Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-a-tick/

I saw this some years ago, never had much success with a tick removal tool cant seem to get it in and under, but this really works, tried it a few times on Lola. Really good if you find one when you haven't got the tool handy

Put your finger on the back of the tick and very gently press, then rotate in a very small circle, as it says like you are trying to make it giddy

The tick just retracts and you can lift off :)(y)

Hope the link works, I am not good at copying video links o_O

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That's really useful David, thanks.

A couple of important points (for anyone who doesn't read right to the end) are:

"Once you have the tick out, wrap the tick in a piece of tape to kill it."

"If you're taking it off yourself or another person, you probably want to put it in a jar of rubbing alcohol and get it tested for Lyme disease."

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you get a rash at the site of the tick, get tested.

Lyme disease, Martin's been there!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just put sum after shave on a bit of cotton wool put it over the wee beste
For abut 10 min and it will let go and drop off any strong alcohol will do
It's all I have ever used.
Methylated spirits surgical spirits
Even alcohol based deodorant
Never used a tool in my life ether on dogs cats or human
It was a old vet told me that trick many years ago
Bill

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I don't tend to carry after-shave around with me though, Bill :whistle:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
That's really useful David, thanks.

A couple of important points (for anyone who doesn't read right to the end) are:

"Once you have the tick out, wrap the tick in a piece of tape to kill it."

"If you're taking it off yourself or another person, you probably want to put it in a jar of rubbing alcohol and get it tested for Lyme disease."
Rubbing alcohol is the Best removal tool
On cotton wool
Bill

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

interesting read, not quite sure what really determines myths from facts, but the rotating trick genuinely worked for us on our dog several times, absolutely nothing left behind, but we might have just got lucky

we do use treatments all the time and another myth might be added,

treatments apparently will not top a tick attaching, but the makers of the potions probably don't want to add that one o_O(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As the tick removers are so cheap why not simply get a couple of sets, one for the MH and one to carry around in your hand/man bags ... I bet you haven't got one of these in your manbag @buttons :D2.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As the tick removers are so cheap why not simply get a couple of sets, one for the MH and one to carry around in your hand/man bags ... I bet you haven't got one of these in your manbag @buttons :D2.

my trouble with them is not being able to easily get it correctly under the tick, maybe due to Lolas excess fur more than my ability or lack of it :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never needed to use a tool either.

I've always found it pretty simple to persuade them to let go.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Our collie has a very thick coat so using a tool is very difficult. We met a shepherd a few years ago and he showed us how to turn the tick anticlockwise and it comes off easily. Works every time and I always check the tick has all it's hooks before despatching it, humanely of course :smiley:

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
An interesting idea, but please watch the video because you don't press the tick at all......a bad thing to do.
Thank you for posting, other ideas are always welcome and worth consideration.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That is one thing that I haven't got MG but must say I have never seen a tic in my life and if possible would rather leave it that way...:)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
my trouble with them is not being able to easily get it correctly under the tick, maybe due to Lolas excess fur more than my ability or lack of it :)
Yes, I find it more difficult to use the tool on Georgie because of her undercoat, her dad was more like a sheep than a sheep dog and even though he was Gabby's Grandad she has a much less of a fur explosion going on.:mm:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I pulled two of the little buggers out of my own leg last Friday evening after a week of wild camping in a tiny tent on a Scottish beach. I used the twiddly tool.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Regularly have to use the twiddly tool with the dogsit dogs in the Lake District.
http://www.otom.com/en/

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Have always carried an O'Tom in my first aid kit, for me and my dog.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Blue's just had his third blood test in 10 days, he went off his food in northern Italy a couple of weeks ago but at the time, we just put it down to the high temperatures, he's lethargic and has lost a couple of kilos. Never saw any ticks on either of the dogs till we got to Bavaria and had to brush about 20 off Sky, luckily only two had latched on.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
my wife pulls them out with a twist, never been an issue. we tend to burn them in the open fire or chimnea depending the time of the year.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Blue's just had his third blood test in 10 days, he went off his food in northern Italy a couple of weeks ago but at the time, we just put it down to the high temperatures, he's lethargic and has lost a couple of kilos. Never saw any ticks on either of the dogs till we got to Bavaria and had to brush about 20 off Sky, luckily only two had latched on.
Oh dear, sounds similar to what our Lily went through a couple of times, the first time it happened she'd had a tick feeding off her overnight (hidden in the fold of one of her legs so we didn't spot it), but we knew something was wrong as she was sitting quietly on my knee as we travelled instead of being a quivering jelly, this of course was a Sunday in France! We got in touch with a lovely local vet who came out to her surgery immediately with her daughter who spoke English and Lily was put on a drip and had all sorts of bits and bobs given to her ... if we hadn't taken her for treatment then I hate to think what would have happened ... the vet wasn't sure if she'd survive! We spent quite a while at the vets and fortunately Lily recovered enough for us to continue our journey to the port to travel to the UK the following day. Thank goodness the travel insurance we had at the time had emergency pet treatment included with no excess although to be fair the vet wasn't that expensive, about €70 I think including medicines to take with us, very reasonable.

Lily had a similar 'attack' a few years later in Germany but we knew what to watch for and got her treated very quickly but it was still a worry.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Our collie has a very thick coat so using a tool is very difficult. We met a shepherd a few years ago and he showed us how to turn the tick anticlockwise and it comes off easily. Works every time and I always check the tick has all it's hooks before despatching it, humanely of course :smiley:
Yes as you say it does work, we dispatch them by using a Hammer they are tough little bug***s.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Does the collars and tick/flea treatment not work then?
Plan on taking our two Jack Russell's with us when we get our van but don't fancy spending all night tick hunting!
They have only picked up one each in the nine years I have had them in the UK and they go for walks every day...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Does the collars and tick/flea treatment not work then?
Plan on taking our two Jack Russell's with us when we get our van but don't fancy spending all night tick hunting!
They have only picked up one each in the nine years I have had them in the UK and they go for walks every day...
Yes they do work, but they don't stop the little sods trying to get on the dogs though!

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Yes they do work, but they don't stop the little sods trying to get on the dogs though!

Well said, MG, we have done are long haired GSD with frontline which is supposed to kill fleas and ticks.
Our story cut short, "Bear" had two ticks when we were in Scotland so googled ticks and found out about the OP's story, it worked on the first one but not the second, bought a tick removal tool for the second one and it worked a treat.

We have recently moved and "Bear" has picked up eleven of the little blighters in the last five weeks, so the removal tool we bought in Scotland has been brilliant.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
For abut 10 min and it will let go and drop off any strong alcohol will do
It's all I have ever used.
Methylated spirits surgical spirits
Even alcohol based deodorant
Never used a tool in my life ether on dogs cats or human
It was a old vet told me that trick many years ago
Bill
Agree. The missus always used our best gin to relax the tick's grip then a pair of eyebrow tweezers to Lift it off.
But when i complained too much she bought one of those tools.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back