Thule Awning Leg Thingamjigs..... (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Hi - our van came with a Thule Omnister awning fitted and a little bag containing two fittings which can be mounted on the side of the van so that the awning legs can be attached to the van rather the ground.

As the van is a panel van conversion, and I can get to the back of where the fixings would need to go, I should be able to get a very firm fixing on the van with stainless M6 bolts and penny washers on the reverse side, and I was also planning to protect the paint work around the fixing using Heli-tape. But before I get out the drill and start punching holes in my nice shiny van I thought I see if anyone had any thoughts on how good / sensible it is to set up an awning in this way.
Just be sure that you can fully open your sliding door when they are attached.
I discounted this idea in my Renault Trafic conversion for this very reason.

Graydo

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
You can purchase roof brackets to fit them from Agent Fiamma ! then your sliding door will open.
Use rivnuts to fit too the roof,silicone c/w rubber washers inside and out will prevent any leaks! did it on my last Mercedes van conversion!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi did you somehow tie the feet into the suction clamp or is it just wedged in and if so was the weight of the legs enough tp hold it in. Cant quite see from the photo. Just ordered an awning for our Globecar like that idea especially with the dog moving about outside. ?
Thanks.
I cut down some old bicycle inner tube which I slotted on the existing feet of the awning legs before I put them in the holders, this was to ensure that if the feet accidentally touched the side of the camper they wouldn't scratch the paintwork but also to help 'wedge' them into the loops on the clamps. In addition I also used some really long and strong flat elastic 'bungee' straps which hooked over the top swivel of the awning legs and went onto a fixing under the camper (chassis loop etc), this ensured that the awning couldn't be lifted and with the legs 'locked' as normal they couldn't shorten either. All in all it was a very secure method of securing the awning.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
I cut down some old bicycle inner tube which I slotted on the existing feet of the awning legs before I put them in the holders, this was to ensure that if the feet accidentally touched the side of the camper they wouldn't scratch the paintwork but also to help 'wedge' them into the loops on the clamps. In addition I also used some really long and strong flat elastic 'bungee' straps which hooked over the top swivel of the awning legs and went onto a fixing under the camper (chassis loop etc), this ensured that the awning couldn't be lifted and with the legs 'locked' as normal they couldn't shorten either. All in all it was a very secure method of securing the awning.
Thanks for that Mel sounds good ordered the suction clamps today and will give it a try once i get the awning on the van. (y)(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for that Mel sounds good ordered the suction clamps today and will give it a try once i get the awning on the van. (y)(y)
This is what I did before I bought the suckers:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Pinched some ideas from this thread thanks and made these for the grand price of £11.49 which I paid for the aluminium dual suction lifter.

I already had the wall brackets from my awning fittings so never had to purchase them and a couple of hours work.

Just need to try them now ?

IMG_20200505_175723.jpg

IMG_20200505_174408.jpg

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Pinched some ideas from this thread thanks and made these for the grand price of £11.49 which I paid for the aluminium dual suction lifter.

I already had the wall brackets from my awning fittings so never had to purchase them and a couple of hours work.

Just need to try them now ?

I shamelessly copied your idea yesterday!

Total cost £11.50 as I also had the plastic brackets that came with the awning.

Not quite as neat a cut as yours - no power cutting tools available, just a hack saw and file to tidy up and then drilled a small starter hole for the self taper screws to go in.

Took about an hour or so.

Picture heavy build thread below ...

Sucker.jpg

sucker 3.jpg

sucker 5.jpg

sucker 7.jpg

on van - 3.jpg

on van - 2.jpg

on van - 1.jpg

IMG_6137.JPG

Attachments

• sucker 4.jpg
    sucker 4.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 14
  • sucker 2.jpg
    sucker 2.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 16

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I shamelessly copied your idea yesterday!

Total cost £11.50 as I also had the plastic brackets that came with the awning.

Not quite as neat a cut as yours - no power cutting tools available, just a hack saw and file to tidy up and then drilled a small starter hole for the self taper screws to go in.

Took about an hour or so.

Picture heavy build thread below ...

View attachment 604539
View attachment 604541
View attachment 604543
View attachment 604544
View attachment 604545
View attachment 604546
View attachment 604547
View attachment 604549
Hey I have a copyright on that method 😂

Cracking job 👍🏻