Thule Rear Warning Signal Plate - question? (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I'm intending getting one of these alloy signs and came across this...just curious why one say's specifically for Spain?

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 08.44.11.jpg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You can buy on line a "dual" one

The Spanish regs are different to the Italian regs

If your going to bother to display a board it may as well be the correct one

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We've never had a problem using the plastic one with reflectors, during our years of MH'ing, and have just replaced it in April whilst in Italy, for a whopping €5. ;)

I have to say, that if one of those alloy warning plates comes flying off the back of anyone's MH, it could do some serious damage to either someone else's vehicle, or possible injury to a following biker. :eek: I am not in favour of using one myself. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've got a plastic one, the reflective bits are cracking and the chrome eyelets in the corners are completely rusted. Will get an alloy one after I've saved up for it. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
The reason I was going for the metal one was that we've just bought a tricycle for Ginny that requires a towbar fitted rack. I've just ordered this one. With the alloy version I was thinking that I could come up with a more substantial way of securing it somewhere just above where the number plate would go.

Well that was the plan!

s-l1600.jpg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We've got a plastic one but I glued a piece of, I think, 2mm Ply on the rear making it more sturdy and less inclined to fold in half.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Been here before! If your bike's do not protrude beyond your number plate and rear lights on the carrier you do not require a warning triangle. However, the general acceptance on this forum was plastic warning plate for all European countries other than Italy who require a metal one by law. I'm of the view dealers will try and get you to buy the Ali one as it's more money in their tills.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
That's the one we have on our Bailey, fitted by Watling.

View attachment 125112

That looks like the same engineering as the rack I've ordered. My only little concern is that when it's fitted and the trike is on that the Fiamma rack above might hit the bike when it's down and has my bike on it! I won't know until it's delivered. How much higher above the line of the ball is yours? It looks pretty level to me which will be ideal.

I have a contingency plan to convert my two bike Fiamma into a single bike rack if I need to :rolleyes:.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a Thule tow bar mounted bike carrier. The bikes do not protrude beyond the number plate/rear lights of carrier.
We were stopped and fined €80, reduced to €40 for paying on spot. Be warned.
They then helped us buy a warning plate at nearby garage.
They were nice guys actually.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We have a Thule tow bar mounted bike carrier. The bikes do not protrude beyond the number plate/rear lights of carrier.
Thanks for this. Which country did this occur in and what year please.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp

But you still had a load that projected beyond the 'normal' end of your motorhome so can't say I'm surprised that you were pulled over and fined. Nice to know the authorities helped you out though!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When we bought our new bikes earlier this year we treated ourselves to a Atera Strada Evo which I have to say is the best bike rack I have ever used, very quick on and off and the bikes are extremely secure http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?26825&gclid=CKzJ2tDgnc8CFeoy0woduW4EGQ Yes it is expensive, No we don't sell them ;) and Yes I would buy another without hesitation.

I bought a bike cover from Bags for Everything

This has a clear pocket in which to slide the aluminium warning plate, so all nice and legal even if we meet a "Jobsworth" Plod, the bikes keep clean and dry and out of sight.

The Evo bike rack is locked onto the two bar and the flexible ratchet straps around the frames are steel re-enforced and also lockable.

And obviously I have the alarm accessory loop weaved in and out as well so any attempt to remove the bikes results in all hell being unleashed by Growler and us getting a telephone call to let us know that some scroat is up to no good!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a back box on my bike rack (the dogs have never learned how to ride a bike) and have the Ali sign which is screwed onto the back box so wont fly off. I did have the plastic one but the eyelets rusted so looked unsightly.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
That looks like the same engineering as the rack I've ordered. My only little concern is that when it's fitted and the trike is on that the Fiamma rack above might hit the bike when it's down and has my bike on it! I won't know until it's delivered. How much higher above the line of the ball is yours? It looks pretty level to me which will be ideal.

I have a contingency plan to convert my two bike Fiamma into a single bike rack if I need to :rolleyes:.

The tow ball is an added extra which is fitted seperately without the rack. Mine, and I assume yours is the same, sits on the plate.
I'll put mine on and take some pics after me coffee. :)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
The tow ball is an added extra which is fitted seperately without the rack. Mine, and I assume yours is the same, sits on the plate.
I'll put mine on and take some pics after me coffee. :)

That's good of you...much obliged!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Now I've got the wife asking if we're going away. :RollEyes:

The cross rails sit about 180mm above the tow ball position so not as level as you might hope. You're not asking about tow balls in particular but although you can fit a standard ball on the same plate it is apparently not type approved, or whatever the legislation states. The one provided by Watling replaces the carrier extension completely as you can work out from the pics.

P1060215.JPG
P1060214.JPG
P1060216.JPG

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks very much...a picture paints a thousand words as they say! Are you packed up read now then? lol

I reckon I will have about 30" between the rack and the bottom of my two bike Fiamma. The trike we're getting is 37" high at the handlebars...but some of that height will be lost when the wheels site in the rack. Hopefully some jiggling about will get it on ok.

If not there is always the hammer and the saw!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
There's always that! Yes we are going away but it's a cruise six months earlier than planned as we got a bogoff, we are still planning to do the war graves and battlefields but it will have to wait, again.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
DaveandGinn
I was stating what happened, not complaining. I, like a previous poster, had misunderstood the law.
They did not protrude beyond the number plate on my carrier. You seem to think that would be OK. The Guadia Civil would disagree.

Philandmena
This was last June (2015) on the A23 just South of Teruel. They had 2 or 3 pairs of bikes out and were collecting dozens of vehicles for various infringements. I was the only foreigner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
DaveandGinn
I was stating what happened, not complaining. I, like a previous poster, had misunderstood the law.
They did not protrude beyond the number plate on my carrier. You seem to think that would be OK. The Guadia Civil would disagree.

I think we're at crossed purposes here; what I'm saying is that there needs to be a warning signal plate if you have a bike rack or similar that extrudes from the rear end of your vehicle and that the plate needs to be affixed on it.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Nightmare trying to find out what is compulsory in any euro country.
One rule said bike rack not to extend more than 45 cms from rear of vehicle.
Another said you have to have a red light in at night and in bad weather.
Another said rear square has to be aluminium.
No idea how you find out out what to do.
However, I do believe that Spanish police are self funding.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Nightmare trying to find out what is compulsory in any euro country.
One rule said bike rack not to extend more than 45 cms from rear of vehicle.
Another said you have to have a red light in at night and in bad weather.
Another said rear square has to be aluminium.
No idea how you find out out what to do.
However, I do believe that Spanish police are self funding.

Where does the 45cm rule come from Sue as that's only about 18" out? I assume the red light is the same as we have on vehicles in the UK

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
"Portuguese regulations stipulate that bicycles may not be carried at the rear of a car, but they can be carried at the rear of a motor caravan or caravan, providing that they do not extend beyond the width of the vehicle or more than 45cm beyond its length.

In Spain and Italy any overhanging loads must be indicated by a square panel measuring 50cm x 50cm with reflectorised red and white diagonal stripes." From the Caravan Club. Also, see this other thread where the above is also quoted: Motorhomefun

That said, lots of folk say they haven't had a problem though I read of one given an on-the-spot fine.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That said, lots of folk say they haven't had a problem though I read of one given an on-the-spot fine.
Yes Geejay, for not displaying a warning board at all, and not necessarily for using a plastic board, as opposed to a metal one.

If you are seen to be doing right, you'll be alright.

BTW, the Italian Caravan Accessory shop at Garda, where I bought our new plastic board from in April/May this year, didn't have any metal boards, but had a fair size pile of plastic ones. If they are good enough for the Italians, they are good enough for me. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
In Spain and Italy any overhanging loads must be indicated by a square panel measuring 50cm x 50cm with reflectorised red and white diagonal stripes." From the Caravan Club.
If the white stripe on these rear marker boards is reflective, they're illegal in the UK as 'showing a white light to the rear'.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In a really, really weak moment a few years ago, I paid €9 in French accessory shop for one of those bike rack sign thingies. Why I did I will never understand.

I tied it on and had it there until the next time I used the bike (a week?)

It never, ever went back on display.

I have been through, and past, police checks, had my papers looked at, passport examined etc and none of them have ever bothered about the 'missing' sign.

I suppose this makes me a bad person in the eyes of some, but I am just one of those who doesn't tow every line always, and I don't get my knickers in a twist over every single piece of legislation brought in by the rule makers who need to keep making rules or they would be out of work.

I drive in Spain barefooted, I overnight in motorway service stations, I don't use my indicators if I am on an empty road in the middle of the night, I get out of the van without wearing a high viz vest and I sometimes park on the 'wrong' side on the road.

I have never had a habitation check, I have never weighed my van nor have I ever been weighed.

What I can't understand is how I am not dead (yet) or locked up for these shameful 'illegal' activities.

Worry is a dreadful, damaging and totally useless emotion.

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back