Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have started tiling the kitchen area in our RV and thought I would share some info.

I contacted Thor Motor Coach (The RV builder) as I was unsure if the wall covering needed to come off first. No was the answer. The wall covering in most motorhomes is not the same as wallpaper in the home and the adhesive used to attach it is much stronger. The only wall prep I have done is to remove the border paper, sugar soap the wall to remove any grease and lightly score with a Stanley Knife.

I have used mosaic tiles as they seem more suited to flexible walls and are a lot thinner than standard tiles making them lighter. Also, they do not stick out too far at the edge of the wall and around the thin window casing.

Normal ceramic tile adhesive is out (Even tile on wood adhesive) so have gone for a flexible grab adhesive (Sikaflex EBT).

I have used a Dremel tool with a standard cutting disc to cut the tiles with (See photo).

I have applied the adhesive to the tile rather than the wall as this makes sure each individual tile will have adhesive on it.

Once the tile sheet is pressed on the wall with the palm of the hand, each individual tile has been pressed in the centre to make sure it in place.

I removed the extractor (6 screws) but went around the outline first to show where to tile up to.

I have used a brown tile sheet to match the wood work and a contrasting border to match the appliances (See photo). The border has been made by cutting a large sheet of mosaic into strips of three rows.

Tiles - Brown - TOPPS Tiles - £2.38 per sheet
Black/ grey - Wickes - £6.90 per sheet (Only two sheets needed)
Sikaflex EBT - Screwfix Direct - £7.99 each

Total cost for the job - £35 approx

I will take more pictures when the job is grouted and complete

Attachments

• damon kitchen.jpg
    damon kitchen.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 90
  • damon tiles1.jpg
    damon tiles1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 78
  • damon dremel.jpg
    damon dremel.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 78
  • damon tiles2.jpg
    damon tiles2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 90

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I did my Rockwood the same using Sikaflex and never had any problems with it. By the way you have done a good job,it looks well and is much easier to keep clean.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Just cos I'm idly curious - is there such a thing as flexible grout too?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in a word NO

however you can use a flexible sealant like sikaflex or a high quality silicon so it flexes without leaking

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you mix grout with PVA (the white wood glue) type stuff then it stays in place very well :thumb:Or you could simply use Painter chaulk :thumb:-squirt in wipe off with damp cloth,it also is very good to stick tiles on with :winky:
terry

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm using a polymer modified grout:

Broken Link Removed

Anything that can handle the expansion and contraction of underfloor heating should be OK. Don't use on 90 degree angles such as the join at the wall/ work surface or the internal corner. Use white silicone instead (preferably with an anti mould agent). I'll detail everything when finished and of course you can always PM me and I will attempt to answer any questions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back