Three Sim Throttling Speeds In France (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is all double Dutch to me, can someone explain how it works to a compleat ignoramus in this stuff, surely you still have to connect to something , never mind where it thinks you are,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is all double Dutch to me, can someone explain how it works to a compleat ignoramus in this stuff, surely you still have to connect to something , never mind where it thinks you are,
I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert and the method of using the VPN will vary between devices I believe. On my Android tablet I will install an app called OpenVPN which is the thing the device will connect through, essentially like its own private tunnel, back to the router in my home. Other VPN providers may differ and of course they will connect to their servers not the router at your home. If it works and I log into BBC iPlayer from France, instead of telling me I can't do this because I don't live in the UK it should behave normally because it thinks I am sitting at home in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert and the method of using the VPN will vary between devices I believe. On my Android tablet I will install an app called OpenVPN which is the thing the device will connect through, essentially like its own private tunnel, back to the router in my home. Other VPN providers may differ and of course they will connect to their servers not the router at your home. If it works and I log into BBC iPlayer from France, instead of telling me I can't do this because I don't live in the UK it should behave normally because it thinks I am sitting at home in the UK.
So it's not actually quicker, just lets you see things that normally you can't get(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So it's not actually quicker, just lets you see things that normally you can't get(y)
I can't see why it should be quicker, as the local provider just sees it as a call, so to speak. But I did suspect my 3 connection was being throttled in Spain this year. Even with a good 3g connection there were times when it was very slow but when I put my O2 sim card in the mifi things improved significantly.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

times 2

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can't see why it should be quicker, as the local provider just sees it as a call, so to speak. But I did suspect my 3 connection was being throttled in Spain this year. Even with a good 3g connection there were times when it was very slow but when I put my O2 sim card in the mifi things improved significantly.
That is what I found, so you will still be on O2 even with the vpn, is that right? Or will it make 3 work better

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That is what I found, so you will still be on O2 even with the vpn, is that right? Or will it make 3 work better
I don't know is the short answer. We are off to France at the beginning of September so will be able to check if my DIY VPN works from there, assuming of course I can get it to work in the first place but if it does it should work with any sim card, 3 or O2.

Deleted User
As far as I am aware the VPN masks your location and has no bearing on which service provider you are using.

I have used the Zenmate VPN with Vodafone in Portugal, Three in Spain and France and Orange in France. I am currently using it as a test at my Daughters on a Sky connection and it does work but the VPN actually slows the connection from 25 mps to about 6, this is with the free version, if I were prepared to pay about £7 a month for the premium service they claim that there is no speed reduction.

With the chrome browser I simply downloaded the extension from https://zenmate.com/ and this is then in the extensions section of settings along with adblock etc and can be activated or deactivated with one click.

Using the VPN at the moment and I am apparently being connected through Germany, wondered why I was getting German adverts(now blocked).:)

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
VPN's also give you the advantage of encryption so any on-line activity is fully protected form snooping. I run my own VPN on an Apple Mac-mini (along with loads of other stuff including a media server) using openbpn and tunnelblick.

VPN's can appear to run faster if the ISP you are connected to does any traffic management where they deliberately slow down streaming traffic. With a VPN conneciton it's next to impossible to work out what type of traffic is being sent.

Allan

OP
OP
Steve101uk

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
It's not that it's quicker, in fact vpns are usually a little slower. But the french internet provider that three is going through are unable to see the data when I am using a vpn. therefore the throttling doesn't kick in as they can't see what the data is, they just see scrambled data transferring between my computer and the server in the UK which is acting as my vpn.

when using the vpn every website I connect to see's the ip of the UK server that I am connected to via the vpn, (not the french ip) therefore seeing me as being in the UK and therefore allowing me access to geo restricted content such as bbc I player.

vpn's are often recommended as way to secure your data for example when using public wifi hotspots or similar. The data flowing between your computer and the vpn server is secured in what they describe as a tunnel.

So when you are using three in France and find its going to slow, try a speedtest, if that gives a sensible reading, say 3mbps, then switch on the vpn, you may find the speed reading down to say 2mbps but the speed you are receiving the data is faster as you are by passing the throttling of the French telecom company.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back