Thule bike racks (Folding versus Non Folding) - which is best value ? (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Any feedback on "folding" versus "non folding" tow bar cycle (x2) racks (I know one folds and other doesn't ).

Particularly interested in thoughts on the folding ones if they are any good, given the price - understand storage is the biggest benefit, but appreciate any comments.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Unfortunately I can’t comment on the “folding” type but we have used a tow-bar attached Thule that tilts in order to allow hatchbacks to open on our cars. We use ours on the car.

We experience no problems at all with that. 80mph on Autoroutes etc and the rack is rock solid. No movement of bikes and easy to load as it is at low level unlike the one on our motorhome which is mounted high. That rack is also first class.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I have the Thule easyfold for two bikes. It’s a great rack, locks onto tow hitch, you can lock bikes on, tilts to get in back of car or van if using on a PVC, and folds up like a suit case for easy storage. Have had two 25 kilo mountain bikes on it and tilted with no problems. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JohnZeus

Free Member
May 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
IH N-Class 630RL
Exp
Since 2018
Just bought a folding version off Ebay a Buzz Rack Folding type (slightly older model of the Eazzy-4) after borrowing a friends non folding previously. At £79 I think it was a bargain, just got to keep looking I suppose. Thule racks just seem so expensive and I can't say that this they were any better quality or better construction than this one, so +1 for Buzzrack at the right price I suppose.
I think folding vs Non is definitely about the space when storing as it's just so much smaller when folded. Mine is to carry 4 bikes so neither were light items and I don't notice a big difference in weight between the two although I know the folding one is slightly heavier by spec.

s-l1600.jpg

That's not my reg by the way, previous owners before I bought it.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Minor point that probably won't affect many people. Mountain bikes (and especially e-MTBs) have grown in length, tyre width and handlebar width in the past few years. My current mountain bike is very difficult to put on the rack because the 2.6" tyres don't fit in the rails, it hangs off both ends and the 820mm wide bars interfere with everything. They are brilliant fun out on the trails, but a pain to transport.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've got a couple of chunky eMTBs that load on our fixed Thule rack...they overhang the dimensions of our Citreon.....I imagine a folder to be a little short on the wheelbase of our bikes...but have no problems being advised differently...
🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
I have a Thule folding rack, no problems with it at all I carry two bikes on it and works great and like you say easy storage I can take it off fold up and put in MH garage whilst on site

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back