WUZ ‘ARD!. Oh so I thought in far off days when I was young.

A group of six or so of us, with upright stance, and voice unsung,

With tailored pants, and putees brown, beret too small, and hair cut fine,

We owned the world, from village pub to hotel bar, our hallowed shrine.

From toiling up the Brecon slopes in filthy kit and foot deep snow,

To standing on a Hercy Bird, at the ramps end, our grit to show.

To all the world.

We were the cream, the very best, the ‘Crap Hats’ scourge, above the rest.

And when our time to fight did come, we gave them shit, no quarter hold,

Our friends our brothers, un-parting cord, the comradeship, forever bold.

For we were second to no man, and had respect for very few.

As animals we lived and fought, for there was nought we couldn’t do.

We stood together at graves end, a comrade lost, the angel sings.

For each man on his uniform, a little pair of wings.

Dave Parkinson 2007

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
evening Dave

for the drink and chat we never got I will miss you

for the banter, wit and interesting posts I will remember you

keep on posting, for now big hug for Ali and massive respect for you Dave

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Greatest respects for you my Dear Sir!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
For once I am lost for words Dave. I remember sitting chatting with you several years ago in a field in Wrenbury. You struck me as a very interesting man and I thought then what an asset you would be to FUN. Am so,so sorry of your illness. Best regards pal it was my pleasure knowing you.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Dave, having had the good fortune to meet you a couple of times, it has been a honour. You are braver than I could ever be.
Have a safe journey.
Dave & Sandra xx

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Bon Voyage mate, just make sure you slide through the pearly gates with your ass on fire shouting "that was one hell of a ride".
I've never read a post of yours that didn't show your intelligence or your superb articulation & I know that we will miss your banter.
Please convey our best wishes to your family & remember all of us in your will, for where there's a will there's a relative.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We'v never met but so wish we had, always look forward to your post, I feel we may have liked a pint together, I get on with folk with Ball's, Grit, dignity & say it how it is. Respect.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's been a huge pleasure both crossing swords with you and learning from you at the same time good Sir - thank you.

..and at the risk of irritating you one more time by sounding French, bon voyage.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Love and respect to you, Dave.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have never met you, but I have enjoyed your posts and I now have tears in my eyes reading this one.
God bless you in your travels

Deleted User
We have never met and we have 'enjoyed' a few skirmishes on here, you come from a world that I have no experience of apart from limited knowledge gleaned from books.

One thing that you do have is my deepest respect, I have a little tear in my eye as I write.

Thanks for the arguments and the education, only by dicussion do we learn.
Hasta Luego

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If there is a further journey to be had enjoy it, nice post.

“Who hasn't wondered, 'What happens after death?' It would be both unreasonable and foolish to live your entire life never considering and being unprepared for an event that we all know is inevitable. The mortality rate on earth is 100 percent." Rick Warren

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Have never met you toots but have enjoyed many of your posts, i cant say anything that has not been said already but we will all be there at some point on the other side and lets hope the other side is a much better place, Take care Toots, you and the family are in my thoughts xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back