Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
We've never met Dave and I suspect I'm not half the man you are. Without exception, all the posts I've read of yours rang true with me to the point where I believe we share very similar mind sets.

Your presence will be sorely missed and I wish you a calm, painless journey.

Dave (Cilfan)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Dave - what a wonderful post - And one that would be impossible for most of us to write, but we aren't you; someone who writes what he feels,
from experience and wisdom.

We only met a couple of times, but I will treasure this photo, its been shown on Fun a few times, but proves what a brave soldier you were - staying at your post, encouraging your subordinates to do the same, when you knew we had spilt wine on Joy @movan 's tartan rug, and she would be mad (or as mad as Joy could ever be) when she found out - you knew what danger we were in, but you didn't care....

015B17C4-FBA2-4655-B809-C7AE0636C70D.jpeg

Keep reading Dave, and try to stay reading for a bit longer, as long as you can, Fun will be the sadder without you xxx

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I am deeply moved, I'm am so bad at expressing myself mainly because I can't but I would like to offer my most sincere thanks for looking after myself and my family at the expense of your own family I never realised it whilst I was young (or even older for that matter) but I owe you personally along with others a great deal of thanks and respect. I DOFF MY CAP TO YOU SIR and I don't do that lightly.

11d1fb7.jpg

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I've had a go at writing something for you Dave!!! I hope you don't mind mate,,, but some of your writings/ poems are brilliant,,,, this is what came to me after reading your post!!

With a chest full of pride
And his boots shining bright,,,,
Tootles will march towards the light,,,

Many battles has he fought,,
Many lessons has he taught,,,
With his family beside him,,,
Who do love and will guide him,,,

Like veterans of old, and new recruits that are bold ,,,
No fear does he show,, when life says let go,,,,

Ian... x

Last edited:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Our thoughts and love to you & Ali.
Respect Dave xxx
Kate Bill & Amanda

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I remember you posting about your illness , ages ago it seems , and all of the sights around the world that you have seen in your life.
Wish i had met you.
Thank you for your service Sir and when the time comes God speed.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
What can I say that has not been said already @Tootles Dave.
You headed the call and did your duty and for that I for one am truly grateful .
I wish you a peaceful journey to your final posting and a privilege to have read your many posts
Respect

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We've never met Toots, but I am truly sorry to read of your last fight. :cry:

As an ex serviceman myself, I hope that your journey is peaceful and pain free, as you approach your final "stand down".

Respect,

Jock.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
As many have said never meet you but have enjoyed your threads and wish you and your family all the best such a brave and honest post take care

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
@Tootles As others have said I have never met you in person Dave but have an idea of the man you are through reading your posts on here. I wish you all the best for your final journey and may it be as painless as possible.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Met you once Dave (memorable! - wish we could have met again), but have thought about you and Ali often. You have fought bravely and entertained us royaly. We will miss you very much. xxx

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Bugger! it seems we will never meet, in this world anyway, thanks for the memories Dave, they are strangely blurred at the moment....

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Tootles what a post to wake up to:cry:.

I know you and Ali have had everything planned and organised for a while and now it's getting time to deploy as you said.

I'm sure when you do you'll see Carmen there waiting for you and the two of you can tear off into the sunset.

I've got happy memories of the times we'd met. Les always had the greatest respect for you, as did I.

Safe travels my friend xxx

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
you'll not be forgotten dave, have fond memories of our last chat, hug and soul baring that early morning at the last malvern western show when you cadged a forbidden cigarette, well it wasn't going to do any harm now was it, and i've kept my promise never to let on..;)
you and ali will always be in my thoughts, give her a hug for me please and ask her if she'll give you a gentle one back from me..

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Love you, big man. Will miss my hugs but you arn't going too far away ... you're one of the ones that will live in my heart.

If Ali needs me... just tell her to call.

Huh .. typical man.. left me in bloody tears.

Xxxxxxxxx

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Blimey Dave , what a post there will be like my self a lot of funsters with a tear in their eyes this morning , never met you mate but wish I had . Respect

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
WOW we have never met Dave but you are quite obviously one hell of a guy,im lost for words.
God speed,
Brian & Jo

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
You are a brave person, a strong man and you have had a full life, I hope your future travels will be as good.
God bless.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Thanks Toots for some great posts, Many a time I found myself chuckling at your sense of humour. We never met,But Great respect to a warrior .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bloody hell dave, never met you, and didn't expect to read your post, what can I say that others havnt, always enjoyed your posts , straight to the point and never wrong, you are a one of a kind and it will be a long time till there will be another, sincerely thinking of you as I know what a terrible thing this is, losing my wife to it and she also was in Macmillan, closest thing to angels you will find this side.
So sorry dave I can't put things into words like yours but all I can say , I really am thinking about you.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Hello Dave - it's true you "Did it your way." I often think about the NHS train you wrote about and maybe a lesson for all of us. We met at the Corfe Castle meet when I asked Griff @Popeye to introduce us. There's not many like you around and you will be missed. Much love to Ali (and keep some for yourself).
Cheers, Pamela and Derek

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back