Thule Electric Step issue. Retract been odd. (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
My retractable step is having issues.

It comes out fine and is ok to step on but when it retracts at the last inch or so it basically has a vibrating sh*t fit for a second or two.

It then stops and stays in place but if I then start the engine I get the warning tone that the step is not retracted. I can silence it thankfully but have to go into the hab area to do it which is not ideal.

I imagine its a gearing issue within the unit but thought I would ask here first incase anyone has first hand experience of this before I go to a dealers to through money at it.

Happy to tear into the unit with my tools myself. Just nice if anyone can point me first.
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 21.31.32.png

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Sounds like it might be a jamming on something..
The good news is its easy enough to get at the motor and linkages
Is it just a manually switched step or does it close on ignition or engine run ?
If it does then the motor will be trying to close all the time when travelling but that would most probably have taken a fuse out..
If you disconect the motor and drive you should be able to check for tight links...
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Sounds like it might be a jamming on something..
The good news is its easy enough to get at the motor and linkages
Is it just a manually switched step or does it close on ignition or engine run ?
If it does then the motor will be trying to close all the time when travelling but that would most probably have taken a fuse out..
If you disconect the motor and drive you should be able to check for tight links...
Andy.

Its a bit of both. It opens when I unlock the van and retracts when I lock it or start the ignition. Its definitely not permanently trying to close. Just a little sh*t fit for a second then it gives up.

When I get the tone after engine start saying its not closed that's just caused by a micro switch not depressed as I can push the step closed with my hand the extra inch needed and it stops the tone but if I release pressure on the step it falls forward an inch again setting off the tone. Only way to since it to drive is to press the power button in the hab area that turns on/off the main power to the hab. This kills the tone until the next time I start the van again.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Nice one.. a picture paints a thousand words..(y)
If the buzzer is continually sounding then the step is not retracting fully or the buzzer switch is not positioned correctly...
Its easy enough to remove the motor and drive linkage so id do that to check them..
If the motor isnt trying to run then the switching control is happy the step is fully retracted... is that a function on the control panel...
On the steps im familar with the switch that controls the buzzer also switches the power off to the motor when the step retracts...that doesnt appear to be the case with you if the motor isnt running with the buzzer sounding....
Hopefull someone else will have a clue...
Andy...

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
On our previous motorhome we had a similar problem. We removed the cover from the drive mechanism and the micro switch and thoroughly sprayed the lot with silicone lubricant. It fixed our problem.

May be worth a try.

MarkP

Free Member
Jul 4, 2018
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Elddis
Exp
1 year
Just found this thread, I'm having a similar problem except when extending the step it doesn't extend the last inch or so and when retracting the step (after use) the motor won't pull it up the initial inch or so and I have to give it a little help with my toe before the motor takes over.
The good thing its when I try to drive off the step makes a right racket trying to retract itself, so the toe is needed again.
As previous posts state I'll prob take the cover off and give it a grease but anyone else had this prob and found a fix????

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So I too the cover off mine and turned out it had teeth missing

I contacted Thule and its a discontinued part! All they could offer was a whole motor set up for about £200 with new metal cogs.

I declined and currently use a £5 caravan step that I leave just inside the door.

However when I feel over fluid with cash this summer I plan to buy a whole new step unit from eBay for £250. Its a lot and more than just the motor but at least it all comes as one unit and unbolts and bolt on the new one and plug in.

I did recently look to have new gears 3D printed but the company I found quoted £270 for it... And who knows how long they would last anyway even if it ws a better price.

The way you describe yours sounds exactly like mine was.

thumbnail_IMG_0208.jpg

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We have the same problem , I removed the motor and found stripped gears, you can only buy a new motor from thule and the drive shaft is splined not square drive, ans a new shaft should be included in the kit.
If your motor is an Autotrail it could be the polymer EM fuse in causing the problem.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
replacement motor and gears £79 om ebay

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The gears in his photo are also knackered so I assume it’s just the motor he’s selling in that one
in the description
why change the gears/gogs at the price of more than the motor
when you have a new complete Electric motor with gears ready to go

MarkP

Free Member
Jul 4, 2018
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Elddis
Exp
1 year
If your motor is an Autotrail it could be the polymer EM fuse in causing the problem.

All - thanks for the replies, I assumed it was likely a worn cog (thanks to an episode of Wheeler Dealers!) but didnt expect a replacement to be so difficult to obtain.

What is a polymer EM fuse please?? Wont hurt to look at all possibilities...

MarkP

Free Member
Jul 4, 2018
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Elddis
Exp
1 year
Cheers Spanner, I'll get a look at it tomorrow hopefully.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No, just Googled them, loads of companies that make custom gears but they said they would reverse engineer your part.
I think you have to send your part, worth a try, I'd spend a few bob and send it registered to make sure it doesn't get lost.

MarkP

Free Member
Jul 4, 2018
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Elddis
Exp
1 year
The first thing that became apparent to me after buying our first ever moho 2years ago was that everything on it seemed built not to last. Ah well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The first thing that became apparent to me after buying our first ever moho 2years ago was that everything on it seemed built not to last. Ah well.
Like most products these days built to last the length of the warranty, 2 years in the case of a Motorome, then you throw it away and buy a new one.:eek:

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Not yet. I am looking to get a whole new step at a cost of £250. Currently using my plastic caravan step until I decide I have the spare funds that I don't want to spend on something else

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back