Through France to Spain ? not likely (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Lidl UK: 3 peppers = £0.89; 2 little gem lettuces = £0.45
Lidl ES: 3 peppers = €1.89; 2 little gem lettuces = €0.95

Where is this produce grown?

You KNOW!

We didn't find Spain CHEAP, especially compared to 10y ago: even the wines were €6 per bottle or more, for a "reasonable" Rioja - Gordon

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
What!!!!!.......where was that, in our local boulangerie we can get a superb 400g boule for €1.40, a superb 200g bageute traditional or campagne for €1.05
Supermarket baguettes generally around 35-40 cents, more for a baguette tradition. I think fresh milk is more readily available in supermarkets & hypermarkets than it ever was - 10 years ago asking for lait frais just got a puzzled shrug loads of places! No chance of fully skimmed though.
Diesel prices are another matter!

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Lidl in Spain for fresh veg, what’s wrong with the local market where they’re almost giving away the tastiest fresh veg you’ll ever eat !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Lidl in Spain for fresh veg, what’s wrong with the local market where they’re almost giving away the tastiest fresh veg you’ll ever eat !

Not in any French markets that I have ever been on:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
diesel dearer than here
I was surprised at the Price in France but thinking about it it's actually still cheaper.
Best I managed in France was 1,43€ / litre which =£1,24
Best I have got here is £1,28.9 = 1,48€ still cheaper in France. Even cheaper in Spain.(y)
We didn't find Spain CHEAP, especially compared to 10y ago: even the wines were €6 per bottle or more, for a "reasonable" Rioja - Gordon

I find it far cheaper than 10 or even 16 years ago!! Internet, electricity, phones , etc; is all far cheaper than back then. Food isn't much more expensive either.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
I did say SPAIN ,if it’s a shouting game ?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Just got back from 3 weeks in France, six years since we were last there, couldn't believe how expensive it is compared to last time, £2.50 average for a small loaf, diesel dearer than here and fresh milk only available at hypermarkets!!??. Good news though was never asked to put my two(well behaved) dogs on leads on any campsite, and no restrictions on beaches we went to, unlike everywhere in uk we go to in the summer months

On Most Med beaches, dogs are banned from May-October.

Which is a real shame, as most dogs and owners are better behaved than a lot of children and parents.

It is the irresponsible pet owners that spoil it.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Link here to information on cost of living by country:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp

For groceries, France is most expensive, followed by UK and then Spain

I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it makes interesting reading

And anyway South Wales is the best place to live!

Jul 29, 2017
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530 Flash
Exp
Camping Caravanning and Motorhoming for 40yrs, last 2 Motorhoming
Depends on which part of Spain we are heading. Never use the Santander/Bilbao ferries, France is too beautiful to miss.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Depends on which part of Spain we are heading. Never use the Santander/Bilbao ferries, France is too beautiful to miss.

You're right but if you just want to get to Spain, and the sun in Winter France is cold and 'closed'

I happily tour France but a Santander/Bilbao cruise is the only way I'll travel to Spain.........done with France in Winter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I happily tour France but a Santander/Bilbao cruise is the only way I'll travel to Spain.........done with France in Winter

Since we moved over 7m the Spanish ferries are looking quite unattractive.

Not a lot of people know this: Santander to Benidorm is half the distance of Calais to Benidorm.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
On my way back from Spain (Barcelona)

Went out Portsmouth to Bilbao

Expensive but pleasant - 1 day drive from Bilbao to Valencia - easy

Came back through France - 2 day drive but hard work - always find that a "5 hour drive" turns out to be all day.

The second day really is too much and I always seem to find a hold up - this time roadworks in Rouen

Diversions round back streets, inches to spare.

And the cost of nearly everything in France makes the UK look cheap

Next time it'll be Portsmouth - Bilbao both ways - sod the extra cost
Barcelona blimey that is just two hours from UK.;) Your post brought back memories of the many years we used to do that drive. With just one driver it takes forever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Barcelona blimey that is just two hours from UK.;)

Nice try Mr B(y)............getting to airport, waiting, cramped seating on plane, getting off plane, waiting, passport control, luggage, sorting hire car...make that 6-7 hours.........a pain

Any delays in the van, feet up, cuppa, watch a DVD............. (OK so I've still got DVDs!!).........all good(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Nice try Mr B(y)............getting to airport, waiting, cramped seating on plane, getting off plane, waiting, passport control, luggage, sorting hire car...make that 6-7 hours.........a pain

Any delays in the van, feet up, cuppa, watch a DVD............. (OK so I've still got DVDs!!).........all good(y)
I did that trip for twenty five years on the trot before I found a much better way of doing things. 30 mins to the airport 30 mins to get through drop off and security, feet up with a glass of wine. Two hours on, pick up the car and you are in the sunshine on holiday.:cool:;)

Last edited:

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
WE find France is much higher price to buy a glass of wine and beer in a bar 6 to 9 euro a round and we go to Spain in oct you will find most of ares are closed all have no facilities open and most of the small towns are closed down by 8 at night

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We agree. Never drive through France now.

We only want to do a minimum amount of miles driving a day and for me France would be 4-5 days driving.

Ferry - even though i am a crap sailor is much easier.

...ahhhh we love driving through France...we usually take at least 4 days and love the challenge of driving through the villages...not that I'm allowed to drive much but when I am I love it...My OH is a crap sailor so it's only on very rare occassions we take the ferry to Santander...we love the tunnel best as it is hassle free and it feels as if it is a continuation of our road journey as we don't have to leave the motorhome. The 35 minute journey through the tunnel passes in a flash and then we drive on only for a couple of hours usually to Nuefchatel en Bray for the night and get the shopping in from the LeClerc just around the corner from the aire. It's a nice little town with bars which we sometimes walk to for a drink. We rarely eat out in France unless for a special occasion...the food is reasonably priced but the wine is extortionate...we wait to get to Spain to eat out where it's cheaper and we prefer Spanish food and coffee. We never go near Rouen but stop further back along the Seine.... Les Andeleys area is rather lovely . We don't use the toll roads unless we are tied for time. :D

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think French food prices will start to look a lot more attractive over the coming months. With the recent dry U.K. weather, farmers now have the perfect excuse to raise prices on veg and cerial crops due to poor harvests.
By us in Brittany, wheat was being brought in weeks ago and crops that are being cut now are in perfect condition.
I still haven’t noticed prices here being anywhere near as high as people are saying, so it makes me wonder where some of you are shopping.
It’s true the exchange rate took a dive 2 years ago that it hasn’t recovered from, but, diesel I bought yesterday ( Super U) was the equivalent of £1.22 a litre, you still get excellent wine below €3 a bottle ( Les Tuilleries red from Lidl €2 and gold award winning is hard to beat)
We had a superb 4 course lunch in a hotel last week , 3 adults, with wine/beer and 3 coffees for €49
Grimbergen beer (50cl) and a glass of good Rosé for €5 ( last month I bought a pint of IPA and a glass of average red for just under £10 in Newbury)
I guess you just have to watch where you spend your money.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
I think French food prices will start to look a lot more attractive over the coming months. With the recent dry U.K. weather, farmers now have the perfect excuse to raise prices on veg and cerial crops due to poor harvests.
By us in Brittany, wheat was being brought in weeks ago and crops that are being cut now are in perfect condition.
I still haven’t noticed prices here being anywhere near as high as people are saying, so it makes me wonder where some of you are shopping.
It’s true the exchange rate took a dive 2 years ago that it hasn’t recovered from, but, diesel I bought yesterday ( Super U) was the equivalent of £1.22 a litre, you still get excellent wine below €3 a bottle ( Les Tuilleries red from Lidl €2 and gold award winning is hard to beat)
We had a superb 4 course lunch in a hotel last week , 3 adults, with wine/beer and 3 coffees for €49
Grimbergen beer (50cl) and a glass of good Rosé for €5 ( last month I bought a pint of IPA and a glass of average red for just under £10 in Newbury)
I guess you just have to watch where you spend your money.

We love France and find shopping there for both food and wine is quite a lot cheaper than in the UK...eating out is too and the food is good but a bottle of wine in a restaurant is, in our experience, really expensive....so since I love cooking all those lovely fresh veg, fish and meat in the motorhome we rarely go out....especially as you can buy delicious wine in the supermarket for aa few euros.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
What route do you take?
Well that wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be.. but, depending on where we want to stop (southbound) there are a few alternatives, sometimes we stop at Forges-les-Eaux or Lyons-la-Foret, but if just heading generally south then..

It's down the A28 (avoiding all toll roads) of at J10>D928>Saint-Martin-Osmonville>D41>Buchy>D46>Vascoeuil, then toward Val D'Orger.. Les Andeleys.. D313-D316 passing Gaillon onto the N154, which puts you south of Rouen.

All these roads are a bit like our 'B' roads, and are scenic in places with little traffic, and a delight to drive along, definitely won't save you any time, but easily traversed in our Inca, and of course nowhere near Rouen.

The picture gives you a rough Idea..
Rouen.png

Reactions: Pia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back