Time for another toilet thread (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Our toilet stinks of urine!

Madame’s job is to clean the bathroom and the toilet, which she does religiously with an assortment of expensive cleaning materials.

The chauffeur’s job is to empty and rinse the inside of the cassette and make sure the recess into which the cassette slides also remains clean and fresh. Being a good chauffeur I do my bit too.

We both evacuate urine (I assume), so who is to blame?

It appears that no one is to blame :) It turns out that the top surface of the cassette blade is to blame. IT stinks.

I’ve tried, carefully, to clean it. I’ve sprayed it with disinfectant. I’ve sprayed it with WD40 in an attempt to make it urine-proof. None of this works for long. It appears the blade is impregnated with urea.

Any good tips, please? Madame doesn’t squat outside, particularly on campsites.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This stuff is amazing for giving us odour free grey and black tank contents , I am sure a splash in the bowl will soon fix your whiff 👍

E05DA955-1831-457B-96B6-3E6F41398952.jpeg

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
OMG... a smelly blade.... nothing worse. 👹👹👹👹.
Have you tried removing it to clean properly...
Incidently how are you so sure it is the blade.. has your cleaning routines and chemicals degraded surface of the blade so it is now porous and allowing your pee to soak into the plastic???

Jolak

Free Member
Nov 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 175
I've not been away in my motorhome yet, so I can't speak from any experience apart from 20 + years as a caravanner. I once had the toilet flush fail at the start of a four week holiday. We got through the holiday by using a spray container from shower cleaning spray and filled it with the pink bowl cleaning fluid. Before and after using the toilet, we sprayed the toilet bowl with the fluid and it worked perfectly well throughout the holiday. I intend to do this in the motorhome as the toilet flush just draws clean water, which, in my opinion, is insufficient for keeping the bowl and blade clean and smell free. I should add that we don't use the facilities on sites as we have found that a lot of people, particularly kids, don't know how to use a toilet brush. We've found that the only country where you can guarantee clean toilets and showers is the Netherlands.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Might be worth dismantelling the the whole slide assembly on top of the cassette to give it a thorough clean in white vinegar and hot water.
I've never heard of the cassette plastic becoming porous ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I've not been away in my motorhome yet, so I can't speak from any experience apart from 20 + years as a caravanner. I once had the toilet flush fail at the start of a four week holiday. We got through the holiday by using a spray container from shower cleaning spray and filled it with the pink bowl cleaning fluid. Before and after using the toilet, we sprayed the toilet bowl with the fluid and it worked perfectly well throughout the holiday. I intend to do this in the motorhome as the toilet flush just draws clean water, which, in my opinion, is insufficient for keeping the bowl and blade clean and smell free. I should add that we don't use the facilities on sites as we have found that a lot of people, particularly kids, don't know how to use a toilet brush. We've found that the only country where you can guarantee clean toilets and showers is the Netherlands.
Yes indeed Jolak.... that is a well known water saver tip used by many on here..
However always good to resurface good tips for those who may have missed it..
Thnx.. 👍👍👍👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
. I’ve sprayed it with WD40 i
That's a good way I buggering it, some of the parts are nylon WD40 makes nylon swell.

The problem will be a build up of calcium from the urine.
A mixture of white vinegar and ctrid acid mixed with hot water makes a super descaler.
I always give mine a good clean at least once a year, after everything has been soaking for a while I take the mechanism out and give it a good clean with a toothbrush (hers not mine).

OP
OP
G-RMPS
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks all. It’s definitely just the blade. No smells in the cassette or in the “box”. Happy to try silicone spray once I’ve got the blade clean with no residual smell, which is what I am finding difficult.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks all. It’s definitely just the blade. No smells in the cassette or in the “box”. Happy to try silicone spray once I’ve got the blade clean with no residual smell, which is what I am finding difficult.
With the blade closed pour some white vinegar on it and leave for a couple or hours.

You say it is only the blade but have you actually taken the mechanism out and had a look a lot of crud builds up on them.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
In the early days my blade leaked through to the top of the cassette so I sprayed with silicone and repeat occasionally and it cured the problem.
I also use a spray bottle of diluted top tank to keep it sweet before and after use.

Last edited:

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
We found Austria pretty good.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
That's a good way I buggering it, some of the parts are nylon WD40 makes nylon
40 + yrs ago WD40 was the go to spray for anything and everything.. After all it was marketed as just that and it did not have many, if any competitors..
No longer... there are plenty of much better and more appropriate sprays available..
IMO WD40 causes more damage than it fixes..

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Plus WD40 rather confusingly make a whole range not just the WD40 we know of 🤔
Indeed.... that's them trying to caught up the competition..
Company Xxx has a developed a Silicon Spray.
Shite what will we do... developed WD40 Silicon spray. Not as good as the competitors pure Silicon Spray ....
BUT our possible inferior product has WD40 in title So it must be better...
After all is WD40 not the Dogs Bollocks in all things "spray.y".. 🤣🤣

frenchie 79

Free Member
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class

Madame’s job is to clean the bathroom and the toilet, which she does religiously with an assortment of expensive cleaning materials.

The chauffeur’s job is to empty and rinse the inside of the cassette and make sure the recess into which the cassette slides also remains clean and fresh. Being a good chauffeur I do my bit too.

It appears that no one is to blame :) It turns out that the top surface of the cassette blade is to blame. IT stinks.

I’ve tried, carefully, to clean it. I’ve sprayed it with disinfectant. I’ve sprayed it with WD40 in an attempt to make it urine-proof. None of this works for long. It appears the blade is impregnated with urea.

Do you spray toilet after use with pink solution or other toilet spray?We flush then spray with solution.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
i’m very careful what cleaning materials I use in the van, specially where plastics are concerned.
I do have two cleaners that I use neither have any bleach in them.
The other thing I use is white Vinegar.
Always open the blade before using toilet and rinse well when finished.
Make sure there is no Scale attached anywhere, that seems to be the main offender as it collects urine!

Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp

We do the same as Jolak and have no problems and it’s easy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I know you say it's the blade but have you taken off the seat and lid and cleaned where they attach? I've had an issue in the past where the toilet ponged despite looking pristine but upon removing the lid etc there was some hidden urine under that, once cleaned it didn't pong at all.

OP
OP
G-RMPS
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Lots of clues here. I may wait until I get home to remove the mechanism, but I can attend to all of the other tips here. Thanks.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I know you say it's the blade but have you taken off the seat and lid and cleaned where they attach? I've had an issue in the past where the toilet ponged despite looking pristine but upon removing the lid etc there was some hidden urine under that, once cleaned it didn't pong at all.
Blimey Minxy I know I take salts to help in the toilet area. Mine are Epsom Salts, yours must be Summer 🙄😄🤭

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back