Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi...arrived in Mosel area of Germany..
No 3 signal.......iBoost working a treat.
Yesterday as we travelled from Holland into Germany I estimate that every 10th vehicle was either a Motorhome or a Tugger.
As we drove down the Mosel all riverside campsites were doing great trade and looked quite full.
The aire we arrived at is also full.....its September...but its like summertime.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you tried rebooting your phone and/or a manual search for carriers?

I sometimes have to reboot my phone in France before I get 3G -I also change from automatic carrier selection to manual and choose the strongest carrier (normally Burgoyes)

Deleted User

I sometimes have to reboot my phone in France before I get 3G -I also change from automatic carrier selection to manual and choose the strongest carrier (normally Burgoyes)

Ditto!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)

I think this might be one of the reasons people complain about 3 not giving good speeds via their roaming partners. Burgoyes isn't a 3 roaming partner in France, although you can still establish a connection through them.

I can't remember who the official partners are without checking, but there are three of them. Orange is one & I think Free is another.

EDIT: To complete the story - my mifi connected to Burgoyes automatically, with 5/5 bars signal strength. But when I tried to make VoIP calls, there was a lot of stuttering. Manually logged on to Orange, which had a slightly poorer signal strength, but the connection speed now went up so that I could make VoIP calls with perfect clarity.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think this might be one of the reasons people complain about 3 not giving good speeds via their roaming partners. Burgoyes isn't a 3 roaming partner in France, although you can still establish a connection through them.

I can't remember who the official partners are without checking, but there are three of them. Orange is one & I think Free is another.

EDIT: To complete the story - my mifi connected to Burgoyes automatically, with 5/5 bars signal strength. But when I tried to make VoIP calls, there was a lot of stuttering. Manually logged on to Orange, which had a slightly poorer signal strength, but the connection speed now went up so that I could make VoIP calls with perfect clarity.
Actually on this trip we logged onto Orange, which was very fast. Previously orange would not let us log on. Maybe Three forgot to pay the bill

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi...arrived in Mosel area of Germany..
No 3 signal.......iBoost working a treat.
Yesterday as we travelled from Holland into Germany I estimate that every 10th vehicle was either a Motorhome or a Tugger.
As we drove down the Mosel all riverside campsites were doing great trade and looked quite full.
The aire we arrived at is also full.....its September...but its like summertime.
Berchesgaden area has been rammed all week, one off one one on. I wouldn't even bother if you dont have a booking.

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Just to let you know previously Jersey and Guernsey were not part of Free to Roam but are amongst those that have been added in last few days. I can say that I am overjoyed to have successfully connected from both Islands (I did need to go to Network settings and choose provider which coincidentally is my home provider but my contract with them is more expensive than 3 so will be changing my Jersey mobile provider to 3!!!!)
Was in Norfolk and Portsmouth last week using 3 sim card in mifi, then 2 days at home in Jersey, now in Guernsey for 4 days then departing here to St Malo to pick up m'home from storage then to S'hampton for Boat show, staying Ashurst Forest site couple of days then making way to Lincoln Show then back to France for 2 weeks m'home wandering. So really pleased I can use 3 mifi seamlessly - well near seamlessly just having to go into network settings everytime relocate.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp

Correction - Burgoyes is a 3 roaming partner in France, the other two being Orange & Free Mobile. I can't now remember who's network it was my mifi latched on to at first, but switching to Orange gave a better connection speed, despite a lower signal strength.

Deleted User
Correction - Burgoyes is a 3 roaming partner in France, the other two being Orange & Free Mobile. I can't now remember who's network it was my mifi latched on to at first, but switching to Orange gave a better connection speed, despite a lower signal strength.

Never ever been able to connect to Orange in France and I have tried lots of times, just comes up with 'failed' when I try to connect, I thought it was because they were not a 3 partner. Same thing happens with SFR, connected to Free at the moment but Bytel usually good and in the past have connected to one with a few numbers for a name but that is not coming up at all now, not seen Free before, it was not showing in early July.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Never ever been able to connect to Orange in France and I have tried lots of times, just comes up with 'failed' when I try to connect, I thought it was because they were not a 3 partner. Same thing happens with SFR, connected to Free at the moment but Bytel usually good and in the past have connected to one with a few numbers for a name but that is not coming up at all now, not seen Free before, it was not showing in early July.
Now you've jogged my memory, I suspect it was Bytel that my mifi logged on to automatically. I'm sure I was logged into Bytel in 2015. It's a bit confusing, because while by mifi has a 3 SIM card in it, my phone is on Vodafone, who's preferred partner is SFR, with Burgoyes as an alternative.

SFR are not one of 3's partners, so I wouldn't expect that to work (but by that token, neither should Bytel). See this page. Scroll to the bottom for a partner list. I wonder if 3 have recently changed who they partner with, which might explain why Bytel still worked, but slowly.

Free Mobile are relatively new, but have been operating for about 4 years, I believe.

I'm not sure who's brand name Bytell is, because they are not listed as a mobile provider under that name.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Morning Funsters...3 finally came alive...didnt need to do any setting changes...it just came on.....however it shows only 2g on the mifi this is why its taken for ever to send this.
Funny thing is...when we entered Germany from Holland on Sunday the Tom Tom stopped at the border...no maps, no data.
The Oyster failed on the same day...just spinning around finding nothing....then to top it all the 3 problem.
Now we didn't have a vote in Brexit and we drive a Spanish reg motorhome...so HOW ON EARTH DID THEY KNOW 2 BRITS WERE ENTERING, and why have they picked on us?

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We never got our 3 mifi working on the Mosel last month worked great in France and Spain we are in Portugal now no idea if Portugal is included yet I heard it was from Sept

Paul

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Ours is working OK now at Zell on the mosel, it was very slow when it first came On in Germany but that might have been the area with poor signal. (y) Bob.

Deleted User
Travelled from Belfort in France via the southernmost bridge in France and then along the Rhine to the Bodensee, no signal of any sort on the mifi in Germany so far but good signal from Vodafone.de on my mobile. 3 worked well in France as usual.

Using free site wifi at the moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back