Thule Omnistor Recall?? (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
All appears to look okay, the screws are tight with star washers all intact that stop the screws undoing themselves,I can only think that in the assembly of the unit the screws could be over tightened which could results in the thread being shredded but all is okay as rated and I am not at all worried.
Manufactured late 2016 fitted to van late 2017.
2193EC4A-3D9A-430D-B6E7-4BFEF69B77E8.jpeg
2193EC4A-3D9A-430D-B6E7-4BFEF69B77E8.jpeg
E483CA63-126E-4E4A-B5AC-A0369AF97F38.jpeg
E483CA63-126E-4E4A-B5AC-A0369AF97F38.jpeg

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
From what I understand if you look at the picture below, the drive wheel is the part right at the end of the tubular motor mechanism (part c):
04832AE2-CCC0-4F8F-AF87-C21D246ED1BF.png

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks DPS. With a bit of luck we’ll be able to remove the housing around the drive wheel and make sure it doesn’t move.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I’m not sure how they will be able to check that part as it will mean the complete removal of the motor assembly and the power wire but the wire goes straight through the back of the awning box and into the motorhome so won’t be an easy job, that’s if they have to remove the motor assembly. Maybe a fellow funster who has it checked before us can advise ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2013
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One
You are all talking about a recall for electric awnings ! I have a March 2016 Carthago chic e-line 51qb yatching which has a Thule 9200 awning manual 5m x 3m and the gearbox has failed. Had to call out the local camper serv agency who managed with 4 people to get it back in and is now held together with cable ties. Main dealer tells me he has spares in stock so can only assume by that it is a problem which is known about. Not very happy at just over 3 years old it fails !

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Did it just ‘eject’ without warning or was you trying to wind it out? Just interested in knowing any warning signs of imminent failure. I have a 6m electric one and wonder if I’ll come home and see it sprung out ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Did it just ‘eject’ without warning or was you trying to wind it out? Just interested in knowing any warning signs of imminent failure. I have a 6m electric one and wonder if I’ll come home and see it sprung out ?
Apparently that what happens

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Does not sound good if that happens!! Would be interested to know from anyone who this has happened to as specific details seem very sketchy

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Does not sound good if that happens!! Would be interested to know from anyone who this has happened to as specific details seem very sketchy

This is the info I received.

Product Recall: Thule Omnistor awning type TO 8000 and TO 9200 with integrated 230V Nice tubular motor, and Motor kits 230V for TO 8000 and TO 9200, produced in the time period June 2016 to July 2019

As we are sure you are aware, quality and safety are paramount to all the Thule products that we bring to the market. Despite our best efforts to always develop and manufacture high-quality products, we regret to inform you that we have identified a potential safety issue with our awnings, models Thule Omnistor TO 8000 and TO 9200 with integrated 230V tubular motor, produced in the time period from 01 June 2016 to 31 July 2019.

We have had limited number of reports of incidents where the drive wheel of the Nice 230V tubular motor has separated itself from the motor, causing an inadvertent and uncontrolled opening of the awning.

We have therefore notified the competent market surveillance authorities of the issue.

Now we ask for your help to facilitate the recall process. We need any contact information to all customers who may have received vehicles with the affected motorized awnings or where the awning motor has been retrofitted or repaired in the aforementioned period. We intend to properly inform these consumers, send them instructions and materials to secure their awning, and invite them to have their awning retrofitted for free.

We therefore kindly ask you to provide us immediately with all data of the affected end customers with the delivery and production date of their vehicle or with the date of installation of their motor kit. You may find attached a sample data sheet to input all necessary information required.

As our analysis shows that in a worst case scenario the issue may cause the awning to open while driving, and therefore could cause a significant safety risk for consumers, we recommend that the awnings of the affected consumers are retrofitted immediately or secured with the securisation kit available until it can be retrofitted, so that they can safely continue their travel. This applies to all vehicles with a 230V motorized awning or a retrofitted tubular motor from the aforementioned production period

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I just wondered if anyone had 1st hand experience of it happening or anyone who has had the fix completed and what exactly was involved ?

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I posted recently about our Morelo Palace going back to Morelo for servicing in September.

Whilst there I was advised of this issue and have to admit, although they told me this info was available on the internet, I hadn't seen or heard of it. I must admit I was a little scared to hear the potential outcome of this component failure.

Luckily for us, whilst our MH was there, Thule staff arrived at the Morelo factory and asked to check our awning and if it was one of the affected one's, to replace the defective part with the new solution.

When we went to collect the MH a month after leaving it there, we were told that ours was the first one to receive the Thule awning fix and now the awning cannot be deployed whilst driving. Morelo described the fix to me as I was curious to know: it is an incredibly simple solution - the insertion of a replacement motor drive sprocket (at the point where it joins the awning tube) with a newly designed one with a locking pin through the centre securing the sprocket drive to the awning tube which, rather than the former compression fit to the tube (which could wear lose and allow the awning tube to rotate freely and spool out the awning cassette) is now a physical retention pin, thus a secured fit (I hope that makes sense)?

I did mean to post this before now but was reminded yesterday when I received the recall info in the post.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
A very simple image to demonstrate the drive sprocket with a securing pin that retains the awning tube inserted through the centre of the drive sprocket (this is a stock image of a sprocket and NOT the Thule sprocket fitted). Apologies for my art-work, I am rubbish at drawing!

695_simplex_taper_sprocket.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Is there a chance that someone who’s had the upgrade/security kit fitted would be kind enough to post an image.
I’m miles and months away from going anywhere near Southdowns and it appears to be a pretty simple fix.
Thanks.
I have had the repair done already but it's deep inside the motor assembly and thus behind the protective cover. Read my description in this thread to (try) to understand the fix. I don't think it's a DIY job though, so a visit to the stealer will be necessary.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I posted recently about our Morelo Palace going back to Morelo for servicing in September.

Whilst there I was advised of this issue and have to admit, although they told me this info was available on the internet, I hadn't seen or heard of it. I must admit I was a little scared to hear the potential outcome of this component failure.

Luckily for us, whilst our MH was there, Thule staff arrived at the Morelo factory and asked to check our awning and if it was one of the affected one's, to replace the defective part with the new solution.

When we went to collect the MH a month after leaving it there, we were told that ours was the first one to receive the Thule awning fix and now the awning cannot be deployed whilst driving. Morelo described the fix to me as I was curious to know: it is an incredibly simple solution - the insertion of a replacement motor drive sprocket (at the point where it joins the awning tube) with a newly designed one with a locking pin through the centre securing the sprocket drive to the awning tube which, rather than the former compression fit to the tube (which could wear lose and allow the awning tube to rotate freely and spool out the awning cassette) is now a physical retention pin, thus a secured fit (I hope that makes sense)?

I did mean to post this before now but was reminded yesterday when I received the recall info in the post.
Hi Peter

Good that you are sorted (y) at the NEC show friends of ours were told that the problem occurred when motors were retrofitted and were not fitted properly allowing the drive to come loose, wether or not this is actually true I could not say but it sounded plausible at the time, of course Thule have to take this seriously and replace/repair all possibly affected equipment.

Martin

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thule did mention retro fits in their info but it’s not just those that are affected.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Peter

Good that you are sorted (y) at the NEC show friends of ours were told that the problem occurred when motors were retrofitted and were not fitted properly allowing the drive to come loose, wether or not this is actually true I could not say but it sounded plausible at the time, of course Thule have to take this seriously and replace/repair all possibly affected equipment.

Martin
I get the impression that the use of a motor drive is always supplementary to the awning; meaning the awnings are all manual but can be upgraded to a motor drive unit. Thus Morelo (in our case) would have done the upgrade by fitting the motor at the factory.

Of course, I could be way off here.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I’m sure mine will need altered but I can’t find the serial number sticker on my to 8000 , it’s not where it’s shown in the picture , any ideas?

92D8AF24-0094-4919-822A-3278DA44D225.png
D65A0D6A-6B2F-4AF4-A6F3-2AB7ACFBA1F9.png

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It is on the inside of the awning bar at the end shown and it is a self adhesive sticker. You have to extend the awning and look from the inside if I am explaining it well enough? It depends on the year of build of your van and they quote the dates. If yours falls into that bracket then very likely needs checking. If you are still unsure ask your manufacturer they will have a record of the serial numbers of all OEM stuff on your van, well they should.
Michael

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A very simple image to demonstrate the drive sprocket with a securing pin that retains the awning tube inserted through the centre of the drive sprocket (this is a stock image of a sprocket and NOT the Thule sprocket fitted). Apologies for my art-work, I am rubbish at drawing!

View attachment 341478

Wow that takes me back to my plant fitting days Peter, the sprocket you show there needs a tapered insert to go with it, the internal taper will also have a keyway to the shaft it is designed for, the two half threaded sections at 3 and 9 o'clock are used to pull the taper tight into the sprocket and grip the shaft, the unthreaded one at 6 o'clock has a thread in the insert and is used to push the insert out again for removal.

Slightly off-topic though "Sorry"

Martin

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
It is on the inside of the awning bar at the end shown and it is a self adhesive sticker. You have to extend the awning and look from the inside if I am explaining it well enough? It depends on the year of build of your van and they quote the dates. If yours falls into that bracket then very likely needs checking. If you are still unsure ask your manufacturer they will have a record of the serial numbers of all OEM stuff on your van, well they should.
Michael

if you look closely you can see the sticker on the second picture which is where I think the first picture is showing me to look , are you saying that’s where it should be ?

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I just wondered if anyone had 1st hand experience of it happening or anyone who has had the fix completed and what exactly was involved ?
I do.

Ours was the first to modified by Thule engineers working at the Morelo factory in Germany back in late September (so I was told by Morelo Service techs).

I was told that the repair involves the insertion of a locking pin through the motor drive wheel (sprocket) to secure the tubular section to the motor. I believe it is a 'force or compression fit' at present.

The failures involved the seperation of the long tubular section carrying the awning fabric from the motor drive which in the worst case can result in the awning spooling out fully without warning (possibly whilst driving). Therefore, visual inspection of the rear of the motor (as shown in another thread here) doesn't reveal the casue of the problem as is no indictaion that everything is fine.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have just had mine done last week. I can confirm that it is indeed part c (in my previous post) that Thule have redesigned. Before, this part was simply clicked into place and the motor pushed into the awning. I was advised that on 2 occasions (both in Germany) the sprocket had come away from the motor whilst driving along the motorway and had caused considerable damage to the motorhomes and cars on the road! I can only imagine what it must have been like driving on the motorway and suddenly that awning opening and acting like a massive sail!

Anyway it has been redesigned and now is held in place also by a metal rod which goes through the sprocket and also the motor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back