Time for front suspension upgrade, what would you recommend? (1 Viewer)

Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
We have a Hymer B544, it now rides low at the front and is very uncomfortable over poor roads.

Reading your posts an upgrade would seem the way to go. We have air assist on the rear which improved the ride there. Not sure if I should go for new springs and dampers or air assist on the front. I would value your opinions, on what spec to choose and who to get to fit it.

I have contacted Dave Newell and Essanjay on the basis of strong support on here but again would be keen to have your alternatives.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
New dampers , should be fitted whether you go new springs or air assist .

Reactions: f6c

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As above, sort out the basics first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Our B544 has Goldschitt uprated front springs and from first driving it we could tell a big improvement from our previous standard Fiat sprung motorhome, including sitting level.
I’m sure Dave Newell could sort you out, there are a few alternatives to Goldschmitt and Im sure you wouldn’t regret it. Where we live, SAP in Doncaster would be our choice for VB uprated springs.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Dampers won’t raise the van only new springs will
If the dampers aren't working properly/have lost 'pressure' then fitting new ones would.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
We have a Hymer B544, it now rides low at the front and is very uncomfortable over poor roads.

Reading your posts an upgrade would seem the way to go. We have air assist on the rear which improved the ride there. Not sure if I should go for new springs and dampers or air assist on the front. I would value your opinions, on what spec to choose and who to get to fit it.

I have contacted Dave Newell and Essanjay on the basis of strong support on here but again would be keen to have your alternatives.

Just like Hetties Crew we too had Goldschmitt springs fitted to our new Hymer B544 and they made a huge difference compared to the ride of our old B544. They also raised the front end so we rarely now have to use the levelling chocks.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Ring mick at SAP doncaster. He's very helpful.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I also need mine doing, 2001 B644, and Dave Newell would be my first choice.

As a matter of course he will fit new struts and top mounts as well.

Labour is the big cost so no point in not doing them at the same time..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back