Thule Omnister Awning Problem (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi folks wonder if you can help with this. Bought Burstner Elegance complete with above awning in August 2013, first used in France last June for 2 weeks no problems and again in France last August. first week didn't put it up at all weather blustery exposed site, completely paranoid about it lifting and damaging itself and the motorhome.
At purchase we had asked if we needed any extra kit to help its stability, we purchased the tie down kit and screw in ground pegs we used these whenever we had the awning out. Second week of holiday new camp checked everyone around us ..... Yes awnings all out ...... Followed suit but kept checking weather forecast and looking at everyone else ... Yes they still had the awnings out etc etc. middle of the night a storm ... dashed out dropped the legs further made sure water running off supervised a bit no problems back to bed no damage.
Few days later another sudden storm ... crash arm buckled husband tied awning leg to a tree. Next day looked on line and found replacement arm advertised for about £200. Managed to wind awning back in. We then had to dash home because my mum had a heart attack ...... A couple of months later we took the MH in for repair and were told that We should replace the whole awning because there was probably damage to the back plate and basically they wouldn't guarantee its safety. Our MH dealer suggested we claim on our insurance.
After some discussion we think if we replace the awning with the same awning we will be always thinking that we daren't use it. We look around and decide that the dometic electric awning might be best because it will automatically take itself in if it gets windy. We leave this idea with our dealer to get a price etc. the dealer comes back that it will probably cause damage to the MH to swap to a different smaller awning with different fixing brackets.Has anyone had a similar experience, what would you do. Can you suggest anyone who might be more confident about a cheaper repair or change of awning.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Did you have storm straps fitted to it?

I would stick with Omnistor as opposed to Fiamma because the storm strap fittings are better ( my opinion only).

It's not tying down the legs that is important, it's the whole thing.

Our Omnistor has been out in very heavy storms.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The mounting plate should be as long as the awning.
Mine is a 4.5metre 8000 series with 230 volt remote control and no problems at all.
I too regard Omnistor as the better product.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The mounting plate should be as long as the awning.
Mine is a 4.5metre 8000 series with 230 volt remote control and no problems at all.
I too regard Omnistor as the better product.

I didn't realise I could have a remote control for this awning will look at that ..... Suppose we will just have to wind it away whenever we go out or go to bed .... A bit of a pain really.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I took those springs off my straps.

Don't know if I was right to do it though.

Not sure I can help- ours is ok after some horrendous wind.

By the way I think the things that go in the ground should be at the opposite angle than in your pic.

They look like they will pull straight out if it's windy.

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I took those springs off my straps.

Don't know if I was right to do it though.

Not sure I can help- ours is ok after some horrendous wind.

By the way I think the things that go in the ground should be at the opposite angle than in your pic.

They look like they will pull straight out if it's windy.

Oh dear I obviously aren't too good at playing spot the difference!

Anyone got any thoughts on the "warped back plate" we did wind it back Ok, would you just try replacing the arm, or do you think it will be unsafe. Dealer seemed intent on getting us to make an insurance claim.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
one thing to remember is the awning is just a big sail and it will hold an awful lot of air.
retracting an awning that size isn`t an easy task or as simple as just winding it back in, even if you nearly had it all back in it can still catch the wind, so best you practice with someone holding it until you are satisfied that it`ll be safe.

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We were in the Dordogne, there was no wind forecast but it seems sudden storms can just blow up.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Anyone got any thoughts on the "warped back plate" we did wind it back Ok,

Did it all wind back into the cassette OK.. (Like Normal..)

If it did I would just check on the roof for square`ness or distortion, and if it looks OK I would just replace the damaged arm.. (y)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi folks wonder if you can help with this. Bought Burstner Elegance complete with above awning in August 2013, first used in France last June for 2 weeks no problems and again in France last August. first week didn't put it up at all weather blustery exposed site, completely paranoid about it lifting and damaging itself and the motorhome.
At purchase we had asked if we needed any extra kit to help its stability, we purchased the tie down kit and screw in ground pegs we used these whenever we had the awning out. Second week of holiday new camp checked everyone around us ..... Yes awnings all out ...... Followed suit but kept checking weather forecast and looking at everyone else ... Yes they still had the awnings out etc etc. middle of the night a storm ... dashed out dropped the legs further made sure water running off supervised a bit no problems back to bed no damage.
Few days later another sudden storm ... crash arm buckled husband tied awning leg to a tree. Next day looked on line and found replacement arm advertised for about £200. Managed to wind awning back in. We then had to dash home because my mum had a heart attack ...... A couple of months later we took the MH in for repair and were told that We should replace the whole awning because there was probably damage to the back plate and basically they wouldn't guarantee its safety. Our MH dealer suggested we claim on our insurance.
After some discussion we think if we replace the awning with the same awning we will be always thinking that we daren't use it. We look around and decide that the dometic electric awning might be best because it will automatically take itself in if it gets windy. We leave this idea with our dealer to get a price etc. the dealer comes back that it will probably cause damage to the MH to swap to a different smaller awning with different fixing brackets.Has anyone had a similar experience, what would you do. Can you suggest anyone who might be more confident about a cheaper repair or change of awning.

View attachment 57591View attachment 57592View attachment 57593
Just out if interest, which dealer are you using?
I'm in Yorks too and struggled for a Thule/Omnistor obtaining parts - having to wait weeks for them to get a part and then I'm doing the chasing.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Anyone got any thoughts on the "warped back plate" we did wind it back Ok, would you just try replacing the arm, or do you think it will be unsafe. Dealer seemed intent on getting us to make an insurance claim.

I would buy a new arm, but think £200 sounds a lot, at least if you do end up changing and stick with another Omnistor if you can retain the new leg as a spare, I can't see how the back plate can be distorted, you would have a crease on the side of the MH

I await further information on the electrickery options, remember though they are mains only, not sure if an inverter would cope or if you still have a manual option

edit = Mo said same thing better and quicker while I 2 finger typed :D

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I can't advise you sorry . I am an idiot at practical stuff.

With our pegs though I drive them into the ground at an angle so that the storm strap attachment or hook is facing the opposite direction to the van, link it up and then pull it tight. Your pegs seem to be facing the van.

I am an idiot though.

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just out if interest, which dealer are you using?
I'm in Yorks too and struggled for a Thule/Omnistor obtaining parts - having to wait weeks for them to get a part and then I'm doing the chasing.

We use Emmbee at Bury they have been ok to be honest replacing the Alloys on the MH that we hadn't noticed were pitting.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I await further information on the electrickery options, remember though they are mains only, not sure if an inverter would cope

Inverter copes OK..... don`t think they are a huge motor.. (y)

But as said some thing else to go wrong.. :(

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Did it all wind back into the cassette OK.. (Like Normal..)

If it did I would just check on the roof for square`ness or distortion, and if it looks OK I would just replace the damaged arm.. (y)
Yes it wound back fine think we just had to help the bent arm. In our minds we hadn't thought it was a major crisis thats why we left dealing with it.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
As long as you can hear the clunk of the locking mechanism engage... I would just go for a new arm...

I have not looked... but have a look on E,bay... there may be one for sale.. (y)

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think we will wait for a calm day have a look around as you suggest Mo then maybe wind it out again ...... We will probably buy the arm first and get a couple of our sons round with step ladders and tools!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Granjan, we suffered the same damage in Germany two years ago to our Omnistor 5500. The damage was extensive with a broken front leg, a distorted extending arm, and torn PVC. :cry:

Having removed the damaged parts and secured the front frame into it's box, I then called the factory in Mennen, and arranged an appointment for a repair, before returning home. They were absolutely great and very accommodating. They charged us for "some parts" ;) but not for labour.
The service is excellent. (y) Ours was not under warranty at the time.

Perhaps you could incorporate a factory visit with a trip to Ypers, 20 minutes away. :)

Good luck.

Jock.

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Granjan, we suffered the same damage in Germany two years ago to our Omnistor 5500. The damage was extensive with a broken front leg, a distorted extending arm, and torn PVC. :cry:

Having removed the damaged parts and secured the front frame into it's box, I then called the factory in Mennen, and arranged an appointment for a repair, before returning home. They were absolutely great and very accommodating. They charged us for "some parts" ;) but not for labour.
The service is excellent. (y) Ours was not under warranty at the time.

Perhaps you could incorporate a factory visit with a trip to Ypers, 20 minutes away. :)

Good luck.

Jock.

Thanks for that Jock I will chat to David when he wakes up ... See if we can contact the factory and organise what we need, think we only broke the arm so not quite as bad as yours ... husband thought we would need tie wraps to secure it all back in the housing at the time but it seemed to return to the case Ok. Not sure our dealer has even had it out again.

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We fancied swapping for one of these really it would have been lovely lying in bed hearing it wind back in and know we didn't have to get out of bed!

upload_2015-3-25_6-55-0.jpeg▶ 3:35
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ep4j8tKIU
5 Aug 2011 - Uploaded by Dometic WAECO
This new motorhome awning eclipses its competitors by doing away with inconvenient support ...

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I have a 15 yr old van with an original Omnistor awning fitted.
Last year it suddenly decided it wouldn't wind in,the gear was jumping and I could only wind it in if Andrea kind of pushed it in the centre.
I went to my local dealer in France and he said it wasn't worth repairing.A new one was €450+€50 fitted.I took that option.
I have always used a storm strap but normally put it in if any chance of bad weather,having said that have sat watching the wind tugging at it with the straps on and it seems pretty sturdy.

For the price and complication of an electronic one,I would replace it and just be vigilant.More money for wine!! :wine:

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had a fruitful morning up early and took motorhome to Craig Burley at Milnsbridge Huddersfield, cbcaravanservicing.co.uk on arrival we couldn't get the motorhome in his unit because his door had jammed half shut that morning! So instead of leaving the motorhome with him and tootling down the road for a fullish english we ended up supporting and holding down the awning whilst he changed the broken arm in the road. Not the best morning for this just like a wind tunnel :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:absolutly freezing cold and we had visions of paraglyding.
But 15 mins later the arm is replaced, the awning is not quite clicking into base at the opposite end but Craig thinks if we extend it fully when it is calm it will straighten the canvas and return fully ....if not a new front plate. So far £280 including new arm. No apparent damage to anything else, backplate looks fine.
Craig seemed to know exactly what he was doing and said he could get all Thule spares so thats great to know. Really looking forward to france now :france::wine:we will be remembering its just a sun shade from now on.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have the same Omnistor awning on a Burstner Elegance.
When we put it out I have two ratchet straps similar to the OPs and then I have a Fiamma strap which goes end to end.
I always wind it in at night but leave the pegs in the ground so that its a two minute job to tie it down when I wind it out the next day.
However on a coupl of occasions the wind got up so quickly I didn't have time to wind it in and was too strong to risk taking the straps off to wind it in. I have to admit I was bricking it but fortunately the straps held it firm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back