Through France to Spain ? not likely (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
You don't have to do one or the other. That's the beauty of motorhoming. If you don't fancy driving and prefer ferries in the Bay of Biscay, do that. If you enjoy driving through France, do that. Be a devil, and go one way, come back the other. What the heck, go for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you do rouen in a day from the border no wonder you prefer the fery, to get a rest. I dont even like the tunnel no brekkie and an hours read of the paper

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Love the ferry to Spain -- Cap Finistère specifically. We have sea legs though (when you've done a force 12 in the Arctic Ocean, everything else seems calm). It actually has always been calm for us, except for one which was a bit up-and-downy -- not many people at dinner that night!

Last time we opted for the two-nighter that stops (briefly) at Roscoff -- cabin price the same as for one night -- and treated it as a 'mini cruise' as a relaxing start to our holiday.

We also like the proper French food in the restaurant -- even as an infrequent eater of red meat, I cannot resist their tournedos. Probably a bit wasted on anyone of the 'well done' fraternity, though, it's got to be bloody or there's no point.

There were quite a few people travelling with dogs. There are a small number of pet-friendly cabins which get booked up very early. And there are also kennels for those without pet-friendly cabins. The ship has an exercise area for dogs, swabbed regularly by a man with a hose! Dogs are supposed to be muzzled while moving around the ship.

It’s funny isn’t it because I hate the Cap Finistere and will only use the Pont Aven if there is a commodore cabin available. I hate the bars, restaurants and everything else about the Cap Finistere.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
if you do rouen in a day from the border no wonder you prefer the fery, to get a rest. I dont even like the tunnel no brekkie and an hours read of the paper

Stopped at the Aire in Montmaralt first day, Rouen was afternoon on 2nd day:)

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Beware the tolls in France, very expensive for large moho 3 axle etc

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm retired. The journey IS the adventure, wandering in and around villages, hamlets, markets. The longer it takes the better I like it.
If I was in a hurry (who goes on holiday IN A HURRY?) for the return motorhome ferry cost I could fly EasyJet Barcelona return, stay for ten days in a noisy hotel and still have change left for a packet of Immodium.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I'm retired. The journey IS the adventure, wandering in and around villages, hamlets, markets. The longer it takes the better I like it.
If I was in a hurry (who goes on holiday IN A HURRY?) for the return motorhome ferry cost I could fly EasyJet Barcelona return, stay for ten days in a noisy hotel and still have change left for a packet of Immodium.

I'm 72 but not 'retired', My trip to Spain was part holiday, part fitting a kitchen to my place in Mallorca - which I took with me !

I don't do 'holidays' or noisy hotels - or doing nothing - but prefer traveling in the MH despite the much cheaper option of flying.....

My MH(s) are part of my daily life............each to his own..............(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We drive down through France every year and enjoy the drive,we do this as we take our two dogs with us and to get a dog friendly cabin on a ferry are like hens teeth so it suits us well and have never tired of it.
Everyone to their own and I certainly understand that lots of folk don’t have the time we have(y)(y)(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the reason I hesitated was because it was the economie and have heard horror stories of vans damages on the open deck. :eek:

We crossed on that in Feb. I've never seen vans packed so tightly, even up the ramp. We were watching them load and kept saying "they'll never get that in there" but they did time and time again. Then there is the sea spray as a bonus.

But the worst thing is it's so small it's as stable as a jelly, even in calm conditions it oscillates, standing at the back the rear of the boat describes a circle when going in a straight line.

No food for us outbound.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
We crossed on that in Feb. I've never seen vans packed so tightly, even up the ramp. We were watching them load and kept saying "they'll never get that in there" but they did time and time again. Then there is the sea spray as a bonus.
But the worst thing is it's so small it's as stable as a jelly, even in calm conditions it oscillates, standing at the back the rear of the boat describes a circle when going in a straight line.
No food for us outbound.

The 'cruise' on Cap Finistere is not much dearer.....

I never book early and you can now get accurate weather and 'sea state' reports....

Had much worse weather on a cruise in the Med and on a ferry from Mallorca to Barcelona last year it was so bad they were giving cabins away free to keep passengers safe......

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It’s funny isn’t it because I hate the Cap Finistere and will only use the Pont Aven if there is a commodore cabin available. I hate the bars, restaurants and everything else about the Cap Finistere.

If only you could combine them?

I would like Cap Finistere's bar above Pont Aven's Restaurant with Pont Aven's Commodore cabins.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

No food for us outbound.

Follows on from my thread some time ago....

I did not get FOUR Pages of replies, I must be a right boring 8astard

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/so-what-has-changed.169509/

D

DL42846

Deleted User
And I thought it was just me.
Except for the bread and wine EVERYTHING in France is so much more expensive now, even accounting for the exchange rate.
It won't stop us going, it's just that I can remember when you could live cheap. The locals must be feeling the pinch.
Is it the Macron factor or are we in for a mega increase in the cost of living come Brexit

Don't think its the Macron factor causing increase in prices. It's the taxation. We own a business and you wouldn't believe the tax one has to pay to support the government run business. Someone told me 55% of the labor force in France are Government run with early retirement plans and high pensions which the private sector have to pay for. Look at the train drivers, they retire at 55 with a three thousand a month pension and housing benefits and free travel on trains for them and there family for life. A Panorama type program here in France several weeks ago showed how train drivers in Paris were buying houses in the alps and renting them out, buying the houses using the housing benefit system to purchase them. The private sector will get nothing like the Gov pensions. Everyone in France were working on the black, avoiding paying the full tax. The Gov is now closing the loop holes.
Someone scratched my car, I asked for a quot to get it fixed. 100€ cash in hand or 195€ paying the tax.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Don't think its the Macron factor causing increase in prices. It's the taxation. We own a business and you wouldn't believe the tax one has to pay to support the government run business. Someone told me 55% of the labor force in France are Government run with early retirement plans and high pensions which the private sector have to pay for. Look at the train drivers, they retire at 55 with a three thousand a month pension and housing benefits and free travel on trains for them and there family for life. A Panorama type program here in France several weeks ago showed how train drivers in Paris were buying houses in the alps and renting them out, buying the houses using the housing benefit system to purchase them. The private sector will get nothing like the Gov pensions. Everyone in France were working on the black, avoiding paying the full tax. The Gov is now closing the loop holes.
Someone scratched my car, I asked for a quot to get it fixed. 100€ cash in hand or 195€ paying the tax.
That highlights the problems with high taxation it benifits the black ecconomy and reduces the amount collected

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Sunday’s crossing was almost perfect. Arrived this morning very relaxed, now in Aranjuez. Bonus was being charged as a car on the toll road to Burgos even though just over 3m high and weigh 4.25t! (And the sun is out)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Come and live in the South East for a month before going to France then you will find it cheap.:)
Live in Spain & then go to either to see how eye wateringly expensive they are.:)
Sunday’s crossing was almost perfect. Arrived this morning very relaxed, now in Aranjuez. Bonus was being charged as a car on the toll road to Burgos even though just over 3m high and weigh 4.25t! (And the sun is out)

you are same as a car on a spanish toll road(y)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I’m booked for the ferry to France tomorrow but got down to Dover tonight and thought I would see if I could get on a boat,that will be £60 sir,not likely says I,only paid £66 for the crossing. Got a nice wee wild spot not far from the port and will get an earlier ferry in the morning. (y)

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I would pay the 195.

Otherwise, they could do a merd job and say, cen me pas mois mon ami anglais et mousier ferme générale

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
France has definately got dearer the price of fuel even at supermarkets is an indication and supermarket shopping is much dearer than uk apart from wine and tobacco. The cost difference of either route is not that much if you get the economy ferry. We came back through France last April and the weather was not great and as we get older want hassle free driving so would use autoroutes. Ferry direct from Spain for us and spend the month in uk touring instead of France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back