THULE Quickfit - any owners views ? (1 Viewer)

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Following on from Shrewsbury, SWMBO has decided we will get a safari room, however looking online it was suggested that a Quickfit may be a better option as it is supposed to be quicker to put up and take down, also lighter and potentially half the price.

Looking at it though, it does not have the clamping action on the sides of the wind out awning and was wondering what any owners thought of them. Do they stand up to the wind or do you feel you still have to take them down.

A search of the forum shows a few people have asked but got no responses, @ymfb - I know you bought one in July, what's your impression of it ?

Thanks

Al

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
it is well made, but Im not 100% sure we fitted it correctly as the sliding door on our Kingham hits the end.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We have had a safari room About 6 years ,tend not to use it unless we do a week as it takes a good hour to erect correctly .Ours has stood up to some pretty heavy winds over that time and is as good now as when we purchased it .I must say in a gale the awning rattle is noisy ,that does not bother me ,but it does bother my wife.We have just recently decided to buy a new awning due to our last one disappearing over the roof in an ungainly manner and have noticed the new one makes more noise than the last .We are presently sat in France with our Safari room erected and all is well and I would have no problem recommending the safari room.The extra space is priceless to us when on the longer stay venues.Regards H

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
adt

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
it is well made, but Im not 100% sure we fitted it correctly as the sliding door on our Kingham hits the end.
Thanks - Do you think it will stand up to windy conditions or is it something that you feel you'd have to take down ?
Could you also advise does the fixing at the van fix onto the awning casing or is it attached to the van (screwed ?)

We have had a safari room About 6 years ,tend not to use it unless we do a week as it takes a good hour to erect correctly .Ours has stood up to some pretty heavy winds over that time and is as good now as when we purchased it .I must say in a gale the awning rattle is noisy ,that does not bother me ,but it does bother my wife.We have just recently decided to buy a new awning due to our last one disappearing over the roof in an ungainly manner and have noticed the new one makes more noise than the last .We are presently sat in France with our Safari room erected and all is well and I would have no problem recommending the safari room.The extra space is priceless to us when on the longer stay venues.Regards H

Thanks, we were already looking at the THULE G3 Residence but got pointed towards the Quickfit by an online dealer as a viable option.
As with what you do the intention would be to use it when we pitch up for more than a weekend as we walk everywhere once we are there.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi adt ,Yes It does stand up to windy conditions providing you fit as detail .Never took it down because of wind and we have being in serious gale force winds in the past which does not do a lot for your blood pressure lol.We always put double straps on each of the front corners .The Safari tent fits to the awning only ,no fittings from the tent to the van as you know if you leave an awning out in the wind it will rattle a bit but there has to be some movement which you have to expect .Our awning is as the Safari room 4.5 metres and we have being happy with it over the years .They do like other types come up for sale secondhand on the forum from time to time might be worth a punt .wish you luck with your choice and most of all lol Enjoy .Harry

OP
OP
adt

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Just an update on our Quickfit as we’ve had a few people with small vans coming along to have a look at it.

This has been an absolute gem through the autumn, winter and spring as an extra room which allows us to towel off wet dogs before they get in the van. Has also been excellent for having visitors round.
It definitely takes longer than the advertised 15 minutes to put up, I would be able to if somebody propositioned all the pegs for me !
However, the initial hanging and the 4 corners then keeping it in place probably takes around that time with just pegging down the skirt taking more time.

I think my fastest is around an hour, but leaving most of the skirt, allows me to have a cuppa or get dinner on and then return to peg down later.

Overall, glad we got it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back