Three 12gb sims now stoping on 9gb as fair usage... (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have just run into exactly this problem with our 3 sims, everything suggested all the data has been used, we don't keep close tabs so presumed it had, topped it up on line which gives poor rates compared to buying in UK, but it still wouldn't work

spoke to 3 on our phone Vodafone contract to dial from overseas number, so no cost for call at least, found out the sim wasn't empty but had been stopped at 8Gb although they admitted it was actually 9Gb used, but we couldn't use the top already paid for until the monthly reset

a few words were had and they agreed to give us a complimentary 1Gb to use , better than nothing but we had just paid for 8Gb :(

they did tell us though that all 3 PAYG cards reset counters on 21st of month, not actually sure about that and possibly less than coincidental that our first use this trip was 21st, but could be useful info, we came home on 21st so didn't get a chance to check that out, problem for us was the top up is only valid for 30 days so will be wasted o_O

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello all,

After a trying time here in Lymington with BT reliability I gave up on them and moved to a Three 4G Sim which we use as home broadband.

We pay £30.00 a month for 100GB with Go Binge included on a one month rolling contract.

We also have the benefit of 51 MBPS download. We chose a one month rolling contract just in case.

I think at present it's the best deal available - unless anyone knows of a better deal...

Regards,

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello @webby1

Apples and Oranges?

I thought it was obvious but I am happy to explain.

The cost per month per GB is 100 divided by £30 = 30p per GB.

Go Binge is included free of charge, so Netflix etc is delivered free within Europe.

I was trying to show that by using Go Binge for streaming, the heavy data use is not taken from the 12GB limit.

The estimate for the average UK broadband home user is 10GB per month with just email and web browsing.

Please see https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/broadband-data-usage-limits.html

For example; last month we used 62GB of Go Binge for Netflix viewing - leaving the 100GB for general surfing.

For us it is a virtual unlimited data system which we can unplug and take across the channel when we tour.

I was trying to point Funsters to a more workable / affordable solution.

Regards,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
we have just run into exactly this problem with our 3 sims, everything suggested all the data has been used, we don't keep close tabs so presumed it had, topped it up on line which gives poor rates compared to buying in UK, but it still wouldn't work

spoke to 3 on our phone Vodafone contract to dial from overseas number, so no cost for call at least, found out the sim wasn't empty but had been stopped at 8Gb although they admitted it was actually 9Gb used, but we couldn't use the top already paid for until the monthly reset

a few words were had and they agreed to give us a complimentary 1Gb to use , better than nothing but we had just paid for 8Gb :(

they did tell us though that all 3 PAYG cards reset counters on 21st of month, not actually sure about that and possibly less than coincidental that our first use this trip was 21st, but could be useful info, we came home on 21st so didn't get a chance to check that out, problem for us was the top up is only valid for 30 days so will be wasted o_O
I would seriously suggest that you get in touch and put in a complaint via their Customer Services that you weren't given a warning that despite being able to buy the extra data you wouldn't be able to use it abroad ... if that gets you no-where I've probably still got the email address for the CEO somewhere ... :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hello @webby1

Apples and Oranges?

I thought it was obvious but I am happy to explain.

The cost per month per GB is 100 divided by £30 = 30p per GB.

Go Binge is included free of charge, so Netflix etc is delivered free within Europe.

I was trying to show that by using Go Binge for streaming, the heavy data use is not taken from the 12GB limit.

The estimate for the average UK broadband home user is 10GB per month with just email and web browsing.

Please see https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/broadband-data-usage-limits.html

For example; last month we used 62GB of Go Binge for Netflix viewing - leaving the 100GB for general surfing.

For us it is a virtual unlimited data system which we can unplug and take across the channel when we tour.

I was trying to point Funsters to a more workable / affordable solution.

Regards,
Fine, but will all that work while roaming abroad for long periods which is what the OP was about.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
In Portugal we use local sim meo this time nos last time both a euro a day, meo seems to have better coverage so far on this trip. :D2

12g three we save for the rest of the time, had a few stopped, just put another in, and them finish the stopped ones back in the UK. (y) Bob.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Our earlier trip last year I found in the NOS site that you could get a 30 day sim for €25,but I think only at NOS shops as Worten only have the €15 for 15 day ones.

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes

Hello @webby1

£6,000? My contract says 1p per MB. (up to £42.50 Data roaming limit)

With all said above can I introduce my Apple flavoured "over 12GB email and web surfing back-up plan"?

1. My iPhone data allowance tethering
2. Dawn's iPhone data allowance tethering
3. Our Huawei Mifi device with 24GB in 24 months use (thanks @Minxy Girl )

Oh, and Three's Data Passport - details copied below. Probably best saved for rainy days stuck in the motorhome.

I think it's also fair to point out that if Three's partners don't provide a signal fast enough to stream Netflix then exceeding the 12GB usage cap would be almost impossible to achieve without constant internet use on my part.

I'm still trying to point Funsters to a more workable / affordable solution whether it be apples or oranges or both.

Regards,

Colin

About the Data Passport.
The Data Passport gives you the freedom to use the mobile internet as you like for £5 a day in the UK and 78 destinations worldwide. You can search, tweet, upload, browse, email and stream audio and video as much as you like until midnight (UK time), and our standard TrafficSense™ policies won’t apply. Find out how to buy the Data Passport here.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
3 will now cut u off,at 12gig,monthly sim,9gig payg,when abroad,I've used 3 for sometime,but since they stopped roaming charges,its mire expensive.Simyo,sim here in spain,€17,20gig,great speeds

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've just been on chat with three,as I've used 11gb here in the UK and I asked when we get to Spain on Wednesday how much I will have left. One person told me that I'll only have 1gb to use there in the 20days I have left in my rolling contract. I had 19 gb left so I said I wasn't happy and I was going to cancel my contract.
They transferred me to complaints as I said I wasnt happy and the new one called Vikram said that as soon as I get to Spain I have 12gb to use and then I get charged 78p a mb.. I have kept a copy of the chat just in case.
He also added 9gb to my account to be used there but I'll still keep an eye on it and probably use Meo when I get to portugal.15€for 15gb for 15 days .

Reactions: DBK

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello @webby1

Hello all,

Webby1, I am leaving this post now - horses and water?

To everyone else, I can only speak as I find.

Regards,

Colin

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
3 are very clear with regard to data limits out with the UK. If PAYG you get 9GB regardless of the amount of data you bought. If you have a contract, even if its an all you can eat data package you are restricted to 12GB and are now no longer disconnected when limit reached and as others have said you start being charged.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
3 are very clear with regard to data limits out with the UK. If PAYG you get 9GB regardless of the amount of data you bought. If you have a contract, even if its an all you can eat data package you are restricted to 12GB and are now no longer disconnected when limit reached and as others have said you start being charged.
That may be clrar now, but it was nowhere to be seen when I bought my preloaded PAYG sims earlier this year. The rules then were based upon time limits, not data limits as set out in @Minxy Girl helpful posts.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
You'll need to register the sim with '3' and check the usage on there as the Huawei may not be telling you the truth about your actual usage which could be higher.

My 3 Mifi app always shows i’ve used more than the 3 main site... albeit i’m a UK only user at moment.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Not sure what to make of this I bought 3 three 12 gig cards for our travels used one from January through to July France Spain Portugal Italy Germany Netherlands Belgium went home for six weeks back again in Spain now .. still using the first one???? Use it only occasionally but at least twice a week to check emails and update blog ohh and of course check what you lot are up to I must have a faulty card or Just lucky?

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Not sure what to make of this I bought 3 three 12 gig cards for our travels used one from January through to July France Spain Portugal Italy Germany Netherlands Belgium went home for six weeks back again in Spain now .. still using the first one???? Use it only occasionally but at least twice a week to check emails and update blog ohh and of course check what you lot are up to I must have a faulty card or Just lucky?

The app or the three site will tell you how much data you have used, if your a low user and only have used say 5gb in that time then your getting good value, I’m getting the same amount but I’m greedy and want it all....:D2

Deleted User
I've just been on chat with three,as I've used 11gb here in the UK and I asked when we get to Spain on Wednesday how much I will have left. One person told me that I'll only have 1gb to use there in the 20days I have left in my rolling contract. I had 19 gb left so I said I wasn't happy and I was going to cancel my contract.
They transferred me to complaints as I said I wasnt happy and the new one called Vikram said that as soon as I get to Spain I have 12gb to use and then I get charged 78p a mb.. I have kept a copy of the chat just in case.
He also added 9gb to my account to be used there but I'll still keep an eye on it and probably use Meo when I get to portugal.15€for 15gb for 15 days .

NOS is €15 for 15 days unlimited and if you are very lucky and top it up online you may get a bonus, I did :)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks I'll be searching for a NOS sim card then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back