Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Link Removed

I recommend the Slideshow option, but if you wish to read all the captions, you'll want to go shot one at a time.

Have fun!

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Milo

Nice set of pictures:thumb:best with the captions

Looks like you had a great time, with some wonderful pictures to remember it by.

Dave

OP
OP
Milo

Milo

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Thanx, Dave. You can bet I've a return trip in mind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Milo

Milo

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
143 Is the best but please nae more standin' stanes

But 143 has a great chunk of lens fluff above the bicycle, so now I don't know what to think other than "Each to his own", of course. Unless they're wrong. I did check with the photo police and they did say I could take as many as I liked, and publish them. And they added that some people will be more interested than others, but not to worry 'cause it's juss fralarf, innit. An' I said, That's cool.

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the great photos. Went to Arran a couple of years ago. Now I remember I want to go back again.

201 says it all for me. :thumb:

Gill

OP
OP
Milo

Milo

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Thank you. I'm afraid I've been deleting just a few so that has probably messed up the numbering. But what a wonderful island, eh!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

It is indeed a beautiful island, I could see it from my bedroom window when I lived in West Kilbride .. and spent many happy days cycling and camping there.. happy days :Smile:

To the south you have the small island of Ailsa Craig, (shown in one of your pictures) .. never visited it but would love to one day .. also known as Paddy's Milestone..

Some info from Wiki

Ailsa Craig was a haven for Roman Catholics during the Scottish Reformation. In 1597 the Catholic supporter, Hugh Barclay of Ladyland, took possession of Ailsa Craig, which he was intent on using as a provisioning and stopping off point for a Spanish invasion which would re-establish the Catholic faith in Scotland. He was discovered by the Protestant minister Andrew Knox and upon being discovered he either tried to escape or deliberately drowned himself in the sea off Ailsa Craig.[6]

In 1831, the twelfth earl of Cassillis became first Marquess of Ailsa, taking the title from the Craig, which was his property.

From the mid-19th to mid-20th centuries, the island was quarried for its rare type of micro-granite with riebeckite (known as "Ailsite") which was used to make curling stones. The floor of the Chapel of the Thistle in St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh is also made of this rock.

Ailsa Craig is now uninhabited, the lighthouse having been automated in 1990[7] and the quarry long since disused. The island is now a bird sanctuary. Huge numbers of gannets nest here and following a pioneering technique to eradicate the island's imported population of rats a growing number of puffins are choosing to return to the Craig from nearby Glunimore and Sheep Islands.

Thanks for the memories.. :Smile:

Jim

800px-Ailsa_Craig_from_Waverley.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread