Three Double Data on Mobile Broadband - 40GB (1 Viewer)

David Bunker

Free Member
Oct 29, 2015
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too many years
Three are currently offering double date on their mobile broadband packages.
We decided to sign up as we couldn't get home broadband due to a shortage of capacity.
Went in to the shop in Canterbury and were offered 40GB per month for £20 and a free home router.
Snapped their hand off as this was not on the website, working fine and getting a much better speed than from a fixed line.
The router is 12V as well so will go in the van :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I posted about this late last year - we have a 'monopoly' phone provider here called Kingston Communications (KC) so no BT, Virgin, Plusnet etc, just KC or go mobile! Having been with '3' previously but then with KC for 2 years, we went with '3' again in October last year and found at that time they were only trialling the £20 for 40gb & free router offer in Hull and the surrounding area due to this 'monopoly' as there are lots of '3' users here, probably a lot more than any other part of the country. It was only advertised on a billboards outside the local '3' shops, not on the web etc or offered over the phone but if you rang and specifically asked for it you could get it.

It works very well indeed and as you've found out the router itself is a 12v unit and the mains lead has a built in transformer, so all you need to do is get a 12v ciggy lighter one to fit and use it in the van instead ... exactly as we intend to do!

OP
OP
David Bunker

David Bunker

Free Member
Oct 29, 2015
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too many years
It's strange that they don't put it on the website. It was only by going in to the shop and asking to signup for a lesser deal that they suggested the 40GB deal. Can't really understand the logic but happy with the result. Didn't realise Hull was still under the tyranny of KC :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's strange that they don't put it on the website. It was only by going in to the shop and asking to signup for a lesser deal that they suggested the 40GB deal. Can't really understand the logic but happy with the result. Didn't realise Hull was still under the tyranny of KC :(
I was told that they hadn't put it on the website, or made it widely known about, so they didn't get inundated with requests for it ... this is what happened when they first started doing mobile phones and broadband years ago and their network simply couldn't support the demand made on it and as a consequence they ended up loosing customers, us included. Having had their fingers burnt by offering but not being able to deliver they are being more restrictive/careful so as not to lose customers again and make sure that the integrity of their network isn't affected.

OP
OP
David Bunker

David Bunker

Free Member
Oct 29, 2015
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too many years
Yes I saw your thread previously but as it was for Hull I didn't pay that much attention and didn't twig we are in fact getting the same deal.
Just to clarify for the non geographers Canterbury is nearly 250 miles further south than Hull so this deal should be available anywhere there is a Three shop and the staff have the photocopied A4 sheet with the offer details to hand :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes I saw your thread previously but as it was for Hull I didn't pay that much attention and didn't twig we are in fact getting the same deal.
Just to clarify for the non geographers Canterbury is nearly 250 miles further south than Hull so this deal should be available anywhere there is a Three shop and the staff have the photocopied A4 sheet with the offer details to hand :)
Yup, I am a Northerner ... you are a Southerner ... but we still talk to each other! :D

I must admit it was sooooooo satisfying for once for us up here to get the benefit of something you lot couldn't! :LOL:

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry if I "continue to" look stupid but does this operate outside the UK in Europe ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sorry if I "continue to" look stupid but does this operate outside the UK in Europe ?
You're not looking stupid at all, or sounding stupid either! :D

The sim that you get on the 24 month contract will work abroad in 'Feel at home' countries the same as the preloaded ones will which I've given details of on my info sheet below - although it was written mainly for those with preloaded sims the terms for use abroad for monthly sims are the same:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/three-mobile-broadband-info-preloaded-data-sims.220/

The router is 12v as I mentioned earlier so you can take it with you for a holiday too and won't need a separate MIFI ... unless you want to have internet away from your camper obviously as I don't think you want to lug a big leisure battery round with you to power the router. :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just to say my contract is 12 months rather than 24
Just double checked ... mine is 12 months too :rolleyes: ... it was blasted KC who insisted on 24 months ... couldn't wait to get shot of the money grabbers! :sneaky:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I posted about this late last year - we have a 'monopoly' phone provider here called Kingston Communications (KC) so no BT, Virgin, Plusnet etc, just KC or go mobile! Having been with '3' previously but then with KC for 2 years, we went with '3' again in October last year and found at that time they were only trialling the £20 for 40gb & free router offer in Hull and the surrounding area due to this 'monopoly' as there are lots of '3' users here, probably a lot more than any other part of the country. It was only advertised on a billboards outside the local '3' shops, not on the web etc or offered over the phone but if you rang and specifically asked for it you could get it.

It works very well indeed and as you've found out the router itself is a 12v unit and the mains lead has a built in transformer, so all you need to do is get a 12v ciggy lighter one to fit and use it in the van instead ... exactly as we intend to do!

Wow thats a long time that this monopoly has been on the go in Hull, I didn't think that KC was still in charge. I used my 3 phone as a hotspot anytime I was in Hull (which was quite often from 2002) & it worked perfectly. Thats really interesting that 3 are doing this deal & with a 12v router, time to rethink our interweb provider lol.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Wow thats a long time that this monopoly has been on the go in Hull, I didn't think that KC was still in charge. I used my 3 phone as a hotspot anytime I was in Hull (which was quite often from 2002) & it worked perfectly. Thats really interesting that 3 are doing this deal & with a 12v router, time to rethink our interweb provider lol.
This is especially good if, like us, you don't need a landline phone as we use our mobiles (£7.50 a month each with new handsets, 24m contracts) so never need it in the first place but had to have it in order to get the KC broadband ... :mad: ... instead of costing us £32 a month for a landline phone and broadband 35gb it now costs us just £20 for 40gb. (y)

OP
OP
David Bunker

David Bunker

Free Member
Oct 29, 2015
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too many years
Usually your router has a data usage feature which can be used. Need to login to the router web interface and see what there is.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Usually your router has a data usage feature which can be used. Need to login to the router web interface and see what there is.
Agree but lots of them only tell you your usage for the current time you are on line, and not a cumulative one for your contract period etc (eg current month).

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Do remember that the router provided by Three might be '12v' but will require a regulated power supply to maintain exactly 12v as your leisure battery will fluctuate a couple of volts in either direction depending on the state of charge. If you use a 'straight through' power cable, the router will fail given time (and you'll know that will be when you need it the most!).

We have them but don't have them listed as a separate item, but if there is enough interest I would do.

Hope that helps.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Do remember that the router provided by Three might be '12v' but will require a regulated power supply to maintain exactly 12v as your leisure battery will fluctuate a couple of volts in either direction depending on the state of charge. If you use a 'straight through' power cable, the router will fail given time (and you'll know that will be when you need it the most!).
Thanks Addie ... one of these would do wouldn't it?

One question though regarding the fluctuating current ... should we also run MIFIs and other equipment from a regulated power supply too?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Addie ... one of these would do wouldn't it?

One question though regarding the fluctuating current ... should we also run MIFIs and other equipment from a regulated power supply too?

If you read the listing that states that '12v output only achievable from a 24v input' - so will only produce 12v if you are in a 24v lorry. Not sure a Globecar counts ;-)

Ours are 12v-12v and would be £15 (plus postage, but you can find us at a show..), we've been using them on supplied Huawei routers for years. The only ones that have gone pop are those who wire them straight into 12v (usually by cutting the lead off the mains adapter, WHY!).

You will already be running MiFi devices from some sort of power regulation adapter as they are only USB 5v and so you will be using a cigar type to USB adapter I suspect similar to a phone.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Neither of those would work, because they are both 12v 1A and the Huawei requires 12v 2A.

I don't really want to validate a power supply that we haven't used or tested ourselves, but in theory a good quality supply which outputs 12v 2A would be fine.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Neither of those would work, because they are both 12v 1A and the Huawei requires 12v 2A.

I don't really want to validate a power supply that we haven't used or tested ourselves, but in theory a good quality supply which outputs 12v 2A would be fine.

Not sure why it would need 2A as it says 1A on the base ... am I missing something?

upload_2017-3-6_10-56-11.png

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The mains adapter in the box should be a 12v 2A output. We were advised by Huawei UK to match this output when supplying with a 12v power supply.
It only says 12v : 1 amp on mine ....

IMG_20170306_193528.jpg

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I have used my Mifi on a small mains usb charger, after a few hours it turned off, battery had gone flat. The charger couldn't supply enough power.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have used my Mifi on a small mains usb charger, after a few hours it turned off, battery had gone flat. The charger couldn't supply enough power.
We found a similar thing with using a USB charger for our Tom Tom sat nav as it can't keep up with the demand when it's being used, okay for charging when not in use, or if it's got a fair bit of charge in already, but not if its getting low ... yes we found out the hard way! :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back