Three or Vodafone in France and Spain? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive been using three in a mifi for some years now. Its pretty good in UK but its always been slow in France and Spain. This year its been even worse - its almost unusable on automatic and I cannot get it to register on any of the 4g services. It worked on 4g everywhere in Morocco.

Vodafone reckons they own their own networks so don't suffer throttling. How is this working for people?

Comparisons would be useful.

Thanks

Jon

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Used to use a Three sim in a Mi-Fi plus a phone contract but now have a decent data plan for my phone with Vodafone.
Three was fairly good but only 3G and couldn't tether if used on the phone.
Vodafone is 4G just about everywhere in France and the few places we have been in Spain. You can also tether and use all the data in your plan abroad. Been streaming F1 via the phone with no problems.
Vodafone every time for me.

Richard.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have Three and it is definitely throttled back in Europe

My wife has the same phone and is on Vodafone and there is no difference in speed home or away

Vodafone are doing a 100GB deal for about £22 a month

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are some threads on here already about the 100gb Vodaphone sim and how to get it a lot cheaper, so do a search for it. Its a phone sim but you can use it in your mifi if you wish.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Vodafone has worked well for me almost everywhere except in some parts of Germany. However, Vodafone don't own their own network in every country. In France they use Orange (and possibly other networks) but I got a reliable 4g connection. It was the same in Spain, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland.

The only thing to be aware of is when driving from one country to another you may have to manually search for a connection. Once you have connected with a Vodafone-speaking network in the new country it should be fine for the rest of your trip there. Not everyone has to do this but my MiFi does even though it is set to select networks automatically. I use the Huawei app on my tablet to do all this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Vodafone own network in Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany & UK. They have Partner (branding/no limits sharing/product sharing etc) markets in each of the countries where they don’t own the assets and have roaming agreements with all the Mobile Operators in countries they don’t own assets in.
They don’t throttle between their owned or partner markets so you should get the best throughput. If you fall off that coverage into a “normal” roaming area then those can be throttled back from 4g to 3g. France is SFR by the way.

I’m on the inside as they say (although not in consumer stuff).

Rgds

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back