Through France to Northern Spain following waterways (1 Viewer)

aajax42

Free Member
Apr 28, 2018
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Nuevo ES.
Exp
Collecting my first Motor Home on Thursday.
We have explored the west coast of France quite extensively, been there done that, and like the idea of finding a scenic route through France to Spain that follows the rivers/canals as an alternative to hugging the coast. Maybe start with the Seine from Le Harve down to Eure, then pick up the Sarthe, the Loire down through Allier and so on. Waterways can be very beautiful, passing through interesting old towns. has anyone done anything like this or have any recommendations?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Fab idea ... I’m heading to Germany this summer and look to the waterways first.
I’ve followed the Garonne/Canal du Midi/Robine ... from Bordeaux via Toulouse and Narbonne to Port la Nouvelle. I did it by bike with a tent on the back but the roads follow the route closely too. It was my best ever holiday ... from Port la Nouvelle it’s a skip and a jump to Spain ... we had to go home but a German couple we met we’re continuing in that direction.
I’ll follow your trip with interest. Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The problem is the geography. The big lump of the massif central in the lower middle.

We did the Loire from sea to source a couple of years ago and it loops all over the place. Conversely, the Lot which we've just driven down runs almost in a straight line east to west. The point is the rivers run in all directions so just choose a few and join up the dots.

I can recommend the Lot and it will take you in the right direction. You could do a bit of the upper Loire before that too. Their sources are not far apart.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Great idea... We always do so with JJ when travelling in France and try keeping close to the rivers and lakes. There's one thing I'd like to point out though: Always keep an eye on the forecast. We have had lots and lots of floods in the last few years bridges destroyed with the water and mud , so if the forecast is on "alerte orange" or even worse "alerte rouge" go away and keep on a higher level!

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here's a watery suggestion if coming from Spain and heading towards Calais area.

france-rivers.jpg

Cross over the Pyrenees somewhere in the middle. Then down the Garonne until you can pick up the Lot. Drive up that all the way then a short hop to the source of the Loire. Down this river for about half it length then down the Eure until you reach the Seine then on to Le Havre and along the coast to whatever crossing you need.

But check on the road situation as this will take you some time if you want to follow the rivers closely. It is worth doing this for the Lot but for the others choose major roads for speed. :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Did Calais to Marseille via Paris and Lyon on the canals - Seine - Soane - Rhone in the 70s by boat - great trip esp the Rhone valley and Arles (y)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
And don't forget the canal du Nivernaise which goes through Burgundy and has lovely towns and villages. We've done most of Auxerre to Devizes.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
aajax42

aajax42

Free Member
Apr 28, 2018
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Nuevo ES.
Exp
Thanks everyone for the reply's and the suggestions. I am so pleased to see the interest in this idea and hope more of you join in. We plan to start our trip at the beginning of September so have a fair amount of time to do our planning. It will take some time to go through the different ideas you have so kindly put forward and we will put 'more meat on the bones' for you to critique over the next couple of months.

• Thanks
OP
OP
aajax42

aajax42

Free Member
Apr 28, 2018
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Nuevo ES.
Exp
Thanks DBK, We will however be travelling down by road and back by ferry. Travelling down in to the warmth and sunshine is our hope. Have driven back at the end of September a few times and hated it. Driving rain, getting colder as you head North, Nights closing in. Ferry back for us at that time of year.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks DBK, We will however be travelling down by road and back by ferry. Travelling down in to the warmth and sunshine is our hope. Have driven back at the end of September a few times and hated it. Driving rain, getting colder as you head North, Nights closing in. Ferry back for us at that time of year.
Belated reply as I missed your post. :) I also mis-read your intended direction of travel! But the concept works in reverse. Though there are many options do try a bit of the Lot. The Loire gets the headlines but the Lot is of a more human scale and has some very pretty sections.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We enjoyed following the Dordogne year before last, then dropped down into the North of Spain

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back