Threat of legal action Portugal - having small panic here (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The letter doesn't ask for money it asks for a defence. I have written my version of events but don't know whether this is the right thing to do.

I would say you have done the right thing, if they fine you just pay it ;) and free park where you will not get a ticket until you have recovered your costs.:D

We have been going to Portugal for 10 years never been on a toll road ( that I know of ), free parked / wild camped and probably drove over the speed limit, :eek: but if a fine is popped through the letter box I would just pay it because I would have done what they said. :whistle:
We have been to Armacao de Pera but never over night and was under the impression you could sleep there, but were very strict on getting the chairs out
(camping) .:D
The trouble with these apps / websites like park 4 night is that people send them the information normally because they have parked there and not had a problem. :rolleyes:
Camperstop Europe is our bible, they have lots of tolerated parking marked in the book, we park at them and if we got a ticket so be it, if someone said it was an aire and you think it's a genuine place to park motorhomes and get a ticket, then your not so happy. :mad:
We got a ticket in Denmark :rolleyes: we forgot to put our
2015-03-14-11.30.14-225x300.jpg
In the window, but because they had every language on the sign except English we got away with it. :LOL:
We got a parking ticket in germany that had a car on the parking sign ;) obviously only for cars ignored it, didn't hear anymore about it. :whistle:
Hopefully it just a warning but they will have marked your card so watch where you park, oh yes we have parked at Faro but you shouldn't. :LOL: Bob.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
@Mags52
I have read all the way through this thread and there is in my opinion some very good and some very poor advice.
According to the written rule any correspondence should be in the language of the recipient (English). I would reply to them in English explaining that you do not understand the letter and quote the rule number dictated by the EU as at this time we are still a fully paid member of said union.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flooky

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New
I think if a policeman said "its a warning no fine " I would take it as that and do nothin.
but I am a bit trusting.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
This is the reply I have received from Mike Fitz, a star contributer to the SBMCC, most especially on anything electrical but also 'Our Man In Portugal'

"I have read the thread and would advise replying with a statement of the facts, no notice about overnight parking, just a warning from GNR, not understanding what was signed, and any other facts. However if she was camping, that is with anything outside the van, say a chair, it would be difficult to claim just parking.

If at all possible get a translation by a Portuguese, the structure should be very formal. Google translate may not convey the message correctly.

The fine mentality is rife, I have been fined for stupid things, like building a shed on my land. In fact I don't know anyone who has not been fined by the local council."

Buena suerte

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
This is the reply I have received from Mike Fitz, a star contributer to the SBMCC, most especially on anything electrical but also 'Our Man In Portugal'

"I have read the thread and would advise replying with a statement of the facts, no notice about overnight parking, just a warning from GNR, not understanding what was signed, and any other facts. However if she was camping, that is with anything outside the van, say a chair, it would be difficult to claim just parking.

If at all possible get a translation by a Portuguese, the structure should be very formal. Google translate may not convey the message correctly.

The fine mentality is rife, I have been fined for stupid things, like building a shed on my land. In fact I don't know anyone who has not been fined by the local council."

Buena suerte
Thank you for your help. I suspect we will get a fine but will do our best to state our position. I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this for us.
Kind regards

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Go on Mags, go on the run I dare you.... Thelma and Louise the fugitives of Portugal...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I would say you have done the right thing, if they fine you just pay it ;) and free park where you will not get a ticket until you have recovered your costs.:D

We have been going to Portugal for 10 years never been on a toll road ( that I know of ), free parked / wild camped and probably drove over the speed limit, :eek: but if a fine is popped through the letter box I would just pay it because I would have done what they said. :whistle:
We have been to Armacao de Pera but never over night and was under the impression you could sleep there, but were very strict on getting the chairs out
(camping) .:D
The trouble with these apps / websites like park 4 night is that people send them the information normally because they have parked there and not had a problem. :rolleyes:
Camperstop Europe is our bible, they have lots of tolerated parking marked in the book, we park at them and if we got a ticket so be it, if someone said it was an aire and you think it's a genuine place to park motorhomes and get a ticket, then your not so happy. :mad:
We got a ticket in Denmark :rolleyes: we forgot to put our
View attachment 207815
In the window, but because they had every language on the sign except English we got away with it. :LOL:
We got a parking ticket in germany that had a car on the parking sign ;) obviously only for cars ignored it, didn't hear anymore about it. :whistle:
Hopefully it just a warning but they will have marked your card so watch where you park, oh yes we have parked at Faro but you shouldn't. :LOL: Bob.
What type of vehicle were you travelling / overnight parking in ?? was it a Motorhome or a PVC Etc. interested in this as we have a C class and in future would like to wild camp ,,,Sorry!!! overnight park in Portugal ...

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Not sure I would trust the advice of someone who thinks that all friendly policeman in any country are 'lying scum'.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
What type of vehicle were you travelling / overnight parking in ?? was it a Motorhome or a PVC Etc. interested in this as we have a C class and in future would like to wild camp ,,,Sorry!!! overnight park in Portugal ...

Hi we have had C Class / A Class and now a PVC it doesn't really matter if they are going to give you a ticket or move you on, we find if there is only a few you get away with more. :LOL: Bob.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the reply Bob, good to know that.

Freddie

Free Member
Jul 27, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
We have just left Armacao de Pera having stayed on the football car park overlooking the sea for seven nights. We paid €1.50 per night to stay. The only condition is that you don't carry out camping activities, ie no chairs out, levelling blocks etc. If you do you may be fined by GNR.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have just left Armacao de Pera having stayed on the football car park overlooking the sea for seven nights. We paid €1.50 per night to stay. The only condition is that you don't carry out camping activities, ie no chairs out, levelling blocks etc. If you do you may be fined by GNR.
We stayed there and got the fine. We didn't have anything outside the van. I would be careful about being too sure about this. Other people did have things outside but not us but we still got picked up.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The only condition is that you don't carry out camping activities, ie no chairs out, levelling blocks

Sad to say this is not EXACTLY correct...

True, I often stay there and have had no trouble BUT occasionally the GNR have a "swoop" and move folk off after taking the reg number and sometimes issuing a "warning" form, even if you show no "signs" of camping.

As far as I can tell , this is a random happening based on how the GNR/Council bosses feel at the time.

I will still overnight there but then, I live dangerously... ;)

JJ :cool:

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
Zains Pops how did they chase you down, did they get your details from DVLA ?

Pay up. And move on life’s too short to worry about £150.
I once had a speeding fine in Norway, they chased it down. I paid up and moved on. That cost £750.00.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We parked at Armacao de Pera

In accordance with the content of the order, you are alleged to have carried out caravanning in an undue place on 20 January 2017.

Mags

Was this the car park at the northern end of the beach ? When we were there, enjoying the cheap friendly campsite behind, we picked up on people being fined for camping if they put tables or chairs etc outside their vehicle. Notices were warning people of this.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
What was the outcome of this @Mags52..we're you fined ?

Kath

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Zains Pops how did they chase you down, did they get your details from DVLA ?
We are now part of a European directive that came in last year, May I think, that allows cross border policing of driving offences. All EU and EEA countries (I think) police forces can track you down via the DVLA for a wide variety of motoring offences and legally get you to pay their fines via organisations in the UK.

Nigel Tate

Free Member
Feb 4, 2011
Matlock
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
It has not happened to me but I think that if you get a piece of paper out and a pen and ask the ploliceman to write down what he/she says then you have it in writing, what happens if they make a demand and you say no, do they impound it, or just shoot you. Wouldn't be good for the tourist industry.
Bear in mind though that Spain, Portugal, Greece and further back Italy and Germany were all Fascist countries, the first three not long ago, the Chief of Police might still have the Gardia Civile, big stick and machine guns mentality. If you see the news about Catalonian independence march and what they were doing to people tring to vote about it. The old habits do linger. Probably find the police get paid if there is enough money in the pot to actually pay them. NEVER sign anything you do not understand you might end up like the woman in Egypt with good know how many years in prison for UK pain killers. She signed something she did not know and it was a full admission that she was a drug smuggler.
Not sure Portugal was ever facist. They were controlled by the military but never supported facist Spain, Italy, etc in the 1930’s. what facism gotta do with a parkingfine?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Not sure Portugal was ever facist. They were controlled by the military but never supported facist Spain, Italy, etc in the 1930’s. what facism gotta do with a parkingfine?
There seemed to be a lot of communists when I was there, mind you communism and Portugals membership of the EU is very much a one way street, all of it going to Portugal......

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The letter doesn't ask for money it asks for a defence. I have written my version of events but don't know whether this is the right thing to do.
I know this is a bit late but I hope you wrote your response in the same nonsensical way that translated.
Made very little sense at all.
I would have wrote back requesting it written in PROPER English in the way they are asking for your reply in Portuguese.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
that allows cross border policing of driving offences.

Yes but only 8 specific ones which are;

drink driving
drug driving
using a mobile phone
speeding
running a red light
no helmet on a motor bike
no seat belt
using a forbidden lane.

Nothing else can be chased up using the cross border directive.

If you have not given them the name/vehicle details then they have been obtained illegally .

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

They were ruled by a right wing dictator Salazar from 33 to 74. They were considered fascists by many and Salazar was seen as very similar to Franco. After the Carnation Revolution they had a troublesome return to democracy. There are still many who will tell you what it was like under the dictatorship

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back