Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
There doesn't seem to be much space for two rear beds in a Campscout Revolution for 4-peeps but can the lower one be removed so that the top one then sits in its place instead?

Screenshot_20191103-222642_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: f6c
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
There doesn't seem to be much space for two rear beds in a Campscout Revolution for 4-peeps but can the lower one be removed so that the top one then sits in its place instead?

View attachment 343451

Good idea in theory but I could never sleep in either of those rear beds if they were both in situ.
Too claustrophobic, top one too high and I would have nightmares sleeping on the bottom with that above me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Good idea in theory but I could never sleep in either of those rear beds if they were both in situ.
Too claustrophobic, top one too high and I would have nightmares sleeping on the bottom with that above me.
Horses for courses, I wouldn't feel comfortable with the low height in the standard PVCs but while I'm asleep I don't notice much. In fact we have slept with the top bunk right at the top so we have been pretty much between the cupboards.
As far as I know its the only PVC available that can sleep 4 adults on double beds.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
we have the 600L revolution - but only with the upper bed -
For us it works great, as we can travel (and sleep with our bikes inside the van. the standard bed height is 720mm above floor level (common with most vans. but 29er MTB (even with a dropper post fully depressed with the front wheel off (or a road bike without front wheel but with saddle in correct position (is about 750-770mm high - so won't fit under a standard bed.
the ability to raise and lower the rear bed is super - we leave the rear bed made up and can lift it to the roof to load / travel in the van with the bikes under it.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The Campscout Revolution is now a no-go for us.

I asked for a PX price against a MY19 CS Revolution Elegance model with 450-miles on the clock and the cost-to-change was £14,250 against the forecourt price of just over £58,000.

We'll stick with what we've got for now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Campscout Revolution is now a no-go for us.

I asked for a PX price against a MY19 CS Revolution Elegance model with 450-miles on the clock and the cost-to-change was £14,250 against the forecourt price of just over £58,000.

We'll stick with what we've got for now.
Shop around and/or sell it privately ... that's what we did when we changed to the Globecar Campscout, selling our Familyscout privately.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Shop around and/or sell it privately ... that's what we did when we changed to the Globecar Campscout, selling our Familyscout privately.

I don't think we have long left for this motorhome world of ours Mel so I will be looking around for houses to buy in Cyprus or Spain instead. :D

I can use the PVC for moving our gear instead of renting a van from Enterprise, albeit Enterprise do some bl○○dy fantastic daily rates, lol.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Well, sold our 8.5 meter A Class on Wednesday and are expecting a new, ex-stock Campscout Elegance at beginning of February 21 from Signature at Preston. They are waiting for delivery of a VanStar Swing Out bike carrier to fit to the van before we collect.

It'll be a very different way of vanning and there are lots questions forming.... Including whether the pre-installed (I hope) reversing camera cables have standard connectors that will mean most cameras/monitors are compatible.

Deleted User
Van star bike carrier looks great, have a Hymer Grand Canyon looking for a similar carrier myself.
My problem is I'm about to install a rear door spare wheel carrier and doubt there's enough clearance between carrier and first bike.
Looks nice and strong though.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Well, sold our 8.5 meter A Class on Wednesday and are expecting a new, ex-stock Campscout Elegance at beginning of February 21 from Signature at Preston. They are waiting for delivery of a VanStar Swing Out bike carrier to fit to the van before we collect.

It'll be a very different way of vanning and there are lots questions forming.... Including whether the pre-installed (I hope) reversing camera cables have standard connectors that will mean most cameras/monitors are compatible.
Hi Hagstrom and welcome to the world of Globecar !
Have a look at this thread (post 738)... it shows both ends of the reversing camera cable that I found in my 2019 Campscout. I made a brief attempt to find a camera system (but didn't try too hard). I had an older Garmin SatNav with a remote camera and so installed it instead. Good luck finding a camera and please do share whatever you find.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Thankyou CamperSue - that's very useful. It looks like the connectors are 6 pin Mini DINs with the female at the barn doors end and the male at the drivers footwell end.

Will share if I succeed.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thankyou CamperSue - that's very useful. It looks like the connectors are 6 pin Mini DINs with the female at the barn doors end and the male at the drivers footwell end.

Will share if I succeed.
Hagstrom - When you get a chance, you really should read through the forum. There is a huge amount of great information (as well as some rubbish! :p), especially in the Globecar Modifications thread.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, I already have read all the Globecar and Globecar mods threads (very extensive) but had forgotten the excellent photos of the camera/monitor plugs. Now finding that most reversing cameras/monitors are 4 pin DIN based.

Nov 18, 2019
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
Hi Sue, great info regarding the ferries. The options list has 2 options for alloys (light or heavy foe maxi chassis - Very xonfusing) but it's something we would want.

Which chassis did you opt for in the end.
Remember ferry prices also go up over 6 meters on Continental routes

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We've come late to this discussion but the thing that made us choose the Campscout over any other likely contenders was the option for the 138l 3 way fridge and the huge amount of storage. As has already been pointed out it also comes with the heavy duty chassis as standard so it's a really easy upgrade to 4500kgs provided you have the licence. There is ample space on the roof for a 300w solar panel and I could have got another 100w one on there but 300w seems more than adequate even for extended off grid. We had an underslung propane tank fitted and got rid of the gas bottles to create even more storage but looking at the disappearance of LPG from forecourts that could backfire eventually. We just pull in and fill up every time we pass a pump. It's the heating that uses it mostly so in summer not any problem. I agree about the price list for extras but a lot of the extras are standard on the UK models. Talk to West Country Motorhomes who are dealers and although I didn't buy from them I found they knew what they were talking about.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm not trawling back through this thread to find the post I'll have done where I gave a link to my website about our previous Campscout, so if anyone wants to see some of the mods I did to it have a shuftie here:

Globecar Campscout Info

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Hi @MinxyGirl, I've read and enjoyed your Mods website several times and hope to incorporate several of your suggetsions when I get hold of the van. Particularly the Gaslow removable hatch, the solar panels (though I thought if the Votronic solar regulator output feed went into the EBL119, the EBL would automatically manage the engine battery trickle charge without having to connect the Votroinic to the Engine battery directly,) the 12v socket above the dinette seats, step storage mod, sliding door pockets - and maybe more!

Thank you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi @MinxyGirl, I've read and enjoyed your Mods website several times and hope to incorporate several of your suggetsions when I get hold of the van. Particularly the Gaslow removable hatch, the solar panels (though I thought if the Votronic solar regulator output feed went into the EBL119, the EBL would automatically manage the engine battery trickle charge without having to connect the Votroinic to the Engine battery directly,) the 12v socket above the dinette seats, step storage mod, sliding door pockets - and maybe more!

Thank you.
It didn't unfortunately hence the need for the extra lead for the cab battery, it was easy to do though so not an issue.

Check which model of EBL you have as they may have a different one which does this now.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Team,

Nicky and I have just returned from a week away in the Highlands and after a wee chat the two of us have concluded that our Pilote is far too big for touring the various places which we want to visit (Highlands & Islands, Orkney, Shetters, Wales, Ireland and English coastline etc). We just feel that the slightly reduced body size of the Globecar would help us avoid any potential run-ins with logging trucks, German coach tour buses and dodgy roads.

While I was at SMC yesterday I took the opportunity to enquire about a Campscout and a Summit 640 - these vans look fantastic and are just smaller versions of our Pilote if the truth be known.

We've been offered a very healthy PX against our van but that said I'm still struggling to read and understand the Globecar options list.

If I use the Campscout and the Summit 640 as a preferred option then what chassis would you guys recommend.

Also, what options would you Globecar owners advise as being essential kit for touring etc (incl cold weather options, solar & battery options and any other nice things for looking cool while touring).:cool:

I will have a few more questions as this thread unfolds.

Cheers All,

Andrew

The 'Time for a Globecar' thread has come and gone guys and it seems like only yesterday since I started this thread.

We're now van-less and I'm wondering what to do next?

Perhaps a canoe - I've always fancied one so watch this space, lol

All the best,

Andrew

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, Just picked this up so I’ll tell you why we bought a Campscout.
1. Built on the heavy duty chassis so an easy upgrade if you need it.
2. Permanent berths with great storage under.
3. Option for 130l 3 way fridge which we have.
4. Choose the large engine with auto. We have the old box but the new Chrysler box is superb I believe.
5. Good build quality - no rattles.
6. Good shower and toilet arrangement.

Extras fitted. Underslung gas tank gets rid of gas bottles, Fiamma electric awning, Vango driveaway annexe, external gas BBQ point, tow hitch for the electric bike mounting or towing the Smart car.

Think about the fact the passage through the saloon is narrow but that’s common to most vans and wiggling out for a wee in the night is slightly harder with the longitudinal beds but the extra space in the 6.3 m is invaluable. Others may disagree but it’s a personal thing. Love it and currently in Cornwall, although the weather could be better.

Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
4. Choose the large engine with auto. We have the old box but the new Chrysler box is superb I believe.

Extras fitted. Underslung gas tank gets rid of gas bottles, Fiamma electric awning, Vango driveaway annexe, external gas BBQ point, tow hitch for the electric bike mounting or towing the Smart car.

Think about the fact the passage through the saloon is narrow but that’s common to most vans and wiggling out for a wee in the night is slightly harder with the longitudinal beds but the extra space in the 6.3 m is invaluable. Others may disagree but it’s a personal thing. Love it and currently in Cornwall, although the weather could be better.
Likewise had our 540 summit Prime just over a month - had three trips so far and love it. No problems with Sky Roof so far and really like the extra light and feeling of room it provides. No rattles and great ride with 9 speed auto. Agree that transverse bed necessitates the occasional climb over of partner 😜in night but needs must. Highly recommended 👍🏻

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Forgot to say we also fitted a 300 watt panel plus an extra leisure battery and with the 3 way option on the fridge we hardly ever need a hook up, although it is quite nice sometimes.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

That sounds like a truly tip-top van to own. We returned from Cornwall yesterday and the weather was a bit damp but otherwise very nice for the 3-days we were there.

Enjoy your Campscout :cool:

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back