Thule Awning winder jamming (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Thule have changed the simple hook end on winder to an inserted T arrangement so it looks more streamlined I assume.
My awning winds in and out fine but I cannot remove winder from gearbox without loads of Jiggling pulling, pushing and swearing.
Does anyone have similar issues and will removing gearbox cover enable me to sort this issue out.
Very frustrating as I can see the day I will have to drive home with the winder hanging from the Van.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
there is a real knack to it that Rose Awnings showed me, I mostly get it first time now but not every time

you do need to sort of push it up first then turn (y)

John Rose has told me has folk turn up with them gaffer taped to the side of MH when they cant get them out, one even came from south of France like that, you are not on your own :)(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Isn't the hook a Fiamma thing? As far as l remember Thule / Omnistor have always had the T?

I had the same problem removing mine. The technique appears to be to make sure the rod is directly in line with the socket, push up, then turn CW, then pull down. The most critical part is keeping the rod in line.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pontyboy
Oct 9, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20 yrs on and off
I feel better knowing it's just not me who struggles.
I will follow your advice and take more care re alignment etc. I hope that's the answer.
I have emailed Thule so will be interesting what they have to say.
Thanks for the advice.
Roy

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you do need to push up before you twist anti clockwise if you see the collar turning then it hasnt disengaged sometimes it helps if you can hold the collar with a screwdriver while you try

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Peter is so right, just been doing a hand over with Bev who is borrowing my MH next weekend :)

The T piece I think is still as always was as mentioned Fiamma I think have the hook connector

C782A44E-2BFF-4FB8-B38F-39193E1C4F11.jpeg

So back to tutorial with Bev, she wanted to check she knows how the awning comes out so I let her do it while I monitored

Bev couldn’t get the pole in let alone out

I have now realised that I always stand to the right of the winder fitting, effectively under the awning as it comes out. Bev was trying from the left which may have hindered

We now have it in and start to unwind, luckily it did as we have been warned what often does particularly on the longer awnings. The far end didn’t come out of the case. Wound it in again and restarted still the same but good old third time lucky out it popped

But then again we spotted as we had been warned if the release isn’t clean it will then not come out square which it didn’t. So did as told wound back to case, not right home , just up to it, the go again all now straight and correct :)(y)

Also got the tie down kit to see how that works, due to Bev’s involvement I read the rules and was very surprised to see they suggest pegging it square to the leg rather than the 45degree option I would have used

Clever fittings connect to leg then a sprung loaded strap connects to a reasonably meaty spike

EB6B4F6D-1569-47EE-A90F-EFF58F17E863.jpeg

192FAA60-352B-4753-B9BF-175015A9E1A6.jpeg

Back to pole removal (which already sounds a little oe’er vicar and worse spell chucker changes pole to poke :LOL:

If not at the right angle which is probably greater than you think it does not come out easily, I have also noticed that on mine the fixings for the end piece oppose the adaptor, so when turned across the opening the pole will release

0465A1DE-C395-4BCB-8C0A-861F1D2D03C4.jpeg

As above it will never come out, at least means you can leave while doing other things and it won’t drop out (y)

Lift out to nearly 45 degrees which is actually in line with the fitting,

turn till in line with slot and out it pops, I can now do it one handed :)(y)

43730BD0-34B5-4CAE-B7A6-C7C42984A8B3.jpeg

Hope this helps (y)

Attachments

• 5134D4F6-2DC3-4D58-B8F7-D3694ED70E67.jpeg
    5134D4F6-2DC3-4D58-B8F7-D3694ED70E67.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Well despite all the good advice on here I still struggle but Janet (wife) gets it first time every time. I just don't get it.

Jun 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC 680
I've had four Omistor awnings since 1994 and sometimes had a few issues removing the winding handle, I've a 2021 and after following all the instruction it's impossible to remove the winding handle, I have to open out the awning remove the handle, reinsert the handle so the pins just catch the slot and carefully rewind. A poor arrangement for a expensive equipment.

Sep 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
AVAN
Well despite all the good advice on here I still struggle but Janet (wife) gets it first time every time. I just don't get it.
Same with me. My wife jags it every time but can't explain in plain language what she did.

OP
OP
Pontyboy
Oct 9, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20 yrs on and off
It is not a user friendly device, my wife still applauds when I detach the winder without expletives.
The answer seems to be insert winder FULLY, turn in receiver until you feel resistance then pull down before completing the winding proceedure, on completion,PUSH UP before returning winder to original position, winder should then be removed easily.
Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back