Thule Omnistep Dropdown 12v Electric 550 - not descending fully (1 Viewer)

Jun 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessaccar
Exp
Hi - my electric Thule step is not descending all the way. It does about 80% of the journey and then seems to lose the will to go the full way where it would "lock" unto the down position. It's not super enthusiastic about going up either, sometimes needing a little push to get there. I have connected up to the mains to make sure I am well powered - the result is the same - does not seem to be a battery charge issue.

I have also tried a bit of WD40 on the moving parts - no change.
Bessaccar Motorhome and step about 7 years old and lightly used.
Is it likely that the motor has worn out a bit but not fully? should I be looking at a new motor or a new step? Looks like the step is about £250 plus fitting. Maybe I should just buy one of those £12 plastic steps?
On a like for like basis, I should be able to change it myself – but I am wary of the electrics – its not just to power, there is a switch and also it is linked to the ignition somehow as it automatically retracts when the engine starts.
I don’t want to start a job I cant finish!

Any thoughts on repair / replacement / workaround?

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Others may step in, but I believe wd40 is a water-repellent and not much of a lubricant. When my step gets hesitant I've had better luck cleaning any road crud off with a scrubbing brush and hot soapy water, then using PTFE spray or Thetford toilet seal lube on all the pivots and moving bits.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Sometimes the motor spindle can become tight though road muck and a bit of corrosion our did this it was a simple strip and clean the shaft be careful as plastics do not like oil.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
On my Autotrail whenever I had issues with the step it was the leisure battery being a bit low. Mainly happened in the winter after it had stood s while. Once charged all was fine.
As others said, WD40 is not advised..
Charge battery and try a good clean before spending cash 👍

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi
Not sure if the mechanism is the same or similar to my slide out Omnistep, but if you decide to strip to clean and lube, do be careful. When the motor is energised make sure your fingers are nowhere near the mechanism, it will have them off just like a guillotine.
Geoff

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Our step did just that in our previous motorhome, 2011 Swift Bessacarr E450, at the same time we had a fault with the water level telling us it was empty when it wasn’t. I completely stripped the step and found it to be like new, no faults. It turned out to the Sargent control box, a quite common fault on that age Swift. I had to remove the Sargent box and send it to Sargent for repair which was quite reasonable, £75 plus postage.
Not saying this applies to your problem but worth considering. You may not even have a Sargent box.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Our step did just that in our previous motorhome, 2011 Swift Bessacarr E450, at the same time we had a fault with the water level telling us it was empty when it wasn’t. I completely stripped the step and found it to be like new, no faults. It turned out to the Sargent control box, a quite common fault on that age Swift. I had to remove the Sargent box and send it to Sargent for repair which was quite reasonable, £75 plus postage.
Not saying this applies to your problem but worth considering. You may not even have a Sargent box.
I agree with that as we had the same problem with our 2010 Autocruise on the last day of the 3yr warranty and Sargent sent me a replacement unit foc the following day.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
At the step itself there are only 3 wires to disconnect: 2 to the motor and 1 to the " microswitch" (it's the same as an old fashioned door light switch). You can easily remove the whole assembly from the van so you can work on it in comfort. Any spares you might need are readily available.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Seem to be a couple step thread running..
May be helpful to read the replies to the other one..
Andy

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Just remembered on some Sargent systems there was a problem with a defective poly-fuse in the PSU that had something to do with the step not working correctly, if I remember correctly Jaws flagged it up.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Not sure which PSU you have fitted, but if it is a Sargent unit it probably has a 'Step Run Time' facility.
This can be adjusted in the advanced settings menu and for double steps is usually set for a longer 'run' time.
If you are not sure how to access the advanced settings, just come back and I will talk you through it.
Geoff

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Sargent are the company that supply many manufacturers with electronic equipment, such as Battery chargers, control panels and power supply modules etc.
If you locate the main power supply box it will clearly state who made it.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
This is probably no help, but I'd be looking to try a (temporary) direct supply to the step power input - from the leisure battery or a spare battery. If that gives it a burst of enthusiasm then the problem is in the supply - the relay, fuse or wiring. If it's just as unenthusiastic as before, then at least you know it's the step not the supply.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Just remembered on some Sargent systems there was a problem with a defective poly-fuse in the PSU that had something to do with the step not working correctly, if I remember correctly Jaws flagged it up.
I have just put in resources the guide for replacing the poly fuse that can effect step operation, it's normally only on Sargent EC4xx and EC500 units between 2010-2011

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail arapaho SE
This is probably no help, but I'd be looking to try a (temporary) direct supply to the step power input - from the leisure battery or a spare battery. If that gives it a burst of enthusiasm then the problem is in the supply - the relay, fuse or wiring. If it's just as unenthusiastic as before, then at least you know it's the step not the supply

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail arapaho SE
Hi I have already taken the step off and tried it on a battery and its fine I just don't know where the relay or power comes from the wires for the step are all under the fridge then dissappear up behind it

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I just don't know where the relay or power comes from the wires for the step are all under the fridge then dissappear up behind it
As Diabalo says, the relay will be powered from the distribution/fuse box. Inside the box are several relays which control various things - split charge relay, fridge, habitation, step, awning light etc. These boxes are all similar but have some differences, so it would help to know exactly which model you have

Upvote 1
OP
OP
R
Jun 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessaccar
Exp
Final Update.
After putting it off for a few months i decided to have a look at the motor. Hard to remove on my step due to the guard bracket surrounding the step assembly and stoping access from my tools. So took the lot off and removed the motor and took it apart. as quite a few others have experienced - STRIPPED GEARS as shown in previos pictures from Diabolo.
The gears cant be replaced so had to buy a new motor from ebay and connect up in the same way.
Motor retails at >£200 from Thule dealers. so £60 quid felt cheap. Any guesses what this would have cost if i had put it in the motorhome dealer to be sorted?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back