Threat of legal action Portugal - having small panic here (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
They were ruled by a right wing dictator Salazar from 33 to 74. They were considered fascists by many and Salazar was seen as very similar to Franco. After the Carnation Revolution they had a troublesome return to democracy. There are still many who will tell you what it was like under the dictatorship

They've got the boots -- that's enough for me.

Having witnessed an agitated Portuguese police officer strutting around in his shiny knee-length leather boots following an incident, I was very much reminded of the country's previous dictatorship status :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes but only 8 specific ones which are;

drink driving
drug driving
using a mobile phone
speeding
running a red light
no helmet on a motor bike
no seat belt
using a forbidden lane.

Nothing else can be chased up using the cross border directive.

If you have not given them the name/vehicle details then they have been obtained illegally .
So effectively its purely moving traffic offences then.
Illegal parking etc is excluded.
If that truly is the case tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like the OPs letter isn't a legal document anyway.
I would use it to light the fire.

This information letter has to be written in the same language as the registration certificate in the Member State of registration and it must include relevant information about the traffic offence – the nature of the offence, the date and time of detection, the article of the relevant piece of legislation infringed – and the legal consequences of the offence.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure Portugal was ever facist. They were controlled by the military but never supported facist Spain, Italy, etc in the 1930’s. what facism gotta do with a parkingfine?
Just visit the Museo do Aljube in Lisbon if you want to find out a bit more about that period. Salazar was just as bad as Franco just on a smaller scale. The poor people of Portugal suffered dreadfully. I visited a few years ago with my daughter who can speak Portuguese as quite a bit hadn't been translated into English yet but the staff were busy doing that for the tourists. Other languages as well of course but English first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User

Having witnessed an agitated Portuguese police officer strutting around in his shiny knee-length leather boots following an incident, I was very much reminded of the country's previous dictatorship status :)

Yes some of them like to strut their stuff in white peaked hats, sunglasses and high boots.

I don't know whether this is by individual choice because I have seen different uniforms together on many occasions.

The GNR dress uniform is black or very dark blue and includes the 'pickelhaube' type helmet used by the German army in WW1.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"You don't want to go to Prison here,even WE don't want to" Among the advice given when we first came over. There are all sorts of Police units here,even "Garda Escolar ?" a training unit? But all these pale into insignificance..
Watch out for the "Nasty Police". An old lady neighbour had gone missing,they came around and asked to look in our outbuildings,after,i said i would help search the local area with them,it was very woody,with paths made by animals........... One was stalking me (Not very well),made a point that i had seen him and went home they found the Lady later,she was in the first stages of dementia...Sad.
Having said all that,at a Road side check up (Not unusual) one officer called his mate over...Mmmmm,i thought. He then handed back my drivers licence and said "You will have to renew this soon,it expires in two months". and waved us on our way.
Regular Road checks for all sorts,South bound out of Palencia Spain,so be aware.
Tea Bag

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
They were ruled by a right wing dictator Salazar from 33 to 74. They were considered fascists by many and Salazar was seen as very similar to Franco. After the Carnation Revolution they had a troublesome return to democracy. There are still many who will tell you what it was like under the dictatorship
You can tell they were living under a dictatorship, many older portugese people are about 3 feet tall with rickets, dead giveaway :(

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

The GNR are technically part of the army hence the uniform style. In big cities and for major crimes you have the PSP who are 'real' police. Our local GNR wear standard army boots and have now donned their summer polo shirts. The are quite friendly and certainly not officious and get on fine with the locals. It was a GNR battalion that returned to it's barracks after the protesters put carnations in their gun barrels effectively ending the dictatorship, so perhaps not great supporters of non democratic government.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Just for information - we didn't hear another thing after this. Another year has passed so I believe that time has now run out. Having said that, we moved house so if they sent it to the same address they wouldn't find us. Next time we go to Portugal I will report if we get picked up by the fuzz ;)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just for information - we didn't hear another thing after this. Another year has passed so I believe that time has now run out. Having said that, we moved house so if they sent it to the same address they wouldn't find us. Next time we go to Portugal I will report if we get picked up by the fuzz ;)
Never mind getting picked up by the fuzz you might end up getting banged up as a flight risk!:whistle:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You may not be able to with handcuffs on:LOL::LOL::LOL:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've just exited Portugal via the Algarve motorway. Nowhere to register on the road. Martin called into a gas station to ask. They could sell cards for varying amounts which you then have to activate, in Portuguese only, according to the lady working there. Martin declined trying!!!

We've now driven the length of the Portuguese motorway and are now back in Spain. After five days Martin will access the website and try to pay. Failing that we are, potentially, debtors to Portugal :LOL:

Last edited:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We've just exited Portugal via the Algarve motorway. Nowhere to register on the road. Martin called into a gas station to ask. They could sell cards for varying amounts which you then have to activate, in Portuguese only, according to the lady working there. Martin declined trying!!!

We've now driven the length of the Portuguese motorway and are now back in Spain. After five days Martin will access the website and try to pay. Failing that we are, potentially, debtors to Portugal :LOL:

One thing to consider is that Portuguese fines for non payment escalate every rapidly though most people seem to escape although there have been a few reports of UK vehicles being pulled over for some minor infringement and they then check for outstanding fines, oops 1000 euros to get the vehicle released

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
One thing to consider is that Portuguese fines for non payment escalate every rapidly though most people seem to escape although there have been a few reports of UK vehicles being pulled over for some minor infringement and they then check for outstanding fines, oops 1000 euros to get the vehicle released

We have a Spanish registered vehicle so not sure whether that will come under the same regs. As far as I know Spain still don't give out vehicle details to other countries.

We are more than willing to pay and will try to do so next week online. If not might, possibly, call and tell them their system is sh1t!!!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014

Apparently the tolls on the Algarve motorway (and some other routes) are illegal, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Deleted User
Apparently the tolls on the Algarve motorway (and some other routes) are illegal, so I wouldn't worry too much.
We have a Spanish registered vehicle so not sure whether that will come under the same regs. As far as I know Spain still don't give out vehicle details to other countries.

We are more than willing to pay and will try to do so next week online. If not might, possibly, call and tell them their system is sh1t!!!

I have posted these links several times, prepay online, top up online

http://www.tollcard.pt/fetcwcm/wcmservlet/en/comprar/comprar-online.html

From this which give full details of all toll roads and costs

Link Removed

I think the Portuguese authorities and especially the GNR Traffico may disagree:)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have posted these links several times, prepay online, top up online

http://www.tollcard.pt/fetcwcm/wcmservlet/en/comprar/comprar-online.html

From this which give full details of all toll roads and costs

Link Removed

I think the Portuguese authorities and especially the GNR Traffico may disagree:)

Martin tried on the internet this morning but the signal kept dropping out. He thought he could buy one at a fuel station as we've done in the past but couldn't get something where he could register in English.

We don't owe much, and we overpaid for a ticket a few years ago. He will try online after five days.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Quite probably, but the EC have told them the tolls are illegal (because the roads were built with EU money) and ordered them to remove the tolls or face legal action.

Deleted User
Quite probably, but the EC have told them the tolls are illegal (because the roads were built with EU money) and ordered them to remove the tolls or face legal action.

Yes I heard that 6 years ago when they introduced the tolls, they're still there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back