Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Chester. UK
Funster No
MH
VW Komet camper
Exp
Spring 09
Hi everyone, we are off to France for the first time in the van next month. We are seeking information regarding French automated petrol stations and how to pay. I understand that they do not take English cards, how do you get a French one ? Also can anyone advise on route finding on smaller b/c type roads away from the tolls ? Any info much appreciated. Tilly and Bill:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi and welcome to the FUN....

you may get better response to your question if you post it in the "Motorhome chat" forum.

anyway.....i wouldnt worry too much about the auto stations unless you want fuel on sundays.
most town petrol stations are attended and open most of the day.

unless you really have to, dont buy fuel on the toll roads/motorways....far too expensive, pull off the motorway and look for a supermarket complex....most Major junctions have one nearby.

as for getting a french debit/credit card....you will need a french bank account and french residential address. :Doh:

we drove to the south of france enroute to spain and never used an auto once.

regarding route finding.....a satnav set to avoid motorways/tolls will be the best bet.
enter where you want to go and it will do the rest.

for online route planning i use Via michelin <<Link Removed>>

Last edited:

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We have not had any problems using our cards in France although the machines do differ in how they operate mostly they will only serve say 50 Euro's worth or some may only dispense up to 50 ltrs but no problem just do a second fill if you need more.
Another thing if you do not already have one get a Nationwide BS account their transactions do not carry a charge for use abroad and they always give a good exchange rate, but if you use their credit card tell them you are travelling abroad otherwise as a security measure they will stop your card transactions I usually give them a ring and give them my travel details then everything works ok:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
got back two weeks ago from Spain and france . no problem with cards at all.
if you can use your debit card you get a better exchange .
when filling up a automatic pump it will talk you through in English ,if you do get it wrong
just Wait till it closes down and try again .most garages are closed on Sunday but will find one open somewhere. keep tank full if you can its about 20p more expensive on major roads .

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Fuel France & Spain

Study your road maps fro cheap roads in France, it is worth getting an uptodate maps of the country, most are only a few pounds or so from the right sources. Aires in France and to a lesser degree in Spain are useful for overnight stops, but make sure your doors are chained across and park sensibly, with others, under lights if possible.Try putting out a large stainless steel 'dog bowl', with water in, outside your doors overnight, it works wonders.
As far as fuel is concerned use large supermarkets to obtain cheaper fuel, here in Spain its less than one Euro, some down to 0.88E per litre equating to about £0.83/litre.

Ron W

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back