Time for some new batteries Gel/Agm/Lithium (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I need to replace 2x160ah Gel batteries, the chargers on our van will suit Gel or Agm (switchable) which is pretty straight forward, but I have had a measure up and could get 4x84ah Lithiums in the same space, I have spoken to battery megastore and they say lithium will be fine on Agm setting.
Cost wise 2x160 gels about £800 or 4x 84ah Lithiums about £1,300
Question is is it worth changing to Lithiums as I need to buy some this next week.
image.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
At those prices and If the lithium really are happy on the AGM setting I could be tempted to say "lithium" as you will get more useable power at less overall weight and the cost difference if negligible.

How long have the Gel lasted?

Martin

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well the van is 2 1/2 years old taking into account it was a stock van so maybe 3 years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Watch a load of will prowse on youtube to get a better understanding before purchase.
I think lithium is the way forward for sure.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Talk to Tom Donovan, 01271863066 I would be very wary of a lithium being a drop in replacment for AGM or gel. The danger is they won't get properly charged and shorten their life. Regards Ted.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Talk to Tom Donovan, 01271863066 I would be very wary of a lithium being a drop in replacment for AGM or gel. The danger is they won't get properly charged and shorten their life. Regards Ted.

Incorrect thinking. Life cycle is IMPROVED by not fully charging lithium.

Last edited:

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Try A&N caravans, very informative about batteries.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I thought I’d seen somewhere that the maximum number of lithium batteries that could be combined was three?

It was probably on this forum but may have been elsewhere.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Ian

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
What a load of outdated misinformed bollocks trying to make lead acid look good.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to expand on that and give our membership the benefit of your knowledge and where you expertise comes from, i.e. qualifications, experience etc.,. I for one would welcome it.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you have solar you need to check if the solar regulator has a lithium setting, we had to change ours.
Also, there may be an issue with b2b or relay switching between cab and vehicle batteries.

We've just changed to lithium but I got experts to install them as I really didn't have much of a clue. To do a 'proper' job took a days labour by a very experienced installer so not just a 'drop in'.

Richard.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Before I go shelling out a lot of money, I would determine WHY have two 160amp gels gone after 2-3yrs ...? Unless they have been abused you have something wrong with your charging system and would not be putting in another grands worth of scrap until I found out...?

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well I have two mains chargers both Schaudt set to gel they start charging at 14.1 then drop down to a float of 13.8.
The solar is Lrm1218 set to gel with temp sensor and seems to work well when sunny.
And when the engine is running 13.9 and over 20 amps this morning,
The batteries take the charge but drain on load is quite quick.
I am not sure how else I could check this, according to the instructions everything is set correctly.@Just smiffy

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
If you have solar you need to check if the solar regulator has a lithium setting, we had to change ours.
Also, there may be an issue with b2b or relay switching between cab and vehicle batteries.

We've just changed to lithium but I got experts to install them as I really didn't have much of a clue. To do a 'proper' job took a days labour by a very experienced installer so not just a 'drop in'.

Richard.

Who did you get to do the work Richard we are still interested in getting them fitted .

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Well I have two mains chargers both Schaudt set to gel they start charging at 14.1 then drop down to a float of 13.8.
The solar is Lrm1218 set to gel with temp sensor and seems to work well when sunny.
And when the engine is running 13.9 and over 20 amps this morning,
The batteries take the charge but drain on load is quite quick.
I am not sure how else I could check this, according to the instructions everything is set correctly.@Just smiffy
There are a lot of other funsters out there who know much more than my very little knowledge of electrics.

If your charging and solar are ok and it sounds like it is then it must be the drain, if I had your batteries on my Hymer they would last six months before I needed a charge.....

I have just replaced two 95amp AGM’s after 7yrs and according to averages that’s 5yrs longer.... the two 85amp excide gels I have now I’m expecting at least 10yrs...

I would get an auto electrician in as something is not right and could cost you more in the long run on batteries

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As Garry says 3 years for gels is very short. As it was a stock van I'm wondering if they have been left flat for months at the dealers. Best to test each one with a controlled discharge, maybe one has died and is dragging the other one down.

If going with Lithium 3x 84a/h would give you similar available power to 2x 160a/h gels but with their ability to fast charge two would probably do. Also you would need to invest in a decent B2B like one of the Votronic units.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Two Lithiums would be the usable Ah equivalent of your two lead acid. I'd be very tempted to settle for three. Four, if capacity on LA has been OK prior to them dying, is over-kill.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
i thought i'd have a look at their website....
What a load of outdated misinformed bollocks trying to make lead acid look good.
Why would they - they don't sell batteries of any kind? They originally started their battery section to attempt to prevent the NCC Approved battery scheme from misleading people looking for a decent leisure battery. The previous owner of A & N, now deceased, was extremely critical in print of the NCC scheme.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I think gel or Agm are coming out top here for my needs, as charging has not been sorted out just yet.
As Just smiffy asked no discharge other than what I know off.
I have today spoke to a friend that works in electric vehicles (access’s platforms) and from this conversation there is quite a lot of factors come into play.
As I said the batteries take a charge and hold it till a draw is placed on them then they go down quickly,
I thought 3 years was quite acceptable for life of a battery ?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Just out of interest, what are you draining them with and how low do you drain them.
How often do you notice they are fully charged?
Gels really should have lasted longer than three years IMO. Otherwise you may as well have bought a normal deep cycle battery and pocketed the change.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think gel or Agm are coming out top here for my needs, as charging has not been sorted out just yet.
I have today spoke to a friend that works in electric vehicles (access’s platforms) and from this conversation there is quite a lot of factors come into play.
As I said the batteries take a charge and hold it till a draw is placed on them then they go down quickly,
It could be as Lenny HB said you may have a duff battery, if you can get your batteries checked out all the better but there are lots of threads on this forum that most people will expect 7-10yrs out of their fairly cheep lead acid batteries but when your talking gels and more expensive ones you’ve got to be thinking that they are going to last 10yrs+..

I’ve invested in a victory Bluetooth monitor to keep an eye on my gels..

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

As a comparison our x2 140 AH gels are original fit and now in their 15 year and still going strong. Exide are the make.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
As Garry says 3 years for gels is very short. As it was a stock van I'm wondering if they have been left flat for months at the dealers. Best to test each one with a controlled discharge, maybe one has died and is dragging the other one down.

If going with Lithium 3x 84a/h would give you similar available power to 2x 160a/h gels but with their ability to fast charge two would probably do. Also you would need to invest in a decent B2B like one of the Votronic units.
Although I would tend to agree I would not change one as you say it may have sat with flat batteries.
The van has a B2B built in from my understanding and was told by Audi Lang I could expect to see excess of 40 amps from the alternator when the batteries are low.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Just out of interest, what are you draining them with and how low do you drain them.
How often do you notice they are fully charged?
Gels really should have lasted longer than three years IMO. Otherwise you may as well have bought a normal deep cycle battery and pocketed the change.
Only light use most of the time and on hookup at home ie maintained charge, about 120 nights away with no ehp, my last van was 3 years with lead acid before one failed ( Banner)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back