Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Hi, has anyone got or used a three wheel petrol powered bike and did you tow or stow. Sounds crazy but we don't fancy a small car

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
I'm sure i read a post some time ago from a funster who bought one of those motorbike/scooter with 2 wheels at the front and one at the back, you see a lot of them abroad but not too many in the uk, i'm sure they will reply soon if they are still members. or do you mean a trike ?,loads of info available for them on here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There is a FUNster with no bike licence that runs one.

They are getting very popular, Paris was crawling with them last week.

Yamaha is about to launch a 125cc one that undercuts all the others on price.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
never say never Brian if it sort of keeps you on a bike

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I'm sure i read a post some time ago from a funster who bought one of those motorbike/scooter with 2 wheels at the front and one at the back, you see a lot of them abroad but not too many in the uk, i'm sure they will reply soon if they are still members. or do you mean a trike ?,loads of info available for them on here
you mean the piaggio MP3 good fun to ride

the MP3s are classed as a 2 wheeled bike so u need a bike licence and if memory serves me right the 250cc MP3 is classed as a trike which you need a B1 cat on your licence which you used to only get with a bike licence but now you get a B1 cat with your car test only (B1 cat allows you to ride/drive a 3 or 4 wheel vehicle upto 400kg)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
You are quite right Lee,
I have a 2007 Gilera Fuoco which is made by Piaggio but with different Madmax bodywork,more recently these and mp3's have also been produced with a different space between the front two wheels to broaden the customer base and can be ridden on a car licence.
I have a 2 bike trailer which has been converted to take the Gilera but is still just within the 350kgs gross trailer weight,the Gilera is 253kgs so no lightweight:Eeek:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Tow it, way too heavy for anything else. 500cc ride it on a car license.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Scooter

COUPLE OPPOSIT ME HAVE 1 AND THEY R OUT ON IT ALL THE TIME,IF U HAVE DODGY LEGS IDEAL I USED 2 HAVE 1 BUT WITH ANN,S DISSABILITIES GOT RID OF IT :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
never say never Brian if it sort of keeps you on a bike

I'm not criticising them, just saying they are an enigma, it's not a bike, it's not a trike.

Though legally it's a trike.

On the other hand it will fall over like a bike.

Weird.

I wonder if Yoric has thrashed one, his opinion would be good.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Brian,I replaced all my 2 wheelers with this due to a shoulder injury as it seemed the only way to avoid giving up bikes? completely.
When you say it will fall over you are correct,you can also crash it like a bike.:Eeek:
BUT they have a very complex tilt lock system,below 5kph a light starts to flash and with a push of the button you stop any tilting,get off and walk away or sit at the lights with your feet up.As soon as you pull away the light extinguishes and you can lean like a normal bike again.
It is an enigma but works for me and incidentally is surprisingly good fun,as long as one front wheel is on Tarmac it won't slide so can still be involving.
The fact they now make them usable by people with a car licence opens up the market with a different width of front track for legal reasons enables more people to be on 2 or3 wheels which to me is no bad thing.
Sure I regret having to give up after 50 years of bikes but am still out there enjoying the fresh air and smells and with my new Mivv pipe it sounds like a 500 motocross bike.:thumb:

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I'm not criticising them, just saying they are an enigma, it's not a bike, it's not a trike.

Though legally it's a trike.

On the other hand it will fall over like a bike.

Weird.

I wonder if Yoric has thrashed one, his opinion would be good.

the piaggio ones under 125cc are legally a bike not trike due to the wheel spacing on the front been 460mm or less
for example the dodge tomahawk has 4 wheels (independant axles) but is classed as a 2 wheel motorcycle
tomahawk.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back