Thrombosed haemorrhoids? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Sorry to raise this subject .... I hope no-ones had these?

My hubbie is really suffering ... worst thing is he’s bleeding constantly so can’t sit down without towel and plastic bag. Constantly washing clothes and showering.
GP has given cream and a FIT note but no advice as to how long before bleeding stops.

Any advice?

We had hoped to have weekend away in van next weekend but that’s looking doubtful now :cry:.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If they keep bleeding he will likely need them cauterised . My mum suffered and got relief from a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel when they were painful

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
How horrible for him. Sympathy!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
They are probably the most panful thing after kidney or gall blader stones i got them throug heavy lifting when i worked off shore i had to have a operation to get them sorted out i was 30 years old at the time as previously mentioned peas wrapped up in a towel or a ice bag did help but not getting constipated is important plenty of water
germilods creme helped for me as well.
hope hes feeling better soon
bill

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had this about 4 years ago ...size of a large marble, I was off work for 5 .5 weeks , painful to sit painful to lie down and going to the toilet was agony I was prescribed tramadol . I had suppositories and cream and had to take laxative in order to do the toilet. I was at the stage I was begging them to operate but they wouldn't for fear of infection.
He has my sympathy but I don't think you'll be going away in the van for a few weeks.

Worse thing I ever had

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Very sorry to hear of this problem. Best bet is Preparation H or some such otherwise over the counter preparation. And eat lots and lots of fibre and drink lots of water.
The thrombosis (clot) should go down in a few days.
Also take some pain killers like paracetomol and avoid codeine or other opioids (which cause constipation).
And try to avoid too many showers washes etc that require towel drying the affected part. That will cause the bleeding to start again. Gently dab dry.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Try the above..especially Pep H....

my understanding is that surgery is the last option as its quite drastic and requires a long convalescence... good luck..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Had one but it wasn't painful at all, doc had a look and just said it will go down in its own time.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

my understanding is that surgery is the last option as its quite drastic and requires a long convalescence... good luck..

I had the op in 1986, it is pretty painful post op but not for very long, once they remove the wadding they use to stop the bleeding it's ok, i was in and out in one day and had a week off work, mostly to fully recover from the anaesthetic. Best thing i ever had done

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Very sorry to hear of this problem. Best bet is Preparation H or some such otherwise over the counter preparation. And eat lots and lots of fibre and drink lots of water.
The thrombosis (clot) should go down in a few days.
Also take some pain killers like paracetomol and avoid codeine or other opioids (which cause constipation).
And try to avoid too many showers washes etc that require towel drying the affected part. That will cause the bleeding to start again. Gently dab dry.

Had one but it wasn't painful at all, doc had a look and just said it will go down in its own time.
I have to say you were all lucky then.

Couple of days ?

5 weeks it took for mine to go , even putting frozen veg on it didn't reduce the swelling.
The blood can't escape that's why it's called thrombosed.
3 weeks in I got a friend to take me to a&e and tried to get them to cut and drain it for some relief but they refused. It took a further 2 weeks to get rid of it.
I had pins and needles down my right leg and everything..can only assume it was pressing on a nerve.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I have to say you were all lucky then.

Couple of days ?

5 weeks it took for mine to go , even putting frozen veg on it didn't reduce the swelling.
The blood can't escape that's why it's called thrombosed.
3 weeks in I got a friend to take me to a&e and tried to get them to cut and drain it for some relief but they refused. It took a further 2 weeks to get rid of it.
I had pins and needles down my right leg and everything..can only assume it was pressing on a nerve.

Sounds ghastly Tam.
He’s bleeding continuously ... so must have burst. Tena for men no good as they’re back to front if you know what I mean :oops:. I nearly bought a puppy training pad but found a Tesco pad that should cut up ...

Doesn’t help that he’s got the kids taking the mickey out of him dreadfully :rolleyes:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I was recommended this by a friend recently but not in the UK to try it yet

IMG_20190502_180206654.jpg

It says witch doctor, apologies for the blurred picture

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sounds ghastly Tam.
He’s bleeding continuously ... so must have burst. Tena for men no good as they’re back to front if you know what I mean :oops:. I nearly bought a puppy training pad but found a Tesco pad that should cut up ...

Doesn’t help that he’s got the kids taking the mickey out of him dreadfully :rolleyes:
Yeah I had a few folk taking the piss out of me too. I hope he's better soon

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Rubber ring might help to sit on or a commode chair. When I was in my teens I finished up in a surgical ward for a couple of weeks. Couple of guys had been operated on. One refused to get out of bed and the other guy was traveling everywhere in a wheelchair that had a toilet seat in it. He had a blow up ring to make it a bit more comfy. Know how he feels had a fissure in my back passage many years ago. Eye wateringly painful. Hope he starts to feel better soon.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
If the bleeding doesn't stop, I'd go to A&E or at least ring the NHS helpline on 111 and see what they suggest. Hope it stops bleeding and hurting soon. Kids are cruel, but when they're grown up, they'll soon realise it can and does happen to anyone.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sounds ghastly Tam.

Ladies sanitary pads would work better than tenna products

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks folks.

I’ve ordered a memory foam ring and some specially shaped gel ice packs so hopefully they will arrive shortly.

I’ve read your comments to him and I think that’s been helpful .. knowing that others have been through this and come out the other end.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Once it sorted please try Acai berries tablets (Holland and Barrett do them on their penny sale offers) .... don't take the amount prescribed .. just take one every night with a hot drink. They should help keep him going to the toilet NATURALLY just as long as he keeps taking them ... Senna tablets and other stuff can be harsh but these are a blessing in disguise according to many of my friends. . And stop the problem coming back.

Good luck.

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
I never thought I would be putting this in the public domain but …….

had piles several years ago, was going to the hospital clinic every two months to get them tied off - except the clinic kept cancelling the appointment and it ended being every 4 or 6 months. in due course I collapsed through the amount of blood I was losing and was rushed into hospital. my blood pressure was so low they immediately put me on a drip and kept me in for 48hours for observation.
eventually had the operation - most painful thing I have ever had, in particular going to the loo within 24 hours. ended up in bed for another 24hours and was off work for a total of 4 weeks.

creams will never fix the problem !!!!!!

I think that now the op is keyhole surgery and its a one day thing.

go and see your doctor asap
cheers and all the best

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
There are some creams available which contain lidocaine which is a local anesthetic, they may be prescription only but worth asking the chemist or your doctor as I found them really effective before I had the op.
For anyone out there suffering in silence have a look at the link and don't be embarrassed to seek treatment, many, many people have been to see your doctor with the same issue. :)

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/piles-haemorrhoids/treatment/

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
He has prescription cream which contains local anaesthetic and steroids. Hopefully will start to have effect soon.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
A nice soak in the bath will help relieve the discomfort as will a shower and more importantly it will keep the area clean. Dry yourself with a hairdryer on low rather than a towel. Not a bad way of doing things after having your bowels opened rather than paper, this is when a bidet would be handy.
Keep your bowel movements soft with prunes, apricots chia seeds, lactulose, movicol or whatever works for you. Lots of different creams available from doctor or chemist, some work better than others, find one that suits. If it’s bleeding I really wouldn’t worry, inconvenient but make sure you keep area clean with regular baths or showers. If pain suddenly got worse again then see your doctor as it might have got infected. They don’t usually. You just have to be patient.
Most people don’t need surgery but some do. I am a retired GP. I have also had thrombosis piles. I was a very patient patient and mine settled after about 4-6 weeks on both occasions. Would not want surgery unless it went on for longer!!

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
@carolyn thanks that’s really useful. I think he was expecting 4-6 days rather than 4-6 weeks so he will need to be much more patient. Useful info re surgery too, appreciate it.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I had Piles years ago had operation in Nuffield hospital in Ipswich , my experience was apparently I caught them early , least problematic operation I have had.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
@carolyn thanks that’s really useful. I think he was expecting 4-6 days rather than 4-6 weeks so he will need to be much more patient. Useful info re surgery too, appreciate it.
4-6 weeks was a bit unlucky mind you. I’d say 3 weeks is quite normal with slow improvement all the time. The dreadful pain is usually less than a week but of course if he gets constipated it will set him back. The bleeding is just because it’s a raw open wound that gets stretched when he has his bowels opened and therefore bleeds.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
4-6 weeks was a bit unlucky mind you. I’d say 3 weeks is quite normal with slow improvement all the time. The dreadful pain is usually less than a week but of course if he gets constipated it will set him back. The bleeding is just because it’s a raw open wound that gets stretched when he has his bowels opened and therefore bleeds.
I dunno your 4 to 6 weeks was spot on in my case 5.5 weeks off work in total. And I was in agony most of that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back