Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
One is harnessed and we tether her to a hook fixed in the floor as she is a very nervous traveller so as soon as we start the engine she gets in her igloo basket tucked behind the passenger seat. She doesn't appear until the engine is switched off. The other is harnessed and fastened into the seatbelt on the sofa so he can sit up and look out the window which he likes to do.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We cage outs but the cage wouldn't be much cop in an impact. I'm not sure how to fit seat belts for them but I drive aware of that and look far ahead or drive relatively slowly.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Theres only two of us but four seat belts so the two dogs have harnesses plugged into the rear ones. It gives enough movement so they can get in their beds and can reach the 'non-spill' water bowl if they need it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Traveling on my wife's lap or on the floor is only dangerous for the dog, though we have very recently bought a harness for him and can now secure him.

Deleted User
Our three wear seat belt harnesses too.
Biskit likes to lay between the from seats so her anchor point allows her to do this. Other two behind her. Got foam flooring in this area so it's comfortable enough.

Lin :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Body harness attached to a seat belt anchor, we got the adaptor from pets at home. I'll try and get Rosie to oblige later and do a modelling shot :D

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Don't know if what I'm doing is ok, but I use a harness, tractable lead, and anchorage clip. Clip looped on oven door, next to bed. Dog on bed, lead long enough to get off bed.
Thought the whole idea of strapping dog in , was only to make sure dog can't interfere with your driving.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Don't know if what I'm doing is ok, but I use a harness, tractable lead, and anchorage clip. Clip looped on oven door, next to bed. Dog on bed, lead long enough to get off bed.
Thought the whole idea of strapping dog in , was only to make sure dog can't interfere with your driving.

No! - exactly like untethered people of any age, it's to stop them becoming missiles endangering not only their own lives but also those of the other vehicle occupants.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I know I've said this before on other threads, but our dogs travel at the front with us, one in the front footwell and one between the seats, either harnessed or not, but either way, it wouldn't make any difference in a heavy frontal impact because I would then have a split second to wonder how well secured the fridge and cooker were, one behind me, the other behind Mrs A. :(

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
When I
No! - exactly like untethered people of any age, it's to stop them becoming missiles endangering not only their own lives but also those of the other vehicle occupants.
When I adopted my dog, I was shown by agency how to use the front seat belt and anchorage point, and told its to keep the dog from interfering with my driving. I decided it was too dangerous on the front seat because a dog has enough slack to get off the seat. No problem if in a car. But in my van, my dog is hanging suspended as he is small. Hence I moved him to the back of van

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
When I

When I adopted my dog, I was shown by agency how to use the front seat belt and anchorage point, and told its to keep the dog from interfering with my driving. I decided it was too dangerous on the front seat because a dog has enough slack to get off the seat. No problem if in a car. But in my van, my dog is hanging suspended as he is small. Hence I moved him to the back of van

Well I obviously agree that the possibly of becoming suspended is unacceptable but it really isn't on to leave him untethered and hence unsafe. What's to stop him becoming a missile when something big enough hard enough and fast enough hits you and smashing through the screen or a window and hitting something/body innocently standing/walking along at the side of you?

Surely they sell proper dog harnesses that clip into the van seatbelt fixings on the front passenger seat to facilitate safe transportation, even for little dogs - and 'little' is absolutely comparative anyway - I certainly wouldn't want to be hit by a speeding Chihuahua flying at warp speed - and were I a toddler ........

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Well I obviously agree that the possibly of becoming suspended is unacceptable but it really isn't on to leave him untethered and hence unsafe. What's to stop him becoming a missile when something big enough hard enough and fast enough hits you and smashing through the screen or a window and hitting something/body innocently standing/walking along at the side of you?

Surely they sell proper dog harnesses that clip into the van seatbelt fixings on the front passenger seat to facilitate safe transportation, even for little dogs - and 'little' is absolutely comparative anyway - I certainly wouldn't want to be hit by a speeding Chihuahua flying at warp speed - and were I a toddler ........
My dog is harnessed if you read my previous thread. But I'm not sure the way I've gone about it is legal. The harness I brought from the adoption agency is a legal one for smAll dogs. He can climb off the front seat , but not touch the floor. A seat belt won't lock into place until force is applied. By bed /lounge area doesnt have seat belts as its side facing. He can't be a missile through the window, as he is harnessed, but to my oven. But he can be a missile inside the van for 3 foot

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
When I announced I was going to do a conversion, the other half said make sure a dog crate goes in and the rest is up to you! Dog crate now in, with anchor points and accessible from back doors or inside. Just got to finish the rest now

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It's all well and good securing a dog ... or a cat ... or whatever but as with a couple of others the cooker, fridge & cupboard contents etc worry me more.

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
It's all well and good securing a dog ... or a cat ... or whatever but as with a couple of others the cooker, fridge & cupboard contents etc worry me more.

Are they not secured into fixed units? Not that this would concern me as i have no intention of having either in this van but my next i will and may be keeping part of the bulkhead for safety reasons. All depends on layout and fixings i suppose.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Are they not secured into fixed units? Not that this would concern me as i have no intention of having either in this van but my next i will and may be keeping part of the bulkhead for safety reasons. All depends on layout and fixings i suppose.
Depends on your definition of secured. The fridge and oven are 'secured' using 4 half inch screws into the wooden surround. Pretty sure a full head on crash would dislodge those quite easily.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back