Tidy garage storage advice needed. (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I have a decent sized garage with a large door at each end on my new Hymer t564. There are tracks at the bottom on both sides with eye bolts which can be slid as required and a second track at the top on the 'back' side. All very useful and this arrangement has enabled me to stow my spare wheel by lashing it upright (thanks for the idea @Minxy Girl ). Now I want to use all the space tidily and not just put everything on the floor. Ideally, I would like to hang lighter things (Moroccan carpet, fishing rod etc) from the ceiling. As the garage is under the fixed transverse bed, the top of the garage is a board of some sort, which I would prefer not to drill. However, running across underneath the board are several square section, hollow aluminium struts, presumably reinforcing the bed base. I have checked with Hymer that it would be OK to drill these. Now I am looking for advice as to what I could screw into them in the way of hooks and eyes. As they are hollow the depth of thread in the metal would not be great. Are there such things as self tapping eyebolts, for example? Any ideas out there?

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Try googling "captive nuts"
Might be a solution

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Difficult to see from these pictures but the previous owners of our van fitted a pole along the back from the bed supports which is useful for hanging stuff from, we’ve added cargo nets both to hold stuff against the side and as hammocks above.

We also fitted a removable shelve to double the useable space.

52079A7E-6DFA-4406-B3B7-602D248446EB.jpeg

8C961486-6CD5-464E-8CEB-F162829CD7C0.jpeg

98618F82-FCD5-4C77-8AB4-61E61A9D6FBA.jpeg

Our spare tyre is behind the Cadac bbq hence the shelf needing to be removable.

The webbed pockets attached to the back wall provide loads of storage, they are invaluable for storing smaller stuff.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Whatever you put in the roof will split your scalp if you climb inside.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Stand your carpet up in a bucket and then if it goes away wet you don’t soak the garage floor.

Martin

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you were to go around the accessory stalls at the Dusseldorf Show (late August) you’ll find all manner of storage systems, static and sliding. If your doors are similar size, you can slide out the whole contents of your garage to either side, rather than just one. They will take all combinations of bike, board and even carpet. Not cheap though (over €1k) and quite heavy (50kg) even though they’re made of Aluminium. Never seen anything like them for sale over here. Several different makes but, sadly, I cannot remember any of their names.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
If you were to go around the accessory stalls at the Dusseldorf Show (late August) you’ll find all manner of storage systems, static and sliding. If your doors are similar size, you can slide out the whole contents of your garage to either side, rather than just one. They will take all combinations of bike, board and even carpet. Not cheap though (over €1k) and quite heavy (50kg) even though they’re made of Aluminium. Never seen anything like them for sale over here. Several different makes but, sadly, I cannot remember any of their names.
Yes, I have seen them advertised. What I had in mind was a few hooks and a cargo net...just a tad cheaper, I think:)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Crikey some people are organised in the garage department:eek:

Mine is arranged in such a way as to make it a guessing game what will fall out when I open the doors.

@Mousy what are those wooden blocks for in the last photo giant Jenna?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Crikey some people are organised in the garage department:eek:

Mine is arranged in such a way as to make it a guessing game what will fall out when I open the doors.

@Mousy what are those wooden blocks for in the last photo giant Jenna?

@Mr Mousy puts them under our levelling jacks.....but only on “special occasions”....

Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
My garage is sort of ' everything wedged in' approach, but

Could you not run 3 or 4 bungees front to back under the bottom of your bed and then slide in light items at 90 degrees? ie straight in, as you face the garage doors.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
My garage is sort of ' everything wedged in' approach, but

Could you not run 3 or 4 bungees front to back under the bottom of your bed and then slide in light items at 90 degrees? ie straight in, as you face the garage doors.
yes. it's what to hook them to is the question. i have now identified some D-rings with M4 self tappers to make the anchor points. job done, I hope

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back