Minxy

Three Mobile Broadband Info - Preloaded Data Sims (1 Viewer) Updated 22 Feb 2017

No permission to download

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy Girl submitted a new resource:

Three Mobile Broadband Info - Preloaded Data Sims - Info on using Three Preloaded Data sims in the UK and abroad

The info is supplied to try to answer the often asked questions of what mobile broadband data sims are usable abroad as well as in the UK without incurring massive roaming charges.

'Three' currently allow their data sims to be used abroad in 42 'Feel at home' countries, in the same way you would in the UK although there is some limitation of how long you can use them out of the UK.

The information is mainly aimed at those who have PRELOADED data sims and NOT those on monthly or long term...

Read more about this resource...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Great :xThumb:

Would it be worth putting the fun website address on there at the top, then if it ends up being shared anywhere at least it may encourage people to visit us. What ya think..?

LOL... Can you do one now on the other question they all keep asking..
"why wont the Three sim work in my unlocked MIFI"..:xdoh: :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Tonka ... if you would like to find the threads giving the reasons/solutions I'll happily put it into a document .... :xThumb:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Great stuff - many thanks. They sure like to make it confusing don't they! Motto: travel with two pre loaded data sims!
By George ... you've got it!!! :xgrin: Phrew ... thank goodness it makes sense!!! :xlaugh:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Excellent info. Many thanks. :xThumb::thanks3:

Did spot one minor typo for the next edition - half way down p.2 the first word in square brackets [*Not ... should have an 'e' on the end of it. Wouldn't matter except that the sentence still more of less makes sense with Not instead of Note, but now has the opposite meaning!

Did you get a definitive answer to the question of whether these sims can be first activated abroad? My impression was that everyone who had tried it had succeeded. Connection problems seemed to be related to roaming not being turned on, rather than any ban on activating while abroad.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for the note ref the 'not' ... duly amended and I've also put in a paragraph at the end of page 1 about activating the sim ... I've now uploaded an updated version ... go and have another shuftie and see if you can find any more bloopers. :xgrin:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Any idea how to check the remaining allowance and expiry date of the unused data?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Any idea how to check the remaining allowance and expiry date of the unused data?
Make sure you are using the Three sim for internet access then go here:

Then click on:

upload_2016-12-16_19-20-15.png

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... if there's anything anyone would like included in the instructions, or think it would be useful to include, please let me know.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Thanks for the note ref the 'not' ... duly amended and I've also put in a paragraph at the end of page 1 about activating the sim ... I've now uploaded an updated version ... go and have another shuftie and see if you can find any more bloopers. :xgrin:
Looks good on both counts.

This is a great resource Mel. It pulls together a lot of uncertainties & sets it all out very clearly. Much easier than trying to work it out from 3's web site!

Just being able to point to this will shorten a lot of future threads on the subject. :xsmile:

Brilliant job. Let's hope 3 don't change too much too soon!!

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for putting this together, really informative. I live in France and used one of these sims (got a 12 gb/1 year sim) whilst we were travelling in France over Christmas. So activated it at home, then went into airplane mode until we were actually on the road. Were away for about 15 days - it worked brilliantly! - and then when we got back home (still in France) put the ipad back into airplane mode.

So as we won't actually be back in UK to activate 'at home' for a while, will the sim assume we have been away all those days, or will the fact that we have "switched off" by going into airplane mode mean we will have just used the 15 days (ie less than a month so won't count as a month)??

Hope that's clear and would appreciate your help :) Also, I was so pleased with it that I've ordered a 24gb/2 year sim - does that have equivalent of 120 days in FAH countries?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for putting this together, really informative. I live in France and used one of these sims (got a 12 gb/1 year sim) whilst we were travelling in France over Christmas. So activated it at home, then went into airplane mode until we were actually on the road. Were away for about 15 days - it worked brilliantly! - and then when we got back home (still in France) put the ipad back into airplane mode.

So as we won't actually be back in UK to activate 'at home' for a while, will the sim assume we have been away all those days, or will the fact that we have "switched off" by going into airplane mode mean we will have just used the 15 days (ie less than a month so won't count as a month)??
No I'm afraid that unless you use it in the UK, or another non FAH country to 'reset' it, the next time you use it in a FAH country abroad, eg France, it will count the period in between as being 'available' abroad even though you didn't use it ... sorry!

Hope that's clear and would appreciate your help :) Also, I was so pleased with it that I've ordered a 24gb/2 year sim - does that have equivalent of 120 days in FAH countries?
Yes but within the usage restrictions given in the document ... you can get more out of it if you 'manage' it right.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Minxy Girl, thanks for the reply to Smiths in France. I have 2 of the 3 preloaded SIM cards. I had intended to use one going from UK to Spain and one going back. Unfortunately I have started and used some of both en route as I thought I had a problem with one but was just me getting something wrong!! I have not used either now for 3 months and will be another month before I do. I presume that from your above answer I will not be able to use either in Spain or France until after using them at home first? Is that the correct interpretation? If so ,at least I have enough time here to get one sent out from home for use on return journey.
Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxy Girl, thanks for the reply to Smiths in France. I have 2 of the 3 preloaded SIM cards. I had intended to use one going from UK to Spain and one going back. Unfortunately I have started and used some of both en route as I thought I had a problem with one but was just me getting something wrong!! I have not used either now for 3 months and will be another month before I do. I presume that from your above answer I will not be able to use either in Spain or France until after using them at home first? Is that the correct interpretation? If so ,at least I have enough time here to get one sent out from home for use on return journey.
Thanks for the info.
Yes that's my understanding of how the time limit works, but some people have been able to use them apparently over the time limit so you might be lucky, safest would be to have another sent out to you though.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks, a great help. So pleased I read this before we set off home. I would have thought I was doing something wrong or they had run out. Will order a new one but will try the other 2 first, will let you know the result.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Minxy Girl - with regard to the 'complete months' count, is the measurement done as calendar months or is it any period of 30 days? I'm guessing it is the latter so next time you update the document it might be an idea to have one of the examples starting mid-month.
Thanks for the resource - which I think has probably saved me clocking up any complete months on my 24Gb SIM!
Bill

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
@Minxy Girl great resource but could you document the gist of changes somewhere as many of us kinda know how we want to use the SIM so only need to know if specific conditions have changed. Ta.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just added the below to the 'update notes': :)

Updated 1 Feb 2017 to include the below on page 2, bullet point 3:

· The 24gb sim has a monthly cap of 12gb when used abroad.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl - with regard to the 'complete months' count, is the measurement done as calendar months or is it any period of 30 days? I'm guessing it is the latter so next time you update the document it might be an idea to have one of the examples starting mid-month.
Thanks for the resource - which I think has probably saved me clocking up any complete months on my 24Gb SIM!
Bill
This was already covered in bullet point 1 on top of page 2: :)
  • You are permitted to use the sims in a FAH country for a maximum time period of 2 complete months (ie 2 x 30 days, or 1 x 60 days) within a 12 month rolling time period (in the case of the 3gb sim it would be 60 days out of the 90 day time period).

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl great resource but could you document the gist of changes somewhere as many of us kinda know how we want to use the SIM so only need to know if specific conditions have changed. Ta.
I did mention it on another 'Three' thread but having not done updates before I didn't know 'how' doing updates worked ... now I do! :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxy Girl updated Three Mobile Broadband Info - Preloaded Data Sims with a new update entry:

Additional information added

Updated with the following amendments (in red below):

DATA SIMS AVAILABLE

Page 1 - First bullet point amended:
  • The ‘Data Reward Sim’ gives 200mb of free data every month with no need for it to have credit on/be topped-up and there is no monthly charge (if you do top-up the free data is used first). The only requirements are: you must register it to activate the free data allowance, use it at least once every 6 months (180 days)...

Read the rest of this update entry...

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Dear Guru Mel, excellent information in your resource, especially the '2 months in any 12 months limitation' which I had not appreciated. But my 2010 HTC phone runs on Android 2.3.5 (using giffgaff) and won't upgrade to Android 4.0 required for a Huawei. Okay, I could buy a new phone but, I do have an old iPhone. Do you happen to know whether I could put a data sim in that and use it as a hotspot, without a Three account for normal (calls/sms) usage?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm afraid I'm not 'up to speed' ref phone sims generally so am a bit confused about your reference to your HTC phone and Huawei (which I assume you mean a MIFI?) so don't really know what you are trying to ask. :confused:

I can't see any reason why you couldn't put a data sim in your iPhone and then use it in effect as a MIFI but I have no knowledge whatsoever about iPhones so can't say if it will work for sure. :rolleyes:

What you CANNOT do is put a phone sim in a MIFI as that will get 'barred' by the network provider as they can tell the difference. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back