Thule or not Thule - that is the question (1 Viewer)

Mar 6, 2021
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D68 PVC
Exp
A little
Just been informed that the Fiamma F80S awning that was to be fitted ready for handover tomorrow hasn't arrived so will need to be retro-fitted. An alternative is to go with a Thule 6300 instead which is in stock. Having no real knowledge about either, it's difficult to make a comparison. We had the sales discussion many months ago.

One of the main points to consider is that I will want to review awning sides or drive away awnings in due course. I checked in with the accessories store and was informed that so long as the Fiamma awning has the 'rainguard bracket' then it will be possible to attach various awnings. The F80S to have been fitted does have this so far as I am aware which was probably the main factor for going that way at the time. I don't know about the Thule 6300.

Can anyone offer any insight as to whether it would be better to stick with the Fiamma F80S or whether the Thule 6300 would be equally suitable?

Having had a brief scan, it seems as though folk prefer the Thule for build quality but find the unwinding mechanism temperamental/troublesome. The build quality of some of the hinge brackets on the Fiamma can be weak some say and prone to snap.

Decisions Decisions. Need to make one fairly quickly as the Fiamma brackets have been fitted and would need to come off if going with the Thule.

My current inclination is to wait for the Fiamma but I thought I would see if there are any expert opinions available?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thule every tine for quality but comes with a cost

you may be surprised how little you use sides and fronts unless you really intend to stay for a long tine in one place. Just a hassle. But each to their own

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I have had both and not noticed that any one is better than the other. Wind out awnings. Both did what is said on the tin (and the Thule one still does). I wouldn't worry about it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
These are the two main brands for awnings, Thule has an excellent reputation for Quality (and Cost) depends on how long the delay might be for you and when the dealer can fit you back in vs need for shade when we actually get a summer this year.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our previous Rapido van had fiamma, our present Pilote van has thule, I would say thule is better quality the winding handle is fine once you get the knack of doing it, but both good awnings, if I was buying a new one šŸ˜‰ it would come down to cost. šŸ˜ Bob.

OP
OP
B
Mar 6, 2021
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D68 PVC
Exp
A little
Okay, thanks all. Seems like there is a full range of sides/fronts for both. Thule may be a bit more expensive but is great quality. Will go with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Most important in the length!

Ensure the end of the awning is not over the habitation door, otherwise in rain, you get the drips every time you enter and exit.
(Our van is OK, but someone we met had same van with a very slightly shorter awning, they had to get it changed! )

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The sun blind that attaches to the front edge of the canopy is really a good investment if you are travelling in Europe. Keeps you and the moment cooler/prides some shade

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back